Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: AR15 shell cases not extracting

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    @Rushy

Yes but that's it's technical name.

Only known to those who constantly worship the false King of beers

Most people know it by its common name of gas key.

Cheers
    Pete
    Ah yes but I'm not a common sort of a cuss Pete.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    SiB take heart as you are doing better than me by knowing what a gas key even is, unless it is the pokey outey bit on top of the slidey doodad.
    I say Rushy, you're more technically minded than you think you are.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a good dissemble/reassemble and clean and get back to you
    P38 likes this.

northdude
    So is it a new gun or has it been played with

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    So it is the pokey outey bit on top of the slidey doodad.
    Just about its the pokey out thing with a hole in it

SiB
    I bought if off a forum member here

On the lighter side it could be a wasp....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEte...ature=youtu.be

Though knowing how lose the OP is to Fjiordland, it could be one of the sandflies....

does it do it with the suppressor off ? .... supprsors can up the speed of the extraction , if the case is still in expansion then it wont be able to be extracted easily .... try a couple of mags with no suppresor .... and see , ...
    Tommy likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

SiB
    Thanks guys

My AR has a similar problem although with mine not every cartridge slams home in the chamber & I can only extract it by holding the gun on it's butt then knocking the bolt back with my hunting knife handle as I hold the lock bolt open. If I want to extract a round @ any time manually after a hunt for example, it remains stuck in the chamber. I've cleaned the chamber heaps & always check my reloads with a chamber gauge so it'll be up to spec. I have seen though on a You tube vid that it's best to use a small base die set made for the AR (not standard 223 dies) & crimp the projectile could solve the problem, although paying $110.00 for a new set of dies isn't what I want. I may have to take it to a Gunsmith. I also bought this early last year off "AR15" on trademe & it's been like this from day one.
    Can anyone help?
    Sorry I can't help you much SiB but I write this to show others have similar problems

Extracting shells

My AR has a similar problem although with mine not every cartridge slams home in the chamber & I can only extract it by holding the gun on it's butt then knocking the bolt back with my hunting knife handle as I hold the lock bolt open. If I want to extract a round @ any time manually after a hunt for example, it remains stuck in the chamber. I've cleaned the chamber heaps & always check my reloads with a chamber gauge so it'll be up to spec. I have seen though on a You tube vid that it's best to use a small base die set made for the AR (not standard 223 dies) & crimp the projectile could solve the problem, although paying $110.00 for a new set of dies isn't what I want. I may have to take it to a Gunsmith. I also bought this early last year off "AR15" on trademe & it's been like this from day one.
    Can anyone help?
    Sorry I can't help you much SiB but I write this to show others have similar problems

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    Can anyone help?
    Get the chamber/bolt checked with a GO gauge. I don't use small base dies and have never had an issue. What brand is the gun (or the BCG and barrel if it's a parts gun)?
    P38 and Tommy like this.

Banned
    Never had problems like that with my T3.

Helpful as always, systolic
    grunzter, Ozzy, stretch and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Never had problems like that with my T3.
    i bet you never get hemorrhoids either since you are a perfect asshole
    mikee, Happy, northdude and 3 others like this.