Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By 6.5mm-mag

Thread: Criterion barrels - excellent

Criterion barrels - excellent

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know what a fantastic product the Criterion barrels are that Herb on this forum sells.

I bought a Criterion 6.5mm, 1:8 twist barrel blank off Herb about 6 - 8 months ago, that I then had chambered in 6.5mm SAUM, and profiled / crowned and fitted to my Remington 700 action by Scott Trail of SSRNZ. Later, I had Gunworks Canterbury do a very nice job of fluting.

I have been out at the range for the last two weekends doing my barrel run in and load development. First I'd like to say that I wouldn't bother going through a very lengthy barrel break in process with these Criterion barrels. In my experience, run in for first 10 rounds (fired one, clean, fire second, clean etc for ten) , then just shoot as normal (and then maybe clean after the next 10 or 15 rounds, then just shoot as normal, with a good clean when the shooting is done for the day).

I found this barrel to have very little in the way of copper fouling and seriously after first running a good copper cleaner down the barrel (I use Shooters Choice) and letting it sit for a few minutes, it took just 4 patches and the barrel was perfectly clean.

These are the smallest 3 shot groups I have shot to date with my Criterion Barrel. Both are sub half MOA (one measures 0.458, the other 0.383, centre to centre measurements). (The two shots in the black at two o'clock were the last two rounds that I had left). As you can see, plenty of twist rate to stabilise the long 143gr Hornady ELD-X projectiles that I have 300 of and will be my bullet of choice in this rifle.

Name:  12994447_10154740627709746_2004773838207916664_n.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  62.6 KB

They have also been getting excellent reviews on the Internet on some of the internet sites such as www.6mmbr.com

Big thanks to Herb again for making such an excellent product available at a fantastic price. For a custom rifle on a small budget (well almost small), I can highly recommend these barrels to anyone.
    Last edited by 6.5mm-mag; 12-04-2016 at 10:43 PM.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I would second that.
    Bought a barrel last February and really like it, calibre is 7-375 as you said easy to run in and I think good value.
    John is nice and easy to deal with too.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Sorry, meant to write that the above groups shot with 140 SST's and not the 143gr ELD-X. Best groups with the ELD-X have been a consistent 1 inch, and seated quite a way off lands. Next will be to seat closer to lands.