Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Exploding targets

Exploding targets

I am currently in America and have stumbled across an, in my opinion, amazing product called Tannerite. Basically it's two chemicals which, when mixed together, explode when shot with a .223 or higher. Even when mixed the targets are extremely stable and can be dropped, hit with a hammer and even thrown in a fire and won't explode. There are plenty of videos online if you want to see it for yourself.
    My question is, do you think there would be much demand for a product like this in the New Zealand market?

res
    It's easy to make, but would get you kicked off most ranges
    mikee and Skatieguy like this.
    Using Tapatalk

I am sure there would be a market if freely available but I am not sure they would be with our laws.?
    Skatieguy and TianBotha like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i shot some in canada last time i was there ..... i will get the right endorsement so i can buy it ..... (in canada of course) ....we even duct tapped it up to increase the boom .... its great stuff
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

It will be classed as an explosive here so need your ticket.

FAAAA DON'T EVER HIT IT WITH A HAMMER! It IS impact sensitive and will go off.
    stumpy likes this.

Seems popular with Darwin Listers (or wannabes). Wiki notes the following:

Notable incidents with Tannerite:
    A Minnesota man was fined $2,583 and sentenced to three years' probation[13] on charges of detonating an explosive device and unlawful possession of components for explosives after he detonated 100 lb (45 kg) of Tannerite inside the bed of a dump truck by shooting it with a rifle chambered in .50 BMG from 300 yards (270 m) away on January 14, 2008, in Red Wing, Minnesota. The man was on probation when he mixed and shot the Tannerite and was not allowed to possess firearms or explosives.[14][15] The blast could be felt at Prairie Island Nuclear Power Plant (roughly 5 miles away).[16]

A 20-year-old man in Busti, New York shot 18 lb (8.2 kg) of Tannerite on January 13, 2013, that sent a particularly "loud boom" through much of southern Chautauqua County, New York and extending as far south as Pennsylvania, at least 3 miles away. Multiple other sounds of explosions were also reported in the incident. The explosive noise caused numerous phone calls to the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Office, the New York State Police, and other law enforcement in the area.[17]

A man was killed by shrapnel at a farm in Fillmore County, Minnesota on June 15, 2013, after Tannerite was shot at a bachelor-bachelorette party after it was placed inside some metal objects. Fillmore County Sheriff Daryl Jensen stated that in this case the Tannerite was “used with other materials” in a manner that was not included in the manufacturer’s recommendations.[3]

Shrapnel killed a boy and injured a man in Sequoyah County, Oklahoma on February 9, 2015, after a reported two pounds of Tannerite was placed in a stove and shot with a high-powered rifle.[18]

A 24-year-old man from Portland, Oregon, used a Tannerite explosion as a means of suicide. Officials indicated that on March 19, 2015, the man parked his car along US Route 26 in a rural area near Mt. Hood and walked into nearby woods, where he detonated a "large quantity" of Tannerite with a .223 caliber rifle. The blast shattered trees and resulted in a crater two feet deep and ten feet wide.[19]

On March 19, 2016, a 32-year-old man in Walton County, Georgia, severed his leg after shooting at a riding lawnmower filled with 3 pounds of Tannerite. A piece of shrapnel flew 30 yards and removed the leg below his knee. Six months prior to that accident, another man in Muskegon, Michigan, also had his leg severed after using Tannerite to blow up a 55-gallon drum, despite being 50 yards from the explosion.[20]
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

What sort of ticket would be required to have/make/use the stuff? Piece of piss to make apparently

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    What sort of ticket would be required to have/make/use the stuff? Piece of piss to make apparently
    Pyrotechnics ticket should do the trick

For the life of me I can't imagine it being sold in NZ the way it is in the USA.

I have to wonder about a poster who makes a new account and does one post such as the op has in this case-given the handle chosen it would seem that it should be a commercial venders post with the forum support that goes with that
    P38, stumpy and Skatieguy like this.
    Using Tapatalk

There is a youtube video of the lawn mower vs leg incident
    Munsey, Nibblet and tommygun like this.

What's a high-powered rifle anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    NOT a slug gun

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    A Minnesota man was fined $2,583 and sentenced to three years' probation[13] on charges of detonating an explosive device and unlawful possession of components for explosives after he detonated 100 lb (45 kg) of Tannerite inside the bed of a dump truck by shooting it with a rifle chambered in .50 BMG from 300 yards (270 m) away on January 14, 2008, in Red Wing, Minnesota. The man was on probation when he mixed and shot the Tannerite and was not allowed to possess firearms or explosives.[14][15] The blast could be felt at Prairie Island Nuclear Power Plant (roughly 5 miles away).[16][20]
    Way to go over the top!

Do you mean exploding targets like this at my driven boar range? Check out the video at the bottom
    Corinium Rifle Range :: RUNNING BOAR CLUB
    You can see the little orange target on the paper big lot of fun!
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    NOT a slug gun
    I have several slug guns that would easily be classed as high power.

50cal air rifles have been known to kill bear.

Cheers
    Pete
    gadgetman likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Not my Winchester and Savage 25- 20wcf aye @marky123

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.