Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New NZ 3 gun divisions

New NZ 3 gun divisions

Seeing as Tactical Division has been dropped what is everyone planning to do? Keep the scope and step up to Open Div or swap for some iron's and go down to Standard?

Im staying in open, stick to what i know and thats optics. The open guys arnt that scary.

There was little to no difference between a tactical or open rifle anyway. Both used an optic, the open could have 2 optics but the tac could use offset irons anyway, much of a muchness, no distinct advantage either way. A bipod was the only real advantage open had and thats realy only stage dependant and can also turn into a hinderence mid stage.

So what you had was a rifle division with the same pool of shooters split into 2 differently named rifle divisions, it just watered down the competition.

Think i might have to get into this 3 gun eh
    TimK likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Yeah the difference between divisions becomes more apparent in pistol and shotgun though

Yes but youre not shooting against open pistols and open shotguns directly just by choosing to shoot open rifle. You shoot in whatever pistol division you want for your share of the 100% of that division, same goes for shotgun. At the end of it your combined score is out of 300 and youre either put into open or standard depending on your gun choices.
    R93, Beaker and specweapon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    Yes but youre not shooting against open pistols and open shotguns directly just by choosing to shoot open rifle. You shoot in whatever pistol division you want for your share of the 100% of that division, same goes for shotgun. At the end of it your combined score is out of 300 and youre either put into open or standard depending on your gun choices.
    Was discussing this with 3 other members of our club that shoot 3 gun and nobody know anything about how this works. Needless to say though we are all sadly dropping Strike Eagles for BUIS

Its pretty straight foward, just grand tournament rules, pistol nz has a write up on its 3 gun page about how it works. The last few events have been run with these rules, once you shoot it it will become alot clearer.

If youre worried that your open rifle means your production pistol is being scored against full blown race pistols then dont worry, thats not how it works!

But shooting an Open rifle means my overall ranking will be in the Grand Tournament Open division? because I get placed in the highest division of my 3 firearms, not that I'm concerned about being in the running for a medal

Any open component will put you into overall open, however assuming there are enough competitors shooting different divisions to be offered you can mix and match so tactical is offered indirectly. I shoot an open rifle having an optic (or bipod/compensator over3" X 1") so I'll automatically be put in open overall; I shoot a standard shotgun (competing against other standard shotguns) ...it should be noted manual action shotgun (i.e. pump) is a thing however there generally aren't enough entries to run it as a division in itself; I shoot production pistol against other production shooters (to me production is a safe bet since it is so common, last nationals I think some guys came with classic guns and there weren't enough of them to have a classic division so they got placed into standard and boy does that make life hard) Then had respective percentages.

It should probably be noted that Tactical was never a real IPSC 3-gun division, don't get me wrong it is the division I used to shoot...it was accessible and frankly if you have an AR you want to put an optic on it but I had no intention of forking out the coin for an open pistol and shotgun. The grand tournament allows you to shoot close to tactical, remain competitive and stay within international rules. Whenever I try to explain it it always comes across more complicated than it actually is. So keep your razors on and go open overall.
    Last edited by Mufasa; 06-03-2016 at 10:43 PM.

R93
    I think the biggest farce in 3gun is the shotgun.
    Competing against who has the most money and gadgets.

A standard or production pistol, a sensible tactical shotgun, hand fed and shot like shotguns were intended and a scoped rifle would be the norm in any military or police application. Where did it get so retarded?

I will still enjoy shooting 3 or multi gun but trying to keep up with the rules and stuff has me thinking I should have went to law school instead of soldier school. 😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    nickstone likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yes if you shoot open rifle you will be placed in open overall, no biggy though. If your other two guns arnt open then youre only battling it out head to head with other open shooters in the rifle disipline anyway. Overall your score will be in open but its how well you perform in all 3 disiplines that dictates how good your score is when its all combined and totaled up.

Any 1-4 power scope is just as good as any of the dedicated open rigs people are running. Its how you use it that counts.

Im guessing youre shooting the nationals?

Your decision to which rifle disipline to shoot may be made clearer depending on your answer to the following question/s..

"Can i guarantee 2 charlies minimum, on a standard ipsc paper target at 200mtrs, while on the clock and using open sights?"

or

"Can i guarantee alpha charlie minimum, on a swinger at 100mtrs while on the clock and using open sights?"

When a group of us formed the Practical Shooting Institute (PSI) in 1983 there were only 3 divisions; pistol, rifle, and shotgun. The courses of fire varied greatly from natural terrain field courses with unknown targets, to short and sharp urban scenarios. If you wished to burden your gun with all sorts of extra gear the no one cared, you just 'run what you brung'. Pistol NZ (then the NZ Pistol Assn) obstructed us at every turn and our practical pistol courses were creative adaptations of existing approved matches until we succeeded in getting IPSC approved. Suddenly the NZPA wanted to be in control of this new sport (despite their years of actively trying to prevent it) and through devious means eventually won out. The PSI had only one major rule (apart from all the normal safety requirements) and that was that the competition would always run regardless of the weather conditions. We also introduced the holster training scheme which was basically free (I am badge #1). Now the holster courses are expensive and the sport has more rules and divisions than a communist government department. 'Real life' has been replaced by rampant bureacracy!
    res and jackson21 like this.

So, it looks like 3 gun has gone back to how it was before? Anyone going to change plans for SI 3 gun's with Grand Tournament being dropped?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    So, it looks like 3 gun has gone back to how it was before? Anyone going to change plans for SI 3 gun's with Grand Tournament being dropped?
    Eh? So this thread is now mute?
    I am lost😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Wheres the info on that one? @specweapon

3 gun
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....