Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: long range 338 tests

long range 338 tests

Here are a few links to some intersting tests being conducted by Lowlight off SnipersHide in the USA checking the actual bc's from various well known manufactures -this testing came about after some great scraps between some members that are developing and have developed and are selling long range projectiles .This is well worth the read if long range shooting give you a chub

note there has been two phases to this test so bear with the threads or speed read at your pleasure

338 LM Accuracy Test and Class @ Gunsite - Sniper's Hide Forums

GUNSITE XLR & BULLET TEST PHASE 2 - Sniper's Hide Forums

Caretaker
    Thanks el.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Those threads highlight exactly why I'm not interested in building a 338 or 375 to shoot turned solids (the ultra high BC ones that is (and it seems the BC's are pretty optimistic too...))... You need a specially crafted gain twist barrel that "should" work. If it doesn't, you are f*cked and are now the proud owner of a tomato stake... Can't shoot a jacketed projectile through them as they will tear apart...

Someone else can do the testing thanks...
    baldbob likes this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Yes , it has been a very interesting test for these guys and great for us all that engoy long range .What is equally as interesting is the manufactures info the is basically shite about there products BC's and ability to shoot stable projo's.
    Anyone here utilizing any kit these guys are shooting and having the same results ? It will also be interesting to see if Bryan Litz chimes in on these tests as his projos dont appear to be as high up the BC Ladder as originally thought -still great projo never the less and the ones I use

My 300gr hybrid BC that I use is actually higher than Brians... But then I'm launching them at 3,275fps instead of the 2.7 -2.8k that they were testing them at. Been good for 1st round hits to 1,300m so far...

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk

Whats interesting for most of us is getting "real reliable info" from our gear .I chronny'd the other day in a cloudy day and got 2865 av and used some one elses chronny tunnel and got 2953 .I will shoot 1000 yards this weekend and see how the come ups are and decide where to from there .
    Claw are you going to the gun slinger comp down your way at Tekapo ?

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Claw are you going to the gun slinger comp down your way at Tekapo ?
    Haven't given it any thought, when is it? Whats the format?

Edit to add: No, I won't be going. Its just after I come back from 8 days tahr hunting... Leave passes will all have been cashed in for that...
    Last edited by The Claw; 11-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Long Range Shooting in New Zealand - Gunslinger the battle of the egos ,where super heros are humbled in front of their peirs and a great time I am sure .

I like these contests cause there are many that boast ability but are not willing to have it on disply and this particular contest goes out to 1 mile .All you long range boys nows your chance to show your stuff , of course if you dare !!!

Mind I think its full this year with around 40 people including 10 flying in from overseas

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    Long Range Shooting in New Zealand - Gunslinger the battle of the egos ,where super heros are humbled in front of their peirs and a great time I am sure .

I like these contests cause there are many that boast ability but are not willing to have it on disply and this particular contest goes out to 1 mile .All you long range boys nows your chance to show your stuff , of course if you dare !!!

Mind I think its full this year with around 40 people including 10 flying in from overseas
    Haha, sounds like it could be a laugh... (or being laughed at...) Not really my scene though though by the looks of the website with all that gucci gear crap & my dick is bigger than yours, chest beating talk. Rather go out hunting...

I was at Tekapo over Easter, used the range to sight in my 338 after changing scopes. Good area for a LR shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Haha, sounds like it could be a laugh... (or being laughed at...) Not really my scene though though by the looks of the website with all that gucci gear crap & my dick is bigger than yours, chest beating talk. Rather go out hunting...

I was at Tekapo over Easter, used the range to sight in my 338 after changing scopes. Good area for a LR shoot...

Easy with the generaliisations about who shoots and what happens at the gunslinger shoots,
    For those that dont know me i am a fencing contractor in the central northisland that loves hunting and steel shooting.
    I was lucky enough to shoot at the horopito shoot and was impressed with the people involved and the targets that we shot as there were many excellent reactive targets and also some serious challenges with each station been timed and also targets to be shot in certain orders to really put the pressure on.
    Yes there was some awesome gear there but also alot of run of the mill stuff as well
    To be honest for the amount of time and cost that Shane goes to to host these shoots at $120 per shooter for that shoot i reckon it was a bloody good day testing your self and your equipment and a few quiets telling lies and stretching the truth with a crew of like minded people.
    By the way i was shooting my 6.5x55 tikka T3 and didnt disgrace myself and by the way Claw you know the best thing about a small dick?
    There is no hole it wont fit in!
    Cheers Andy
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Andyanimal31 actually won the event at Horipito with some very good shooting , little dick or not he with a large one doesnt always win as the Tikka in swede showed us .And yes the guys that go to these shoots top blokes for sureand real enthusists !
    Shane goes to great lenghts to put on a great event that those in the long range community can test themselves at and their gear including the some of the projectiles in the tests I posted.I hear youre intending to attend this shoot Andy

Good work Andy, good to see someone with normal gear that knows how to shoot show those with more dollars than sense how its done.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my last post, but I remember back to when this first started on the other forum and the debacle that ensued there...

Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Good work Andy, good to see someone with normal gear that knows how to shoot show those with more dollars than sense how its done.

Maybe I was a bit harsh in my last post, but I remember back to when this first started on the other forum and the debacle that ensued there...
    Bugger missed that!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Nuthin like a cyber scrap !!! lol Claw love to see you come to an event with your standard gear that Greg has made for you --cough cough "'STANDARD "-Im sure youd have alot of fun and be well impressed with the people that attend these events
    Last edited by el borracho; 11-04-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Not sure where you are heading here, never said anything about my gear, its not standard thats for sure, never said it was. Got nothing to prove to anyone, I don't make a point of talking about what I have and what I can do, I'm just happy to get out there hunting/shooting

Sent from my GT-I9000T using Tapatalk 2