Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rust in the barrel.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackangus View Post
    No. just in the garage.
    I would say there's half your problem.
    On a rainy day in a typical metal safe humidity will be high.
    You could also try a wardrobe heater.

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    The only rust pitting I've ever come across personally was in a mates Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 with stainless barrel. The internals were totally pitted the entire length. I took it to the range and I managed to shoot a 10 shot 3" group with it at 100m... still, that pales to the ten shot 6" group that 'he' managed to eek out of it!
    I own a bore scope and ALLWAYS simply thoroughly clean my S/S barrels and store them "completely dry", sometimes for a couple of years or more on end, and I ain't NEVER seen anything untoward like rust pits down any of my barrels! Removing that carbon is the biggest killer for barrels as it's a desiccant in it's own rite! A barrel nearly always looks clean when you hold it to the light, but, put a bore scope through it and quite often it's a different story!
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    me to my 788 222 has rust pitting an a small area about half way down the barrel doest affect the accuracy at all i think it would be the most accurate center fire i own
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

No. just in the garage.
    Last time I was home I had a look in my Dads safe...its in the garage as well surface rust to the shot guns in there. So I had a look for the the Napier VP90 Total Corrosion Protection product that we us in the UK! It's very good stick one to the inside of your safe each year date it, and replace it as it expires. Trouble was that I could not find it in NZ even though it's invented by a Kiwi.
    If you look on Amazon you may be able to get some.
    Or try some shoe beans moisture sachet

As a side note I have rifles in the uk and the safe is against a retaining wall, no rust since using the V90's

Mix some ATF (Dextron 2 or 3 ) with equal parts acetone, white spirits and kerosene. This will clean your bore and prevent rust. Dont get on your plastics or varnish as it will dissolve them. This works as a penetrating oil (awesome) gets under and lifts lead in a 22 barrel, If you wrap oo steel wool around a worn out bronze brush and use with liberal amounts of this mix in your bore you can remove the rust and polish the bore at the same time. This mix makes a fine gun oil and lubricant and as such use in small amounts.

Hi guys,
    ...rifle is kept in the gun cabinet always, with a throw away dehumidifier...

The effectiveness of this depends on a combo of
    - average humidity of the air in the cabinet
    - volume of the dessicant relative to the air
    - keeping the dessicant unsaturated
    - how much air exchange there is in the cabinet

It's quite possible the amount of moisture you need the dessicant to remove far exceeds its capability.
    It's also easy to leave a disposable capsule past its saturated point and the protection is gone at that point.

As for anti-corrosion surface treatments, Corrosion X For Guns topped the list on a long-term systematic test of various products. I had to talk a local outfit into stocking some but glad I did.