Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Gun club cleared to build firing range close to meditation retreat

Banned

Gun club cleared to build firing range close to meditation retreat

Gun club cleared to build firing range close to meditation retreat - National - NZ Herald News

A gun club has been cleared to build a firing range two doors down from a silent meditation retreat on the outskirts of Auckland.

The newly-formed Auckland Shooting Club claims the sound of gunfire from 6am to 6pm will seem little more than "gentle raindrops on the roof" for their neighbours. But residents adjacent to the club are upset they only found out about the plans by accident.

The location of the club near Kaukapakapa is close to the Vipassana Meditation Centre. Students on 10-day residential courses are not meant to talk for the first nine days. Ross Reynolds from the centre said: "This may change the nature of our tranquillity."

He added: "We thought we were totally protected here. It is so incompatible with our lives, to be thinking about pistol shots."

The wider rural community of Makarau was astonished to learn of "secret" plans for the shooting complex.

"It was a heck of a fright," says neighbour Lesley Rowntree. "A nightmare for those who have to live next door."
    She describes it as a "bull in a china shop" planning decision.

"This is hard land that we have turned into our piece of paradise," she said. "The thing we appreciate most is peace and quiet,"
    The community found out about the shooting development quite by accident.

Rowntree's neighbour put the name of their road - Tuhirangi - into Google and he stumbled across a gun club website. It revealed ambitious plans for a $5 million to $6 million pistol and rifle range just over the fence.

To their surprise, when Rowntree and her neighbours rang the local authority, they discovered it was a done deal. Auckland Council had already issued a certificate of compliance. Auckland Council has made no comment about the proximity of the gun club to the meditation centre. It has confirmed the certificate of compliance means the club doesn't have to apply for resource consent.

Rowntree said: "We were told the land was zoned rural and a range is permitted and supported by the Unitary Plan."
    Shooting club spokesman Raymond O'Brien said there was "no intent of secrecy. We've been quite open about it."
    O'Brien, who has competed for New Zealand in pistol shooting events, said: "We want to be good neighbours, very good neighbours."
    Rowntree however asked why neighbours weren't extended the "common courtesy" of being told what was going on. They only found out last week.

Documents show the application for compliance was lodged with the council on June 20.
    "We had it on our list to talk to neighbours but just hadn't got round to it," O'Brien said.
    "What we're doing is a completely allowable activity."

Neighbour Kris Allen, who shares a fence line with the club, was upset by the council decision.
    "I can't let my kids (ages 5 and 7) go down that side. I bought the farm so they could roam and explore the countryside."
    Allen used to practice clay pigeon shooting in his native England: "This is not countryside shooting, this is special forces training for idiots. It's not a sport - it's learning how to take out humans."

But O'Brien said club members were responsible, law-abiding and safety conscious.
    He added: "Pistol shooting is a large growing sport. This will be a fantastic asset for New Zealand.

At the Vipassana retreat they're talking double glazing and acceptance. Said Reynolds: "We try not to get antagonistic or agitated. That is part of our practice."
    - NZ Herald

The hiipies will get used to it and it will be good training for deep meditation, lets face it if you can meditate through gunfire you'll be pretty shit hot at it. The bald headed pom playing lord of the manor will be more of a problem.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Excellent news. Handy enough to home as well.
    Nick-D likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Just wait the nimbys will find a way to stuff this up. 10 acre lifestyle farmers with lots of money and smart lawyer friends could drag this out using all sorts of tricks. Wairarapa gun club is going through this right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Just wait the nimbys will find a way to stuff this up. 10 acre lifestyle farmers with lots of money and smart lawyer friends could drag this out using all sorts of tricks. Wairarapa gun club is going through this right now.
    Thats the problem we have up here. Then the 10 acres become 5 , then 2 1/2 next thing you know the peace and quiets gone.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Waiuku was due to be closed a few years ago. Neighbours there are typical of the Western Springs Speedway syndrome where they move into the area and complain about the noise
    Grim, Skatieguy and 57jl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Gun club cleared to build firing range close to meditation retreat - National - NZ Herald News

A gun club has been cleared to build a firing range two doors down from a silent meditation retreat on the outskirts of Auckland.

The newly-formed Auckland Shooting Club claims the sound of gunfire from 6am to 6pm will seem little more than "gentle raindrops on the roof" for their neighbours. But residents adjacent to the club are upset they only found out about the plans by accident.

The location of the club near Kaukapakapa is close to the Vipassana Meditation Centre. Students on 10-day residential courses are not meant to talk for the first nine days. Ross Reynolds from the centre said: "This may change the nature of our tranquillity."

He added: "We thought we were totally protected here. It is so incompatible with our lives, to be thinking about pistol shots."

The wider rural community of Makarau was astonished to learn of "secret" plans for the shooting complex.

"It was a heck of a fright," says neighbour Lesley Rowntree. "A nightmare for those who have to live next door."
    She describes it as a "bull in a china shop" planning decision.

"This is hard land that we have turned into our piece of paradise," she said. "The thing we appreciate most is peace and quiet,"
    The community found out about the shooting development quite by accident.

Rowntree's neighbour put the name of their road - Tuhirangi - into Google and he stumbled across a gun club website. It revealed ambitious plans for a $5 million to $6 million pistol and rifle range just over the fence.

To their surprise, when Rowntree and her neighbours rang the local authority, they discovered it was a done deal. Auckland Council had already issued a certificate of compliance. Auckland Council has made no comment about the proximity of the gun club to the meditation centre. It has confirmed the certificate of compliance means the club doesn't have to apply for resource consent.

Rowntree said: "We were told the land was zoned rural and a range is permitted and supported by the Unitary Plan."
    Shooting club spokesman Raymond O'Brien said there was "no intent of secrecy. We've been quite open about it."
    O'Brien, who has competed for New Zealand in pistol shooting events, said: "We want to be good neighbours, very good neighbours."
    Rowntree however asked why neighbours weren't extended the "common courtesy" of being told what was going on. They only found out last week.

Documents show the application for compliance was lodged with the council on June 20.
    "We had it on our list to talk to neighbours but just hadn't got round to it," O'Brien said.
    "What we're doing is a completely allowable activity."

Neighbour Kris Allen, who shares a fence line with the club, was upset by the council decision.
    "I can't let my kids (ages 5 and 7) go down that side. I bought the farm so they could roam and explore the countryside."
    Allen used to practice clay pigeon shooting in his native England: "This is not countryside shooting, this is special forces training for idiots. It's not a sport - it's learning how to take out humans."

But O'Brien said club members were responsible, law-abiding and safety conscious.
    He added: "Pistol shooting is a large growing sport. This will be a fantastic asset for New Zealand.

At the Vipassana retreat they're talking double glazing and acceptance. Said Reynolds: "We try not to get antagonistic or agitated. That is part of our practice."
    - NZ Herald
    i cant help but smile at the fact that urban encroachment is having an affect on others instead of us for a change.

the bolded comments show how shallow and ignorant this idiot is, and frankly I dont think it will have that much of an effect on his property, particularly if the club plants a green belt, pine trees or other, on their border.l
    veitnamcam, Glycerine and Knoxy_09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    i cant help but smile at the fact that urban encroachment is having an affect on others instead of us for a change.

the bolded comments show how shallow and ignorant this idiot is, and frankly I dont think it will have that much of an effect on his property, particularly if the club plants a green belt, pine trees or other, on their border.l
    The dickhead doesn't realise that while it may be noisier having a properly regulated range next door it is way safer for his kids to be running around there. No dangers of "mates of mates" going rambo on turkey's goats or possums without checking their back stops etc.

I'd be happier than a pig in shit if someone opened a legit range near me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post

Mr Kris Allen falls into the usual hypocrite group - he participated in a shooting sport in the UK, migrates to NZ and doesn't like the shooting sport we have here.

Relax
    Clear your mind
    Control your breathing
    Focus on your objective
    now pull the bloody trigger
    199p, gadgetman, Dougie and 13 others like this.

This article makes me so happy - I can't even explain why! I'm not even from Auckland! I don't even shoot pistol outside of work!

Cracks me up, neighboring a meditation centre? It would be a 10min drive between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Cracks me up, neighboring a meditation centre? It would be a 10min drive between the two.
    Haha I just spent 5 minutes on google earth checking how close it is too, its about 1.5km away as the crow flies with a hill and what looks like some fairly thick native bush in between.

Imagine if a reporter was capable of doing 5 minutes of basic research before writing an article?
    Grim, veitnamcam, 199p and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Haha I just spent 5 minutes on google earth checking how close it is too, its about 1.5km away as the crow flies with a hill and what looks like some fairly thick native bush in between.

Imagine if a reporter was capable of doing 5 minutes of basic research before writing an article?
    Mainstream media like House values and Clintons and Real Housewives and Carwhateverthefucktheyare's. Main stream media don't like Guns, an old fella with funny hair and asking serious questions.
    Grim, northdude and Tommy like this.