Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New NZ 3 gun divisions

It would be cool if they did like a "service" division in 3 gun, where you shot "as issued" "weapons".

They pretty much do, you shoot production pistol or classic pistol, and standard shotgun (or pump shotgun) and open rifle (if you want optics on rifle) or standard rifle (iron sights on rifle). Done. Then youre placed into either open or standard overall, depending on rifle choice from the above options. How many different divisions do you guys want? Its already pretty straight foward.

An update to the 3 gun rules after a large review following the Nationals and last 2 tournaments.
    Grand tournament does not seem to be working and we are not getting numbers that we have in the past. This is due to a few things but mainly the Grant tournament rules.
    So after much discussion I think we have come up with a solution.
    We are going to have 4 divisions
    Open: Open rifle, Open shotgun, Open pistol
    Standard: Standard rifle, Standard shotgun, Standard Pistol
    NZ Modified: Open rifle, Standard or modified shotgun, Standard pistol
    NZ Manual: Open rifle, Standard Manual Shotgun, Standard pistol
    Open and Standard are international used divisions
    Reasons for this change
    •By doing this we will have an even playing field in each division.
    •The firearms used will be under IPSC rules. See D5, 6 and 7 appendix for how each firearm needs to conform.
    •New people can start in Manual with a production pistol, a pump shotgun and a rifle. This will encourage new people without costing them lots of money to get into it.
    •Those that like to shoot rifle with an optic but don’t want to shoot open can you will be in Mod
    •Production, Revolver and Classic pistols will be run as Standard division pistols with this system until such time as we get more people shooting the matches. We will then review more divisions for these pistols.
    The next match for the South Islands on the 9th and 10th July 2016 will run by these rules.
    You will be graded in these divisions from now on.
    I want to make sure we are getting people shooting and driving 3gun. By doing this change I hope that those that have been put off by taking away tactical will come and shoot in these matches. Divisions will not be able to be gamed as such which has been a large issue for people.
    I also want to lock in a yearly date for the nationals like IPSC pistol does so we all know and can book it in early.
    If you have an idea on a date that would suit please let me know.
    Any more issues then please email me at 3gunnz@gmail.com
    Thanks Dean Albiston
    PNZ 3 gun Section Director
    Kscott likes this.

Manual sounds like the division for me.

R93
    Thanks for posting that mate.

It looks like manual will have a big showing😆

Suits me.
    Dunno if I will make the south island event as I am scheduled for work. Sucks as it is a 5 min drive for me to attend from home.
    I may take leave but don't like my chances.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

So we got rid of Tactical division.... and now call it Modified division....
    All jokes aside though I do like the change, although I have been shooting the last 2 months with my pistol setup for Open and Rifle with iron sights for Standard to get the practise, but I guess that's what they mean by divisions being gamed.
    Now to strip my Czechmate back to standard and put my scope back on the AR
    R93 and Beaker like this.

R93
    Just a note. We were told at our AGM the south Islands has been pushed out to the 18th and 19th as it clashed with another shoot.

I will try and confirm that as soon as I can.

Better not have been, I just booked my flights. That being said if I knew they were making the changes to the rules I wouldn't have bothered coming down.

R93
    Don't quote me on it. It is still scheduled for the 9th and 10th on PNZ website.

It was definitely mentioned at the AGM tho that it was to be pushed out a week or intended to be.
    We as a club did not know we were definitely hosting the event until recently.

I will find out asap.

I have my concerns if these are the new rules. Until someone can elaborate more i can only make assumptions on how the scoring is going to work but it looks like the best open rifle shooter isnt going to be outright winner of open rifle as 2 other divisions are also using open rifle and they wont be directly scored against each other. Just looks like easy grades to me and a big watering down of the already low numbers involved in 3-gun with these new divisions. Also concerned to what they mean by production revolver and classic being scored as standard pistol? It must mean that you are being scored directly against standard guns? Since we arnt using grand tournament rules and all? Goodluck to the production shooters who find themselves pitted against a half decent standard shooter within your new division, youre going to get burnt with your minor scoring and lower mag capacity. Hilarious!

This is all my assumption until they make it all clear but just throwing it out there.

Would love to know what you think about it mufasa?

R93
    Correct me if I am wrong but you will be scored via your division no?
    Open division shooters generally shoot open across the board and are allowed an extra optic and bipod on their rifle?
    An open shooter by design should still win by aggregate anyway?

Im assuming you are only scored against those within the division you enter as well r93. But 3 of those divisions have an open rifle element and another 3 have a standard pistol element and another 2 have a standard shotgun element. Under grand tournament all open rifle shooters would compete against each other, so they were basicaly battling it out and the winner of open rifle was the winner of open rifle (same goes for shotgun and pistol variants).
    With the new change it seems you only compete against those in your new chosen division (assumption) so you have watered down the open rifle standard pistol and standard shotgun participants as they are now spread out accross other divisions. If you luck out you may enter a division that has all the good rifle shotgun and pistol shooters in different divisions to which you find yourself in and boom! easy GM grade earnt because you got to shoot against some of the lesser shooters?

Under grand tournament anyone could fit into a division and shoot with whatever they had brought with them. The new set doesnt cater for everyone.

Once again only assumption on my behalf but i cant see it working any other way unless all standard pistols (for example) are being shot against all other standard pistols for score, no matter what division the shooter is in (basicaly means that best standard pistol shooter wins standard pistol but that would be grand tournament scoring wouldnt it?)

R93
    Yeah I get ya now.
    Not sure how I feel about it until I shoot a big match.

I just wanna shoot with what I have and that is an open rifle because of an optic. Standard pistol and shotgun. If I am up against other open shooters with the rifle so be it. I don't want to be up against open pistol and shotgun shooters because of one platform, so the new format for now, appeals to me.
    Not sure how it will pan out in the long run but being relatively new to 3 gun I think they have catered for shooters set up the same as me and maybe that will gain more interest in the sport?

I hear yah, but with your setup you were never up against open shotgun or open pistols under grand tournament anyway. You shot against the same equipment that you are using. It was an even playing field regardless. The greatest misconseption i see around grand tournament is that shooters simply dont understand how it works, and i reckon once they hear the word open class their judgement gets clouded and they think they are up against race guns when its just simply not the case.

Well im divisionless now anyway, unless i drop even more cash to get setup for it. But ive spent 9k on 3 gun gear in the last 12 months and i dont think i can be fucked spending any more. On the plus side its going to be cheaper for me not attending all these shoots. I dunno.

R93
    It is all a mind F#$k for me to be fair.
    As are a lot of these events and rules.
    There must be a lack of understanding and apprehension regarding the grand tournament rules.
    I for one did not understand them fully.

When I chased sporting clays the best shot on their day won, and within reason it did not matter what equipment he or she had.

This game is not as clear cut for me, but it is a challange I look forward too.😆

Last edited by R93; 18-05-2016 at 12:20 PM.