Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Range Etiquette (or lack thereof)

Range Etiquette (or lack thereof)

Well, just getting over the lurgy, so I thought I would trot out to the local NZDA range to function test 2 rifles (SKS with a poly mag, and a Norinco Bushmaster 7.62X39 bolt action, newly purchased). Arrive there, to find a target shooter testing the new barrel on his very expensive looking piece of kit. Exchange the usual polite hellos, and get myself set up. Ran the target boards out, and then we start shooting. First up is the Bushmaster. Cycles well, but not quite ejecting every spent round. Halfway thru the mag I get the feeling I am being watched. Look over and the other gent has parked himself on the next bench to eyeball what I am doing. Hmmm, only a little bit spooky..

Back to finishing that mag, make the rifle safe, and we agree to look at the targets. Back from the targets, and I load up for the next set. Only just get the 5th round in the mag, and the other gent asks if its OK to bring his targets back. OK. He walks halfway up then comes back & says he will throw another 10 down the range. No worries, so to let the Bushamaster cool, I pick up the SKS and function test the new mag - yay! no last round vertical!. Other gent wanders up range to retrieve his target. I meet him halfway, and congratulate him on the nice grouping.

I wander back after seeing 2 virgin target boards (hmmm....). Then another bloke turns up, and proceeds to yarn to the first bloke about target shooting. I load up the SKS mag again while I wait for them to finish. Mag full, Bushmaster mag full.. still yakking. Then a third bloke turns up, who is also apparently a target shooter. He brings his flash piece of kit out and then the 3 gents proceed to yak away about Australian champs, barrel floating, and various other target shooting stuff that bores the hell out of the average bush hunter.

So, 10 minutes later, I am still standing, waiting politely for them to finish. (My mum impressed upon me the correct use of manners when I was a wee fella). So I count the rounds left, rearrange the gear box, fiddle with my earmuffs, but another 10 minutes and the circle jerk session hasn't finished!.

So, a quick squizz at the time, and, shit, I need to get back home. Start to pack up, unloading the mags, removing bolts, making everything safe, and still the yakka is going on.. They were still going strong when I left..

My question is, if its obvious that someone wants to throw some lead down the range, and you want to exercise your jaw muscles, would it not be polite to fuck off somewhere else and let them have at it?

FFS, I was at the range for 1.5 hours, and only threw 12 rounds down range.

Ejected
    Just politely ask them to relocate so you can continue what you came to do?

Common sense isn't common
    Grim, veitnamcam, Pointer and 1 others like this.

Have you considered politely approaching them and saying "excuse me chaps, I'd like to fire a few more rounds, do you mind putting on your hearing protection?" instead of waiting til later to complain on the internet?

I know at our range , if you want to shoot and people are standing close .... you yell out "eyes and ears" and let them fuk off or put on eyewear and earmuffs .... they can wander away and carry on their yap session .
    gadgetman, Ryan, seano and 2 others like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

I've had that at Upper Hutt as well. I said to them one day that I was going to shoot and they didn't show much interest. I said they should put ear muffs on but they still didn't care and kept talking. They put them on after I fired the 30-338 win mag with the muzzle brake. They even got upset cause it was loud.
    Maybe they should have put their ear muffs on like I said.
    If the range is open, then hearing protection should be worn.
    puku, GWH, mikee and 10 others like this.

If they were yacking at the safe end of the range and the shooting range was clear then your fine to shoot in my book.
    Mooseman and Steve123 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Just politely ask them to relocate so you can continue what you came to do?

Common sense isn't common
    That's all that is needed, in all facets of life.

Signed - Boring Target Shooter (who is very tolerant of other types of shooters but will probably look sideways at all SKS owners in the future as it appears my style of shooting has been pidgeon holed).

Also, on our range, if there are more than 1 shooter someone has to except the RO's role to control safety and to keep things moving.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I know at our range , if you want to shoot and people are standing close .... you yell out "eyes and ears" and let them fuk off or put on eyewear and earmuffs .... they can wander away and carry on their yap session .
    +1

Had some dick head at Taupo a few months ago with a semi auto, he had an 1800 sq white target erected and nearly drove me nuts standing there unloading mags as quick as he could. Its a rifle range FFS and if you want to do shit like that find a a friendly quarry or such, makes it hard when your wanting to sight in a rifle.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    +2

They're big enough to gain a FAL, they're big enough to decide when to put on ear protection/move.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I would have (politely) asked them to move etc so you could continue shooting, it is after all why you are there it is a rifle range, not a knitting circle....

I spend plenty of time at our NZDA range making tons of noise.

I'm always careful with making sure guys have their hearing protection on before I fire, especially when there are kids around.

Its amazing how many people show up with none....."only shooting a 22"....

Under the roof supers are loud enough without someone else on one of the other 19 benches using with a centre fire or with a braked cannons

I went to a range, last week, to do some testing.

About 1/2 way through I turned round to find another shooter had parked himself on other side of the bay with a spotting scope to watch. Didn't really mind as I was only testing, but did think it was kind of rude to park himself in my bay without waiting to ask first.

Shoot 4 x 10 shot groups at less than 1 MOA at 100 yards for each group. Wasn't testing accuracy but was satisfied with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Had some dick head at Taupo a few months ago with a semi auto, he had an 1800 sq white target erected and nearly drove me nuts standing there unloading mags as quick as he could. Its a rifle range FFS and if you want to do shit like that find a a friendly quarry or such, makes it hard when your wanting to sight in a rifle.
    People want to do different things at a rifle range, whether you like/understand what they're doing or not doesn't mean it's not a legitimate use of the facility
    rogers.270, ARdave, Ryan and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    People want to do different things at a rifle range, whether you like/understand what they're doing or not doesn't mean it's not a legitimate use of the facility
    I agree but its a great way to stuff the traps and boards, I think a range officer may have moved him on. I left as I cannot concentrate with that going on.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The range I use was packed out on Sunday but everything went well, Bit of a hassle with ppl showing up just after everyone had put targets up but once we were all settled in things were good. I'll try to just go in bad weather though, lots less people around.