Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Dermastor
  • 10 Post By Dermastor
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Gong Shooting in Auckland

Gong Shooting in Auckland

A long time Rifle Club in AKL I am a member of is looking at the possibility of opening up its facilities to include steel targets. These would be separated from its electronic targets that are used for F-Class type shoots. The club is looking to set out dedicated plates people could shoot as practice. The Club shoots generally from Sept- May depending on ground conditions and if this got off the ground there could be a shoot every couple of weeks. The club would fund the targets, install them and maintain them and in return would ask for a range fee per shoot probably around $20.

We are looking for ideas and feedback on target types, range of targets, centerfire vs rimfire facilities etc. Please feel free to make any comments and post ideas we can look at. I will keep you posted on progress from our end. I am not going to name the club as there are all sorts of considerations re the property we shoot on, stock and land use we need to work through before this is a reality. As an avid or should I say rabid gong shooter myself I think this could be a great opportunity to go out and waste money shooting stuff that goes PING when you hit it.

Thanks Jeremy
    WallyR and Fawls like this.

I think i know which club you are talking about.. I am definitely joining this year and am keen on gongs too! Happy to lend a hand anyway I can too! Cheers terry

Thanks Terry if we can get it off the ground the steel shooters will have an independent firing line so we will have to have semi responsible people involved to ensure safety.

An update on my previous post for you steel shooters. We at "Akarana - City Rile Club" have been able to increase the frequency of our shoots over the Summer season to weekly even if its just a social day with no competition points. We will be running shoots where all ranges will be shot on one day 400-800yrds. These shoots will be ideal for trueing DOPE sighting in or general practice. They will be open to all comers with the right attitude. We will shoot on the electronic targets you can view through any Wi-Fi device so no going forward to see shots. Its a great way to shoot. I will post more updates when our season calendar is finalised.)

Thanks Jeremy.
    Last edited by Dermastor; 23-09-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Sounds awesome Jeremy. I am not a target shooter but am keen to hone my skills at longer ranges so will be all over a couple of open days to verify dope and get some practice in.
    Blisters likes this.