Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 77 gr Sierra Matchking on game

Actually thinking now it may have been the 69smk rather than 77 that I tried.

Had good results from the Hornady 68bthp on wallabies (bang-flop), haven't shot any goats or deer with them but know others who have found them effective.

Haven't shot a deer with them either, but I would be happy to. Only shot goats at varying ranges. Wounding seems disproportionate for caliber. Normally see a golf ball size exit hole with lots of little bits of copper around it. Big blood loss. First time I ever really saw consistent bang flop with a .223. Oh my friend finds the same thing with 60gr NBT's. Has shot goats and deer with them.
    Toby and rockland like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The SMK's work well at mk262 start velocity. Good luck trying to duplicate it with factory .223 or handloads. You will find that most heavy factory loaded .223 with heavier projects has a MV in the 2400-2500 fps range.
    Yes I have not got there yet, Guncity 69gr SMK ADI 223 is 2940fps, and about 3/4MOA no signs of stress. I am still 150fps short of that and its accuracy but I am not at max load yet, hopefully BM2 will get me there no signs of flat primers / stress etc. 77gr PMC xtac I have not chrono'd yet but its very accurate (has anyone?) so is my data point / bench mark to match. There are low load nodes around min load but I need all the velocity I can get for 600yds.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

That's the problem with .223. It needs all the MV it can get if you want to slay meat further out

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Haven't shot a deer with them either, but I would be happy to. Only shot goats at varying ranges. Wounding seems disproportionate for caliber. Normally see a golf ball size exit hole with lots of little bits of copper around it. Big blood loss. First time I ever really saw consistent bang flop with a .223. Oh my friend finds the same thing with 60gr NBT's. Has shot goats and deer with them.
    Try bring that up on the forum and watch it turn into you just not being able to shoot

When you plug something multiple times cuz you think you missed you start to doubt yourself.
    Toby likes this.

I haven't personally used Bryn's Targex 69gn projectiles, but lots of people rave about their hunting application.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Think I`ll give the 77 gr Sierra Matchkings a miss then. Had a couple of one-shot kills on pigs last week with Federal .223 blue box 64 gr SP,and recovered an expanded projectile from a big billygoat.
    Unfortunately the NZ agents seem to have dropped this load in favour of the Fusion 62 gr so I stocked up on Winchester 64 gr Powerpoint which is another excellent factory load.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I haven't personally used Bryn's Targex 69gn projectiles, but lots of people rave about their hunting application.
    Yes, They are great on deer.
    I'm keen to try the 6grn plastic tipped sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    T...Winchester 64 gr Powerpoint which is another excellent factory load.
    My 223 didn't like that stuff much at all, I was amazed how much variation there was between projectiles when you line a few up and look at them.

The old Sierra 60gr hp is a good animal killer too.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 14-09-2015 at 11:16 PM.

[QUOTE=GravelBen;398191]My 223 didn't like that stuff much at all, I was amazed how much variation there was between projectiles when you line a few up and look at them.

I will shoot a few groups over the chrony to check accuracy & consistency in my rifles...thanks for your comment.

So, if any of you guys have a spare box of 77gr SMK I am keen to try it, I have new boxes of 69gr SMK and 65gr SGK to swap.