Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree229Likes

Thread: An accuracy challenge

Kiwishooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    G'Day Fella's,

Here is a 5 group shot with my .22-250AI.
    Attachment 1448

I'm not sure what the rifle is capable of shooting, as it would need a better BR shooter than me, to do it!

Doh!
    Homer
    What range do you shoot on in Canberra? Kiwi

Impressive Rifle/ load details?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    G'Day Fella's,

Here is a 5 group shot with my .22-250AI.
    Attachment 1448

Doh!
    Homer
    I'm not sure what the rifle is capable of shooting, as it would need a better BR shooter than me, to do it!

It seems to be plenty good enough Homer. Its a hunting rig? If so and its consistent it wont need to be any better. Nice.

an example of the shooter not doing his part with my light rifle in 7mmSAUM.... Didn't let the rifle cool enough between shots, fluffing the odd one including one shot at the wrong target

3 shot groups are easy but with a light barrel and warm gun and starting to snatch the trigger (light rifle, no break and 180's doing 2700+ recoil is getting up there a little ) those last to shots quite often stuff things up. Recoil flinch is defintly part of it and I need to do more with the 243AI again to stop snatching at the trigger...no chance of whatching the impact with the 7mm

I should have taken more rounds for the other rifles I had there to do some free standing shots between shots with the 7mm so it let it cool me...to impatient...

And I will sort a break one day
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
    Gimp posted a challenge and so far in this post I've seen a few good groups but not 5 good groups, I have attached 6 targets all are 5 shot groups, 5 were shot at 100yds and 1 was shot at 200yds. All groups were measured independantly, all of the groups were shot outside with the wind doing what it does with bullets. Conditions were switchy and gusty.

So 0.192" + 0.242 + 0.211 +0.222 + 0.193" = 1.060" divide by 5 = 0.212"
    0.396" divided by 2 (to get the 100 yd measurement) = 0.198"

1.060 + 0.198 = 1.258 divide by 6 (to get the aggregate of the 6 groups) = 0.2097"

Can this rifle do this all the time YES if I feed it the ammo it likes and I do MY part........the limiting factor is can "I" do this all the time "NO".......Kiwi

Very nice shooting were the targets in question shot in competition with a target rifle?
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post

an example of the shooter not doing his part with my light rifle in 7mmSAUM.... Didn't let the rifle cool enough between shots, fluffing the odd one including one shot at the wrong target

3 shot groups are easy but with a light barrel and warm gun and starting to snatch the trigger (light rifle, no break and 180's doing 2700+ recoil is getting up there a little ) those last to shots quite often stuff things up. Recoil flinch is defintly part of it and I need to do more with the 243AI again to stop snatching at the trigger...no chance of whatching the impact with the 7mm

I should have taken more rounds for the other rifles I had there to do some free standing shots between shots with the 7mm so it let it cool me...to impatient...

Still, it is easy to see the rifle is a straight shooter taking all the factors you have mentioned into account. What do lighter projectiles shoot like?

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Still, it is easy to see the rifle is a straight shooter taking all the factors you have mentioned into account. What do lighter projectiles shoot like?
    The 140 VLD's and AB's shoot very very well just run out of puff at 700 and more importantly hard to sort windage in the valleys we shoot, Mostly 600-700 across so the 180VLD is the ticket. It doesn't seam to like the 160AB and 162, Just can't get reliable groups with them ?????

Never shoot more than 3 shot quick lots in the feild anyway and in the field flinch/ recoil is less of an issue. Those groups were the last for the day so allready had 25 rounds of 160's at 3K which kick just as hard so hense the snatching at the trigger Looking at getting some Barnes 140's for bush but the mag length 180VLD still shot pretty good so will try that on animals first

R93
    The 140 VLD's and AB's shoot very very well just run out of puff at 700 and more importantly hard to sort windage in the valleys we shoot, Mostly 600-700 across so the 180VLD is the ticket. It doesn't seam to like the 160AB and 162, Just can't get reliable groups with them ?????

Never shoot more than 3 shot quick lots in the feild anyway and in the field flinch/ recoil is less of an issue. Those groups were the last for the day so allready had 25 rounds of 160's at 3K which kick just as hard so hense the snatching at the trigger Looking at getting some Barnes 140's for bush but the mag length 180VLD still shot pretty good so will try that on animals first
    I have a .223 that wont shoot 60-62 gr pills but shoots everthing either side. Annoying.
    Where do the lighter pills lose it leathal, wind, stability or your just not happy with them.
    Just reread your post properly. Gotya. I use 130's in my 6.5 and it is around the same, about 700 it loses it in energy. But I still in fair/good conditions push it further on targets. I like trying to nut out decieving winds. just dont like wasting the ammo it sometimes takes doing it
    Last edited by R93; 30-04-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have a .223 that wont shoot 60-62 gr pills but shoots everthing either side. Annoying.
    Where do the lighter pills lose it leathal, wind, stability or your just not happy with them.
    Lighter pills, the 140VLD has blown up to close (muliple exit holes even on goats) ...and the AB has penciled out further. Wind and lack of energy is the main reason I dropped them, the AB I would keep for a bush load if the POI was the same as the 180VLD but its not and I dont want to have to dial back to a different zero for the bush load. Will try the POI for the barnes but the 180VLD should be OK still up close.. I hope...

sing out if you want some 140 ttsx to try, can spare a few or a box if you need.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Kiwishooter

The groups look good, what direction was the wind blowing?? And in which order did you shoot the groups??......Kiwi

Kiwishooter
    Terminator, yes those groups were shot in competition with a target rifle, were the rest of the groups as good as those "no" finished with a 0.29 agg for 15 x 5 shot groups at 100yds and 15 x 5 shot groups at 200yds, making a total of 30 x 5 shot groups.
    I have several "hunting rifles" that are occasionally able to shoot groups like those pictured but even they can't shoot aggregates as good as my target rifles.

Taking into account the shooting positition and the rifle used for competition and what is able to achieve, do I thing a shooter with a hunting rifle shooting off a bipod or even a bench and rest is capable of shooting 0.25moa consistantly "no" how about 0.5moa my answer to that is "show me"

veitnamcam was that question directed at me?? If it was rifle is a Bat, Kreiger barrel, 6PPC and enough 133 to almost fill the case, 68gr bullet travelling at around 3450fps.........would this load be safe in a Sako 6PPC most likely not so I won't list the actual powder load.

Kiwi

Yea cheers was just wondering if it was a custom or a factory
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Terminator, yes those groups were shot in competition with a target rifle, were the rest of the groups as good as those "no" finished with a 0.29 agg for 15 x 5 shot groups at 100yds and 15 x 5 shot groups at 200yds, making a total of 30 x 5 shot groups.
    I have several "hunting rifles" that are occasionally able to shoot groups like those pictured but even they can't shoot aggregates as good as my target rifles.

Taking into account the shooting positition and the rifle used for competition and what is able to achieve, do I thing a shooter with a hunting rifle shooting off a bipod or even a bench and rest is capable of shooting 0.25moa consistantly "no" how about 0.5moa my answer to that is "show me"

veitnamcam was that question directed at me?? If it was rifle is a Bat, Kreiger barrel, 6PPC and enough 133 to almost fill the case, 68gr bullet travelling at around 3450fps.........would this load be safe in a Sako 6PPC most likely not so I won't list the actual powder load.

Kiwi

Thank you for your honest answer it's great to see some one lay all there cards on the table in black and white about what to expect on the rang with a target rifle and in the field with hunting rifle, I think it answers most question asked here.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

The groups look good, what direction was the wind blowing?? And in which order did you shoot the groups??......Kiwi
    very little wind, center first with a mag box length, Rifle was shooting high and right with the 162 amax and Munster Jnr was sighting his 308 in and need help hense the wrong target shot after being distracted in the first group...then top two which were at two different seating depths then the lower left, Lower left was with Retumbo as I am nearly out of 2225 so I will have to tweek the load a little by the looks but I will load the remander of what I have in 2225 to the top right setup as I know I pulled number five on that. I caught myself shutting my eyes while snatching the trigger on a couple of the later shots in the groups. More time needed on rifles like my 243AI as I have not shot much of late and that is a pleasure to shoot with the suppressor on and is just as accurate and the Rum that is loud but doesnt kick so between the two the flinch gets sorted pretty quick