Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Spook

Thread: Any 300m range's in the Waikato?

Question Any 300m range's in the Waikato?

Opinions sought here. I've found a nice new hunting spot - but most shots are long range. I've had my 7mm Mauser for near 20 years now, and don't want to let her go. BUT, ammo for her is damn expensive now, even though I reload. My son has just gotten into hunting, so have just bought a .223 mostly for goats, and any close range deer. So, I decided to boost my scope, heat up the rounds, lighten the projectile, and sight the 7mm in for around 300m. We watched a stag for close to 5 min last time, right out in the open, no way to stalk him....sadly he was near 500m. Not a shyte show, but still took a pot shot. Hit between his legs, which was about right for the drop at that distance. Next time, I want to have a better chance. Just gotta find somewhere to sight it in.....do you think it's realistic for a 7mm?

The whatawhata club on certain Saturday afternoon after the members have finish their shoot.
    Also the farm the range is on has just been sold and I do not know what the club' s futur is gona be.
    Wait and see.

There is a 7mm fanatic on your side of the Kaimais that may have a spot? @Spook y dooky?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    There is a 7mm fanatic on your side of the Kaimais that may have a spot? @Spook y dooky?
    Frantic, not fanatic @Gibo...yeah, spot here you can sight in on @rambler, out too and beyond the 500 mark...got a guy sighting an LRM in here sometime this week.
    Gibo and grunzter like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Another good bugger!!!

There is also a 1000m range just North of Otrohanga. They often shoot the 300m to 500m ranges and its cheap as to shoot there.

crikey....what a wealth of knowledge here! I've been asking locally for 3 weeks, and nobody has a clue! All I was told, was that deer stalkers has a 100m range.....not much use. I reckon 300m would be about right, that gives an 11inch drop at 500m which is 'doable' if the need arises in the future for such a long attempt. Sux when you can virtually taste it....but watch it take off
    sounds interesting Spook....

Quote Originally Posted by rambler View Post
    crikey....what a wealth of knowledge here! I've been asking locally for 3 weeks, and nobody has a clue! All I was told, was that deer stalkers has a 100m range.....not much use. I reckon 300m would be about right, that gives an 11inch drop at 500m which is 'doable' if the need arises in the future for such a long attempt. Sux when you can virtually taste it....but watch it take off
    sounds interesting Spook....
    If you check out post #28 on Hunting..."starting out slow, places for beginners". The first photo will show what you would be looking at...if I knew how to link to it I would.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

righteho, I'll see if I can find it