Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Anyone still using the 220 swift

Back in 1979 I bought a new Ruger M77 in 220 Swift which still sits in my safe alongside three 22-250s. As far as velocity goes it is a lot easier to propel a 55 grain projectile at well over 3700 fps with the Swift than it is with the 22-250. In fact my fastest load with the 22-250 tops out at 3665 fps.

Accuracy between the two cartridges is pretty much like splitting hairs and my Ruger will put five factory Norma 50 grain rounds in a tidy .6" group at 100 yards and my reloads will do better still.

Over the years I have noticed that the main stream reloading manuals have drastically reduced the max loads for the Swift. My advice to you is buy a copy of the latest Lyman 50th edition reloading manual if you don't already have it. As an example of the difference the Lyman lists 39 grains of IMR 4064 as the max load with a 55 grain Sierra projectile for a velocity of 3900 fps. Sierra lists 35 grains as the max load with the same powder and projectile for 3550 fps. IMR 4064 is the powder that I have found to be the most accurate in my Swift.

Although I have a lovely Ruger No1 in 257 Roberts I have always thought the 220 Swift with its semi-rim would be a fantastic cartridge for a falling block action. A good friend of mine has recently purchased a Winchester 1885 with a 28" barrel chambered in the Swift, it will be interesting to see how that rifle shoots!

Happy shooting with your new toy!
    nor-west, 7mmwsm and Marty Henry like this.

Three 22 250s ! In my 43rd edition lyman manual it's 40 grains of 4064 and 3855fps, not that I put too much faith in book velocities.
    I've noticed over the years that all manuals seem to dial back for whatever reason.
    When I start reloading I will probably use the lyman starting point and go from there.
    I now have barrel envy, mines only 25 inches.

Well I have rings and decided a period "correct" vx1 3-9 seeing the rifle was made in 1990.
    It's a shooter, 3 rounds to zero then 5 into 3/4 in at 100 yds.
    True to form someone always tries to rain on your parade, and a mate turns up with his new no 1 in the slower but "more manly 3006 calibre"
    Two very elegant rifles in the bench together. Lurking in the background was a 223 omark and two martinis in 303 and 38/55, so it was a bit of an overload of single shots.
    It was a pretty good day.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Marty that is a fine piece of wood on that No1. Having the red buttplate suggests that it is an earlier rifle?

Supposedly the best wood went on the Ruger No1s.

Just waiting for some bright spark to neck the .220 Swift back up again to 6mm Navy.
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Just waiting for some bright spark to neck the .220 Swift back up again to 6mm Navy.
    Although the 220 Swift was originally based on the 6mm Lee Navy or 236 there are quite a few differences that would make necking the 220 Swift back up to 6mm far from easy.

Firstly the 6mm Navy has a much longer neck and is actually a rimless case rather than the Swifts semi-rim design.

Here is a photo of a 6mm Lee Navy factory round I have next to a new Norma 50 grain 220 Swift round.

Name:  20220222_213349.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  1.43 MB
    Cordite likes this.

that is a very cool lookn No.1 Varmint rifle . . as much as i like my stainless laminated No.1 i must admit a wood blued is better lookn and more in keeping with the old school singleshot theme.

if you havent tried already i would try shooting yours without a bipod just to see if there is an improvement, forend pressure is everything with these girls . . some No.1 Varmints will go well under .5MOA if everything is to its liking.

if your not happy with the factory trigger you could try the Kepplinger trigger with Moulds Ltd. match hammer, works well on mine, feels like a light 2 stage.
    there is also the Hicks gizmo for varying the forend pressure which is worth a try . . took awhile to find the sweet spot but the groups did shrink to bullets touching.

very cool rifle, look forward to seeing pics of critters knocked over by a hotrod Swift at Full speed, Full noise !
    7mmwsm and Micky Duck like this.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

has anyone here built a 220? Or know anyone with a reamer?

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    has anyone here built a 220? Or know anyone with a reamer?
    This will answer yours and others questions . In the mid 80s ross collings built a heavy 220 on a 98 action with huge muzzle brake while working with din ,his dad . The gun went to pomgolia for trials by the brit sas for sniper use against hijackers on planes . Many shots were fired at pigs heads behind plane side windows at ranges up to 400 mts and it was very successful . I personally handled the rifle at dins when it returned for minor tuning The nzdf were going to get some made [ not sure if they went ahead] but in the mean while the ordered somthing like 30000 rounds from cr pain [ norma agents ] but some mityped like me and a couple of zeroes got added to the order . Hence the cheap surplus 220 that has been for sale since . At 1 stage it was $10 a packet . So maybe try ross at outdoor supplies in carterton for help .
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

Well I got the last ammo that Ross had and it was a bit more than $10 but quite reasonable.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I wanted a .220 Swift, but have never met one in person. Mine would be a deer rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    I wanted a .220 Swift, but have never met one in person. Mine would be a deer rifle.
    The "modern" equivalent is the 223 wssm.

One of which just sold in the buy/sell the other day