Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shooting a couple of 338s

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik470 View Post
    Why did you re-barrel the Barret?
    Because the factory barrel was a piece of shit, they are sending be another one apparently but I will be 90 before it getts here, bloody hopeless yanks.

It has as least two radial rings in the chamber & it is so over sized that I have split 3 Redding & a Hornady die resizing Normal brass.

It has/had radial machining marks visable in the muzzle, also a larger diameter drill will go into the muzzle than my other 4-5 338 barrels

It copper fouled like a complete mother fucker right from the start, I tried every thing, it still did after 6-700 rounds, that's a hell of a lot of $$$ in rounds alone.

It did shoot well until it fouled & then it took 5-7 rounds to settle down after cleaning, then after 15-20 it would need cleaning again..

It won't even stabilise 225s now.

Other than that I really like it, as cool as they come very functional if a little heavy, nice 10 round mags & case.

I imported it myself & it owed me less than I could get a TRG from the usual places, it probably owes me a little more than a TRG now

It shoots quite well now for the platform that it is, probably will never be as accurate as a "normal" bolt action.

I'm very impressed with the Norma round & will see how it goes at distance in a few days

Ejected
    Take her out on the bunnies with the 223 in a arsehole of a block. I did that with the boy (just 12) and bloody near learnt more than him on the day, just seeing how they go about thing's has got me thinking....

He's turning into a crack shot to, but HATES the noise and won't shoot without the muffs on. Even the 223 with the can on. Good to see you and her getting out there doing it but.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Take her out on the bunnies with the 223 in a arsehole of a block. I did that with the boy (just 12) and bloody near learnt more than him on the day, just seeing how they go about thing's has got me thinking....

He's turning into a crack shot to, but HATES the noise and won't shoot without the muffs on. Even the 223 with the can on. Good to see you and her getting out there doing it but.
    Took her down to Quentins when she was 10, this time of year, 2 years ago now....man time flies...

I got her Sams old CZ 204, the first centre fire she had shot, first bunnie at 95 yards

The third time we went out she shot 2 @ 190, 1 @ 270 & 2 out of 3 @ 309 yards & severly harassed a rock @ 360 odd

The scope was hard to use & eye relief was critical, lead to a bit of frustration on both sides.

After we got back I got her to shoot some groups & I still don't know how she shot so many rabbits, I guess a bit of paper isn't as exciting as a bunnie.

She is deffinately getting better with age & I guess only being able to do it in the holidays with Dad makes it even more exciting.

I wanted to get her her first Red Deer this holidays but I don't think thats going to happen, good things take time.

I will see how far she can get a bunnie or two today & steel tomorrow

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Loved the videos of your daughter shooting, looks like the new Terminator brakes are working great, the big question now is can you keep up with the rush to buy one.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

I shot some good sub moa groups at distance with it on the coast & it has settled down nicely now, Very happy with it finally