Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Tuukka
  • 3 Post By SlimySquirrel

Thread: Supressor Questions.

Supressor Questions.

Hey all.
    Just a question, when you take the suppressor off and then put it back on to shoot, does it effect the bullets path?
    What I mean is if the suppressor is wound on slightly tighter or slightly looser. Will that effect anything?
    Or does it make no real difference?

I wouldn't think so. What is of much more importance seems to be the moisture that can develop inside the suppressor if left on. This seems to increase the risk of rusting and pitting the barrel and suppressor. Someone much smarter than me no doubt will know how it affects aim. I have not noticed any change on my .243 or 7mm08, but we are not shooting any real long range stuff where any small change would be magnified.

On my Marlin .22 if it's slightly loose it sags enough for the bullets to clip it and you notice it shooting about 2 metres low at a distance of 50 metres.

The key issue with reflex suppressors (those that reach back past the muzzle) is to avoid having the rear bushing touching the barrel. If it does, you will definitely suffer a POI shift on refitting. Be certain that there is enough clearance cut to avoid this.

A properly made suppressor fitted onto a barrel where the threads have been made right, the POI should not change when removing and reinstalling.

However usually there is a POI shit between unsuppressed and suppressed, on many centrefire calibes usually c. 0 - 10 cm at 100 meters.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    However usually there is a POI shit between unsuppressed and suppressed

Never done a suppressed one!!
    gadgetman, keneff and A330driver like this.

Some of the rifles I've had & have do suffer from first shot POI differences when installing the over barrel suppressor, then they go back to shooting nicely

Seems to be more noticeable than my unsuppressed rifles.

I was always under the impression that they may change and mine certainly do because anything on Or touching the barrel is going to interfere with barrel harmonics?? Is this no longer the case. Those saying they shouldn't shift do they have experience to back this up?? Key is if yours doesn't change points between on and off then you are lucky. I was always told that once you have a Supressor you need to decide what way you are going to shoot. With or without. Remember they can also change the FPS.

I may well be wrong on anyone of my points above thought but this is from my experience

Hamish

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    Im about to take the gun out to re sight it, so I might take it off and put it back on and see if it makes a change once its sighted in.
    Also, I was thinking of getting a new suppressor for my bush pig .308, obviously opening a can(excuse the pun) of worms but any ideas on what would be a good lightweight one?