Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Curiosity - AR "run out"

Curiosity - AR "run out"

Hello there!
    Just as matter of curiosity and learning, what can/did cause it?(as follow)

I went for a quick sight in with my hunting rifle and take my AR for a play in between shooting, what happen is, after i fire couple shots i pull the trigger and if fired a little burst of 3 shots as it was full auto, i saw it happening before but was just two shots then.

Can you guys with a lot more acknowledge explain it to me? Follow the rifle specs:

Stag Arms mode6 5.56, 18" bull barrel suppressed, rifle length gas tube, everything original (exception the barrel length), i have fired around 8-900 rounds thru it and only once before it happen, trigger is a 2 stages factory match.

Cheers.

Mac

Have you cleaned it including disassembling the bolt and remove the firing pin? The firing pins can get sticky and slam fire.

Yes, it is/was well cleaned, i use action blaster and am very "anal" with cleaning my rifles… Lets see what more info will come thru.
    Cheers for the reply.

P38
    Just enjoy it while it last.

Unless your running short of ammo that is.

Cheers
    Pete
    199p, Maca49, grunzter and 2 others like this.

I WAS going to ask "can I have a go"

I was actually "SMILING" after it happen, frightening at first, "funny" at the end…

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post

Cheers
    Pete

Ejected
    Your trigger is fucked. Go buy a new one. If it's doing that sort of thing you can't trust it and it's a saftey issue that needs to be fixed. Lucky for you aftermarket triggers are readily available for ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post

Cheers
    Pete

It's actually abit dangerous. There's a chance you're getting hammer follow due to an incorrectly assembled sear. This could result in an out of battery detonation and destroy the upper/lower/
    DAF, dirtyhabit, Beaker and 2 others like this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    It's actually abit dangerous. There's a chance you're getting hammer follow due to an incorrectly assembled sear. This could result in an out of battery detonation and destroy the upper/lower/
    A big + 1 on this.

Often happens a few hundred round after someone does a trigger job and removed the hardened outer layer.

If your trigger is adjustable then check its adjustments otherwise it's new trigger time as risking a out of battery detonation due to the hammer following the bcg is not cool in a ar-you would likely be ok as long as you ha e eye pro on but you whole rifle and optic are normally only good for the bin afterwards.
    DAF and Daggers_187 like this.
    Using Tapatalk

An out of battery discharge from hammer follow should be impossible on an AR. The carrier prevents the firing pin from reaching the primer until the bolt is fully locked.
    R93, Sasquatch, 300CALMAN and 1 others like this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    An out of battery discharge from hammer follow should be impossible on an AR. The carrier prevents the firing pin from reaching the primer until the bolt is fully locked.
    I think "should" is the key word there as I have seen a mates( and forum member) rifle destruct from what would seem to have been hammer following according to both the gunsmiths who did reports for the insurance company
    Using Tapatalk

Hey guys, thank you heaps for the info, I like to add something to the latest info posted here regards "the trigger", as I mention in the very beginning I am not an expert, what I have to say is, the trigger is a match grade two stage ORIGINAL from Stag Arms, it is not adjustable and never been "worked". I always clean it with tetra gun bore/action cleaner spray, "scrub" it with a teeth brush and oil it with "CLP"(very slightly).
    My new question, would a factory trigger kit warn out with less than 1000 rounds fires?

Once again, thank you heaps for the info.

Mac

R93
    The design and action of mechanism (unless tolerances are out) require the hammer to be delayed a fraction after locking to gain enough force to ignite a primer.
    If you took the trigger mech out and cycled a magazines worth of ammo (over length/delayed/stuck firing pin aside) it should not fire. The hammer under tension of its spring just follows the carrier.
    That's why military ones have an auto sear that is actioned by the carrier.
    Hammer also has a top/upper bent where the auto sear arrests it until locked.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    My new question, would a factory trigger kit warn out with less than 1000 rounds fires?
    it shouldn't have, do you have any competent people in your area who could have a look at it?
    Using Tapatalk

It's likely a disconector issue.

Check that the disconector spring is present and conduct a function check.

Parts can have manufacturing flaws and as a result fail.

An in spec AR trigger will last thousands of rounds.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk