Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Like Tree489Likes

Thread: 25-06 why hasn't it achieved fame and success in New Zealand?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How come I cant access any posts beyond post number #87 on this thread?
    Having read the whole thread, maybe you're just lucky!

because we already had the mighty poohseventy and the humble twoforfree to cover anything it could do just as well if not better.....

Thinking about it a little, North america has quite an assortment of critters. Bear, deer, beavers, coyotes, alligators, to name a few.

I suspect the 25/06's claim to fame was that it was versatile enough to zap most animals.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Oddly the thread showed unread and 7 pages when I last posted but page 7 was not accessible and my post appeared on page 6
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

6.5x55 Swede, all you need.

(And maybe a 6'2" 32dd, blonde Swede )
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Anyone else ever see that Geoff Thomas hunting video?
    Roars up a red stag (his guide did), he shoots it at about 10m.... then remarks "the 2506 is really flat shooting at that pace"
    Cracked me up
    Wirehunt and Max Headroom like this.

If a 100 grain 6mm bullet is touted as being suitable for 90% of NZ game, what is a120 grain 25 calibre bullet capable of? I would say easily just as much.
    shooternz and Strummer like this.

All you really need is the rifle you have in your hand and more TIME to hunt with it!
    norsk and bigred like this.

Always wanted one but never got one. If a 130gr 270 is ok cant quite see why a 117 25 cal at similar speed wouldn't be acceptable. If a cheap one came up I'd have it.
    One of my cousins husband,who does a crap load of shooting and gets a lot of deer went to a 2506 years ago from a 270.
    His first decent trial was 3 deer nearly 400m away. Got them all. he was pretty happy with it
    Last edited by csmiffy; 01-05-2019 at 04:27 PM.
    Strummer likes this.

6.5-06 would be good.
    Wirehunt and superdiver like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Always wanted one but never got one. If a 130gr 270 is ok cant quite see why a 117 25 cal at similar speed wouldn't be acceptable. If a cheap one came up I'd have it.
    One of my cousins husband,who does a crap load of shooting and gets a lot of deer went to a 2506 years ago from a 270.
    His first decent trial was 3 deer nearly 400m away. Got them all. he was pretty happy with it
    true that...there was a good tang safety Ruger on TM a few months back for cheap that had me sorely tempted.

I've had the 25-06 it's a very capable caliber you can't compare it with the 270 as the 270 has more grunt and shoots 130gn projectiles but I would say i'd own a 25-06 rather than a 243 and I've owned both the 25-06 is a comfortable caliber to use I used it for wild dogs, pigs all ferals even wild cattle but with the cattle shot placement was vital I found it was a very flat shooter and deadly accurate and reliable I made my own ammo I used a 100gn projectile and I found it would kill just as good as a 117-120gn projectile probably the speed factor (hydraulic shock) I've never shot deer but i'm pretty sure the 25-06 would handle the mid range size deer or even the larger ones one of the reasons I see with the 25-06 not getting a leg up is there are too many calibers that can be tinkered with to mimic the 25-06's capabilities by souping the loads and projectile weights but for a standard caliber with no frills it is a very good caliber I have pushed it like the other calibers and man can you get them performing but I found it perfect as it was ''standard''
    I needed a bigger caliber for the wild cattle and I couldn't afford to run an extra rifle so with a heavy heart I traded the 25-06 in on a 7mm mag and I can tell you I still miss that rifle it's a caliber amid calibers but unfortunately it can be mimicked by other calibers and that's what people like to do these days but you'll find the older shooters will stick to the standard calibers not as much mucking around trying to hone things in. just my 2cents Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    That's what I use to , or for a bit more thump the 120 corelokt work wonders on Tahr , iv never played around with mine much I got an accurate load using the 117 & 120 so just stuck with it zeroed 3inches high at 100 , always toyed with the idea of trying the 70gn just for kicks maybe on some pesky goats or something but then that would be like starting from scratch figuring out a load & rezeroing so maybe not , anyway its a good cal & used to stand out a bit from the likes of a 308 with less recoil ,but you don't notice it much these days with suppressors .
    Just put a Sonic 45 on mine and put a few sighters through it last weekend, was great!! Recoil felt less too.

Had one when they became available in NZ late 1960's I think, only could get 120 Rem Core-loc , worked like a solid, straight thru on light deer. Later used the 100 core-loc, worked ok. Later went to the 257 Roberts and hand loads, that's a real 25 cal. Now have a 250 Savage that I'm playing with.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Well, I’ve had two of them and shot several hundred critters with them including: roe, muntjac, red, fallow, whitetail, foxes and coyotes. All seemed to be as dead as when shot with anything else.

I suspect they aren’t really popular because of the limited supply of higher BC projectiles, availability of off the shelf ammo, and the wide variety of other chambering son the market.

I used 100 grain TTSX, 100 and 115 grain Nosler BTs, 110 accubonds, and 117 SSTs over the years in mine. I think the 115 BTs were the best all rounders. TTSX were good close in, but terrible past about 250m. 100 BTs were too destructive.

.25-06 relies on speed to do its work and I found mine to be poor at anything beyond 300. Two wounded reds with long follow ups in Scotland taught me that 250 should be my personal limit.

Blackjack in the US have a high BC 131 grain projectile, but it needs a fast twist barrel to stabilise, so isn’t likely to catch on here.

I have moved on to bigger chamberings since I moved over here as I’m generally after reds and tahr now and although .25-06 can handle them, prefer something larger with heavy for caliber projectiles.