Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sks at the range

Quote Originally Posted by misha2001 View Post
    I grabbed one cheap off a guy from tardme. Assured me it cycled fine. Cleaned all the goop out, and made the inside of the barrel shiny again, then took it to the range. Cycled ok, until the last round which went vertical and got case crushed by the bolt. Bugger. Tried 3 more mag fills with the same result. Got home and tweaked the follower. Out to the range again, same result. Double bugger.

So, grabbed a 7 round Tapco mag, and spent an hour filing and fitting it. Hand cycles fine with no last round vertical. Now just need to get to the range for the acid test.

I love the rifle though. A bit quirky compared to my bolt actions, but fun to shoot. Only other problem is that the ammo container seems to have a large hole in... Hmmmm...
    Yep Had same problem seven, and the last one jams, but open the bottom and lay 5 rounds and close. when I'm ready to fire, I cock and load ect. Just as good as having a removable mag, certainly wont get 10 rounds in there
    I really liked my russian made SKK back in the days before gun control in OZ, got it and a case of ammo for $300 dollars, and got $300 back for it with the gov buy back
    Last edited by Natatale; 09-07-2016 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    Yep Had same problem seven, and the last one jams, but open the bottom and lay 5 rounds and close. when I'm ready to fire, I cock and load ect. Just as good as having a removable mag, certainly wont get 10 rounds in there
    I really liked my russian made SKK back in the days before gun control in OZ, got it and a case of ammo for $300 dollars, and got $300 back for it with the gov buy back
    Ow, I would like a rusky SKK, hate to think what one would be worth now, prob more than a reasonable AK...

Look at your cartridge follower (the bit on the arm that elevates the cartridges) is it level and does it float freely if its stiff and wont rock the last round will probably be wrongly presented.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Ow, I would like a rusky SKK, hate to think what one would be worth now, prob more than a reasonable AK...
    Had these 2 SKS's and the SKK just before the close of the OZ buy back scheme.
    Note the SKK in this photo isnt the USSR made SKK !!Name:  09071601.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  198.1 KB
    Knoxy_09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Look at your cartridge follower (the bit on the arm that elevates the cartridges) is it level and does it float freely if its stiff and wont rock the last round will probably be wrongly presented.
    Hi Marty. Yep checked that when I tweaked the follower. I did notice that that the follower plate was nose high, but I levelled it. When hand cycling the bolt, I noticed that the last round always seemed to present nose high. I am hoping the Tapco will work ok. Have seen just about every YouTube clip about mags for SKS, and the general consensus seems to be in favour of the tapcos.

Quote Originally Posted by misha2001 View Post
    Hi Marty. Yep checked that when I tweaked the follower. I did notice that that the follower plate was nose high, but I levelled it. When hand cycling the bolt, I noticed that the last round always seemed to present nose high. I am hoping the Tapco will work ok. Have seen just about every YouTube clip about mags for SKS, and the general consensus seems to be in favour of the tapcos.
    I have found that 5 rounds runs well, I tried bending the follower on different angels but always with 7 rounds seemed to cock the last round to left of the breach and the round noses into the edge of the breach, and on the last round with soft nose projectiles it either takes a piece off the nose or stops the round from going in. With FMJ rounds it work every time with 7 round.