Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Recoil 270

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    slap a limbsaver on and your done she wont feel a thing.
    I don't think I have shot anything with a limb saver Mucko but are they really that good?
    Last edited by Rushy; 01-12-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Advice pls , Would a Suppressed 270 be to much for a my 10 year old daughter ? . She's nagging me to take her for a hunt ,where she shoots an animal . Sounds like its going to be a Wallaby , have got a 22 but probably a bit light thoughts ?
    I load a 110g Sierra pro hunter for my boy using 2206h reduced load it is doing 2500fps and is really soft to shoot with a suppressor, it is zeroed for 100m
    Cheers
    6 mm
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Thanks Everybody for advice given. Im going to Err on the side if caution , and not let her shoot the 270 . Thanks Gm & striker for the offer of a loaner , but I'm not keen on borrowing fire arms . I might look at a cheep 223 or 243 if anyone got one they want to pass on ?
    Think you on the right track, i know some dont seem to mind but from what i seen and heard a 270 is just not suitable for a newbie. i personally dont like them.{havnt met one yet that doesnt kick and makes a rackett) A 243 is a awesome Cal, and i believe that cal is such a winner you cant go wrong. Next to no recoil, accurate, and will do the business on any game here in Nz to a suitable range. Forget the 223 .A 243 gives you more options and distance. power and can always be the go to rifle than the 223 which in the right hands is pretty good but it has more limits. Otherwise a 308 is the next step, good to shoot and even thou the recoil isnt much difference compared to a 270 still havnt seen a 270 that feels nicer to shoot (with recoil than a 308) and for a new shooter having a rifle that is a pleasure to use is a key in getting them happy into the sport . And you dont have to worry about reloading to reduce the power etc, you can just buy factory straight of the shelve and it works.

Munsey my ten cents worth.
    I take it she shoots already. So how's her technique?
    If it's good and she has the high and wide in the shoulder plus forend grip. Then fine go for it.
    But if she is shooting F class style (free recoil, cross armed) then no I'd not let her near it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I don't think I have shot anything with a limb saver Mucko but are they really that good?
    did you not have a crack out of my 264Wm. yes they are bloody good, highly recommend them for $80 odd its a cheap way to make shooting comfortable with any caliber. my 264 has very little felt recoil dear I compare to a 22 but its pretty soft.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/