Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Getting Into Long Range Hunting - Ongoing thread

Getting Into Long Range Hunting - Ongoing thread

Over the past couple of years, I have had this hair brain idea that I would like to get more into the Longer Range shooting/hunting around the place.
    Up until recently, this was merely an idea. However a few things have fallen into place for me to actually turn this idea into a reality. I intend this thread to be a bit of a step by step, showing what I do and why I do it. I will update it as I go along. Hopefully it will serve as a bit of a guide to someone else who looks at doing the same thing, and will give them a bit of an idea as to how much it will cost.

NOTE: I am on a budget, but I am not letting money get in the way of getting the right gear for my needs. Weight is an issue, but I am not looking to build a light weight rig. I want a compromise between carry-ability, and being nice to shoot.
    Last edited by Mossie; 14-12-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    I love all animals.........especially with gravy

The Rifle

So of course the first step was to get a suitable rifle in a suitable caliber. To do this, I needed to set a goal of how far I wanted to shoot. I decided that 500 yards was a good figure. This seemed to be a good starting point, as it was generally outside the range of most hunting rifles, but wasnt at the extreme end of things. I felt this was an achievable figure on my modest budget.

Caliber
    The age old argument with all forms of shooting and hunting - What caliber? Well it didnt take me long to make the decision that 7mm Remington Magnum would be my cartridge of choice. The main reasons why I chose this were:
    • Manageable recoil without the need for a muzzle brake
    • Inherent Accuracy
    • 162gr A-Max seems to be a good projectile of choice
    • Enough energy to move out to longer ranges as my skill level increased

Rifle

This was an area that had me thinking for a significant amount of time. I basically had 4 options:
    • Buy someones custom built rifle
    • Buy a high end factory rifle
    • Buy a standard factory rifle and customise from there
    • Buy a standard factory rifle - and shoot it

All of them had their pros and cons. Initially my plans were to bring in a Rem 700 Stainless Magnum action and a Shillen Barrel from the US. This looked to cost about $1300 landed. However this was taken off the menu due to the Stainless Magnum actions being discontinued from the factory.
    I was then keeping an eye out on trademe for a secondhand Rem 700 that I could pickup and then build a custom from. While doing this, Kiwigreg from the forum posted his Rem Sendero up for sale. It already had load development done, had a Warne steel rail attached, and had done bugger all work. Greg had fired a few groups with it, and it looked to be an excellent shooter. It also came with 15 loaded rounds, and 35 once fired Norma brass. All this for $2400. In the end, I decided this was the best option for me.

Scope

Obviously the next purchase needed to be a scope. This was quite a quick process, as I narrowed my options down quite quickly, due to budget. My 3 options I narrowed down to were:
    • Weaver Superslam
    • Leupold VX-3
    • Leupold Mark 4

I then ignored the Weaver, as I felt they didnt have a long enough track record with good quality, repeatable scopes. This left the two Leupold scopes.
    My research then suggested that the two remaining shared very similar optics, same warranty, same repeatability. So in the end, it came down to extras. However this also wasnt much of a factor, as either could be customised by leupold.

My decision was however made up for me, when Scott Trail listed the Mark 4 4.5 - 14 x 50 LR\T M1 with mildot on trademe. It was in as new condition, and had come off his 338LM. I ended up picking this up for $1500.

So tonights plan is to mount the scope in Warne Low rings.
    Once I have taken it to the range, I will post up a review of what I have to date. Will also post up a few pics

Looking forward to hearing how this setup shoots.... I was tempted to buy the rifle at one point until I remembered I need to keep saving for my OE.

We need some photo's aswell

Watching with interest,wouldnt have minded that sendero myself
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lock up your hunting spots boys...

Caretaker
    PRIME combination there Mossie, bloody top work getting that.

Scott and KiwiGreg have given you top quality gear, you will love it, -what a way to start you LR hunting !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tui4Me View Post
    Lock up your hunting spots boys...
    Bout time you showed up here........

Great idea for a thread mate. Andrew is right, you have got yourself a great rifle and scope that will easily do the business.

Good luck!

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    looking forward to the photos of the targets and deer you shoot with that new rig
    Good luck and keep us posted.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Good stuff, will watch the updates.

Another LR shoot?

Might have to talk to Phillpo.

Need some pics

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Good stuff, will watch the updates.

Another LR shoot?

Might have to talk to Phillpo.

Need some pics
    Good idea - I'm getting bored shooting at steel at LR by myself.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Good idea - I'm getting bored shooting at steel at LR by myself.
    I'm only a text away:have a nice day: Hint Hint

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Ritey oh Gentlemen (I use the term very loosely) - its time for an update.

Wednesday last week saw me jump in the ute and bolt down to Hammils Wellington to get some rings and mount my new scope. First off, I would like to say thanks to Brad from Hammils - you are a good bastard, and put up with me coming into the shop, and taking over the counter to work on my rifle Much appreciated.

So the temporary Elite 4200 3-9-40 scope was quickly whisked off, and the almost new Mark 4 lined up. I was quite keen to see if it would fit with low rings, however they didnt have any in stock at the time. Being the impatient bastard that I am, some Medium Warne steel rings were grabbed off the shelf and mounted to the one piece Warne Steel rail. Scope was checked for eye relief (very generous on the Mark 4) and lined up as best as I could by eye. Which turns out to be not so good hahaha.

Name:  IMG_1776 [800x600].jpg
Views: 918
Size:  64.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1777 [800x600].jpg
Views: 929
Size:  63.7 KB

Off out to the range we go.........

So after a bit of work getting the scope zero'd at 100 yards (badly though as the scope seems to be canted) - I pushed the target out to 200 to shoot a couple of groups. And was completely stoked with the result.
    Name:  IMG_1778 [800x600].jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  68.5 KB
    I wound up an additional 1.5 MOA on top of the 1MOA required for 200 yards to get the shots up near the gray dot on the target, as it is much easier to see the hits. I also wound on 1MOA right because of my zero being out at 100 (I was running out of ammo and wanted to shoot a couple of groups).

After taking a walk to the 200 yard mound, I replaced the target to see if it was a fluke, or if I was actually shooting this well. I also wound the scope to 0.25MOA right to correct for the shift on the previous target.
    Name:  IMG_1779 [800x600].jpg
Views: 928
Size:  70.1 KB
    The one flyer was the last shot, and I know I pulled it. But it is still an MOA group strangely enough.
    As you can see though, I am having some issues with scope adjustments, which will need to be investigated. First impressions though - I am very happy with the results I am getting

You can get all tecky with setting up scope but if you have a detachable mag this works well.
    Remove mag and bolt.
    Sit at right angles on a level surface,(it must be square because the mag box will be on an angle) sitting on the mag box. I use the kitchen bench.
    Line up on a known level or plumb surface,Distant doorway or wall, horision on water etc.
    Done.
    This will get you really really close if done right.
    Now people will say that if the mag box,barrel and scope are not all in line this will cause an error witch is true but we are not talking about a cheap shit rifle.
    They may allso say that the cross hairs and the actual movement of the rectical might not line up either and it is better to use a level on the turret but be aware that your turret may not be true.Check by getting level and rotating turret half turn and rechecking.Mines not true!
    Also if the recticle doesn't line up with the actual movement it would mean you would have to use it with the recticul on the piss to dial up in a straight line.But I doubt you will have that problem with a mark4
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!