Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Bad technique

Cheers guys thinking i might have to get the book.
    looks like good reviews and i will no doubt need to rebuild my shooting technique after surgary.

Friwi makes a good point earlier, one that has been aired in other threads, but is worth repeating because few give it the consideration it deserves: if precision dramatically improves when the felt recoil is reduced by adding a brake or suppressor, then this points to shooter technique being at fault, because a brake or suppressor does not affect the inherent precision of the rifle through recoil reduction, only the ability of the shooter to place shots consistently from the lessening of felt recoil. It's an important distinction and an interesting way to assess your technique. Do groups improve with the extra hardware fitted? I always fail this test miserably and I know my technique is very average.
    oneipete and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Friwi makes a good point earlier, one that has been aired in other threads, but is worth repeating because few give it the consideration it deserves: if precision dramatically improves when the felt recoil is reduced by adding a brake or suppressor, then this points to shooter technique being at fault, because a brake or suppressor does not affect the inherent precision of the rifle through recoil reduction, only the ability of the shooter to place shots consistently from the lessening of felt recoil. It's an important distinction and an interesting way to assess your technique. Do groups improve with the extra hardware fitted? I always fail this test miserably and I know my technique is very average.
    Actually the reduction in recoil can have a marked effect on the actual rifle as I found out. By adding one to my 223, with a very flexible stock, the reduction in flex of both the stock and whip of the barrel made a huge improvement.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

....because a brake or suppressor does not affect the inherent precision of the rifle through recoil reduction
    Gadgetman, from your description of the rifle no doubt adding a suppressor improved things, but I disagree with the conclusion you have drawn, and its a generally held misconception. While the bullet is in the barrel the only influence of adding a suppressor is through the addition of mass both to the overall rifle weight and more significantly from it's placement at the end of the barrel, but not through any reduction in recoil as neither a suppressor or brake can begin to reduce recoil until the bullet has left the barrel and the influence of rifle and shooter on the impact point of the shot is past.

Bringing it back on topic I only raised this as a diagnostic tool for checking technique. Perhaps it is worth a separate thread along with the use of weighted barrel clamps.

Gadgetman, from your description of the rifle no doubt adding a suppressor improved things, but I disagree with the conclusion you have drawn, and its a generally held misconception. While the bullet is in the barrel the only influence of adding a suppressor is through the addition of mass both to the overall rifle weight and more significantly from it's placement at the end of the barrel, but not through any reduction in recoil as neither a suppressor or brake can begin to reduce recoil until the bullet has left the barrel and the influence of rifle and shooter on the impact point of the shot is past.

Bringing it back on topic I only raised this as a diagnostic tool for checking technique. Perhaps it is worth a separate thread along with the use of weighted barrel clamps.
    Recoil can be reduced as recoil is a function of the rifles mass and I've yet to find an effective suppressor with zero mass. Therefore my conclusion is correct.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yes, you are correct: reduction in recoil from the weight of the suppressor, but not from the suppressing action. I oversimplified my replies in an effort to keep them brief. My apologies I hope the distinction is now clear.

Yes, you are correct: reduction in recoil from the weight of the suppressor, but not from the suppressing action. I oversimplified my replies in an effort to keep them brief. My apologies I hope the distinction is now clear.
    There will be some reduction also from the muzzle brake as there are gasses that pass the projectile, and in front of the projectile to start with, that will be pushed out the barrel in front of the projectile. Though these will be minimal.

There is also the factor of the expanding gasses that leave the barrel after the bullet, these in effect turn the barrel into a rocket motor which forms a significant part of the recoil. This is why over bores produce more recoil as the charge is increased for relatively small velocity gains.
    A suppressor catches these gasses and released them slowly.
    So in effect a suppressor does not reduce total recoil but gives you a lower recoil over a longer period which is more pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

We just need to get him out and shoot some deer , that will sort it out
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    We just need to get him out and shoot some deer , that will sort it out
    I think an intervention is in order.