Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CENTREFIRE SHOOTING RANGE? (Waikato)

Hey can anyone shed some light on the Otorohanga range please such as access times, costs, contacts, induction process.

While I am not looking to enter competitions I am looking for somewhere closer to Hamilton to sight in and spend a day throwing lead at paper. More than happy to pay my dues and help out at working bees etc.

Cheers for all information and yes I have googled their site just looking for information from the horses mouth so to speak.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

I'm in this boat as well, would be great to find out when they are having a club day. Seems like this would help a few people out in the Waikato area.

I'm the same, the private farm I've been using is only good to 100 meters, and it's tough getting a weekend that suits them as well as me.

Ok Guys, the Waikato Rifle Club may suit some of you. Location is a farm on Scotsman Valley road - Please email waikatorifles@gmail.com for more information

We shoot every 3rd Sunday of the month, the morning session is dedicated to Service Rifle practice and involves actual match conditions for NZSRA Style shooting (New Zealand Service Rifle Association). The afternoon session is designed for people who need to sight in or do their own practice. In both cases the range is run with a range officer in charge - it is not a free for all - it is controlled shooting sessions. Range goes out to 200(ish) yards.

The Otorohanga club is an NRA long range club (F-Class, etc etc) - it is very good (they have cool electronic targets) but it is not suited to sighting in there. They are only open half of the year (summer months) - you may PM me for more details - ranges goes to 1000 yards.

Hamilton Pistol club also has a 50 metre (.223 only - at this stage) certified range but you need to be a Pistol Club member to shoot there. This means going through the process to get your B endorsement (approx 8 months). The beauty of this is that the club is available everyday (mostly) - If you want to try Pistol Shooting newbie nights are on Wednesday starting at 6pm. Hamilton Pistol Club
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Yeah i've tried in the past emailing the Waikato Rifle club but have had no response. A Sunday afternoon local shoot sounds like best case scenario.

We have recently changed secretaries - the old one may have been a bit shit (i.e. Me) the new one should get back to you in a couple days - PM me if not, next shoot isn't until the 16th Aug
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

[QUOTE=Gapped axe;374028]Rotorua NZDA have a range out to 300mtrs. Cliff at the Outdoorsman Headquarters is the contact . How come the Tauranga AOS use ours if there's one available in the TECT Park
    Last edited by Maca49; 30-07-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Maybe they want to hide their ID from the locals...

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    This could be a sticky thread. There's an enquiry every month or two.

Waikato and nearby ranges:

Whatawhata (F & TR)
    Hangawera (private range contact El Borracho)
    Bunker Hill
    Hamilton Pistol club
    Otorohanga (F & TR)
    Tokoroa TSSC (South Waikato NZDA)
    Dey st (indoor .22 Waikato NZDA)
    Narrows Park (Air Rifle field Target)
    Rotorua NZDA
    Taupo NZDA
    BOP NZDA TECT park

So, google for the NZDA branches' web sites and they have timetables.
    The NRA fullbore Target Rifle ranges need a bit more research to track down contacts. But all good freindly blokes.

On this forum, use the search function:
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...g-range-17833/
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...08/index2.html
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...waikato-17071/
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...e-range-18406/

Other forum:
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - Rifle range - Hamilton
    FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 - RIFLE RANGE NEAR HAMILTON??
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
    Ok Guys, the Waikato Rifle Club may suit some of you. Location is a farm on Scotsman Valley road - Please email waikatorifles@gmail.com for more information

We shoot every 3rd Sunday of the month, the morning session is dedicated to Service Rifle practice and involves actual match conditions for NZSRA Style shooting (New Zealand Service Rifle Association). The afternoon session is designed for people who need to sight in or do their own practice. In both cases the range is run with a range officer in charge - it is not a free for all - it is controlled shooting sessions. Range goes out to 200(ish) yards.

The Otorohanga club is an NRA long range club (F-Class, etc etc) - it is very good (they have cool electronic targets) but it is not suited to sighting in there. They are only open half of the year (summer months) - you may PM me for more details - ranges goes to 1000 yards.

Hamilton Pistol club also has a 50 metre (.223 only - at this stage) certified range but you need to be a Pistol Club member to shoot there. This means going through the process to get your B endorsement (approx 8 months). The beauty of this is that the club is available everyday (mostly) - If you want to try Pistol Shooting newbie nights are on Wednesday starting at 6pm. Hamilton Pistol Club
    I think I've just found my next addition to my all-singing, all-dancing map.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...47/index3.html

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../Leaflet2.html