Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 8 Post By Norway
  • 1 Post By Tombi
  • 1 Post By tommygun
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 3 Post By Norway
  • 2 Post By viper

Thread: Longrange shooting film 2

Longrange shooting film 2

Pure spam I know, but I am a little proud of it. Showing LR shooting a little different than the american way...

Looks good, weather looks bad!

I'm just now making my way through number 1 @Norway , number 2 will no doubt follow. love your blog too, it is great stuff.
    Norway likes this.

You Europeans and your bloody straight-pulls!
    Nice one Norway, I've been watching your Youtube channel, good stuff on there too, I've learnt quite a bit
    Norway likes this.

Hey Tommy Gun, they ain't Euro's mate , they are modern day Vikings, just like us, living at the top / bottom of the world, own culture and identity. Yeah don't know about those straight pulls though.
    Tombi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Hey Tommy Gun, they ain't Euro's mate , they are modern day Vikings, just like us, living at the top / bottom of the world, own culture and identity. Yeah don't know about those straight pulls though.
    Maybe a bit of a generalisation, but with military rifles like the Mannlicher and Schmidt-Rubin, and modern sporters from Mauser, Strasser, and Blazer, straight-pulls certainly seem to me like they really took off in Europe but not so much elsewhere, I guess like the Americans have their lever actions.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Actually a really good description. I have noticed that norwegians and kiwis are a little apart from mainstream Europe. Hunting chamois in Austria was almost a culture shock for me. And what you kiwis consider normal hunting trip is a major expedition to most Europeans, and most of you don't understand how capable you are when compared to hunters worldwide.
    PERRISCICABA, viper and Mathias like this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    From what I know - euro hunting is more exclusive and restrictive

Down here it's anyone's game and pretty much everything is a "pest"

Cheers Norway, love watching your videos, I've learn't lot's of stuff off them and not just shooting techniques and idea's but mental approach as well when the shooting isn't going so well. Keep them coming mate.
    gadgetman and faregame like this.

The idea behind straight pull rifles is to reload faster than a conventional bolt action rifle.
    In Europe , wild boar shooting is done a lot in the driving shooting style, with a line of shooters positioned at strategic points.
    You have to be very good at shooting in motion ,running animals, be able to select the exact animal you are allowed to kill among a herd, and also be safe with your gun handling and having a certain etiquette around the whole process.

So , semi autos were not the most adequate , as for many years ( pre 80's)they used to not always be reliable or accurate enough, if allowed to be used at all in the country of use, and sometime you would have been looked badly at if you were pulling one out on a day s hunt( etiquette)
    That is where blaser and others started to work on the straight pull hunting rifles ( yes I know the Rubin and other military straight pull rifles did exist prior to that, but they did not have that hunting look and were limited in the choice of calibers).

Looking forward to the new one. Love the music too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

@Friwi nice summary, just a shame about their price tag usually

Well, it has to do with the complicated mechanism, the tight tolerances and the greater number of ( complicated)parts to produce.
    A savage axis is probably the simpliest and cheapest bolt action rifle platform to manufacture at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Well, it has to do with the complicated mechanism, the tight tolerances and the greater number of ( complicated)parts to produce.
    A savage axis is probably the simpliest and cheapest bolt action rifle platform to manufacture at the moment.
    Understand that bit, and they are probably worth it but out of my budget