Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tarata 800 - Medium Range Steel Shoot - Saturday 16th of March 2013

Tarata 800 - Medium Range Steel Shoot - Saturday 16th of March 2013

As per the other thread (New Plymouth Medium Range Steel Shoot) I am running a medium range steel shoot here in taranaki on Saturday the 16th of March 2013. The shoot will be held regardless of weather conditions.

There will be a competition run in the morning for those who want to compete. There will be a "have a go" period after lunch for those who just want to try out some gear and ring some steel.
    Camping is allowed on the site if it is organised through me or the land owner prior to the date. There is no power or drinkable water on site though the farmer lives just down the road.

Once you confirm (via PM) that you want to come along i'll pass on the location and a contact phone number. I have not decided whether or not to charge a fee. If i do decide to charge a fee it will be no more than $10 per shooter. If anyone wants to volunteer to help out on the day that would be very much appreciated.

The basic rules that will apply all day are as follows:
    1. All attendees will be required to attend a safety briefing. I will only hold two safety briefings through the day - one before the competition and one after lunch - DO NOT BE LATE AND MISS A BRIEFING
    2. Safety is the first priority. Unsafe behavior will not be tolerated.
    3. Common sense is required. The landowner or persons running the shoot shall not be liable for accidents should they occur. Attendees shall be responsible for themselves - this includes, but is not limited to personal, firearm and vehicle related accidents.
    4. Nominated range officers will be identified during the briefings. If they tell you to do something don't argue with them - just do it.
    5. Shooting is not golf, it is not tennis - competitors and attendees are encouraged to continue talking while others are shooting. Shooting is not however, a contact sport. Other competitors and attendees shall not contact or force contact with a person while they are shooting.
    6. Normal firearm rules and laws apply:
      Treat every firearm as loaded.
      Always point firearms in a safe direction.
      Load a firearm only when ready to fire.
      Identify your target beyond all doubt.
      Check your firing zone.
      Store firearms and ammunition safely.
      Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms.
    7. The firearm is to be cleared by one of the range officers before it can be removed from the firing line.
    8. A Empty Chamber Flag shall be inserted in the rifle at all times unless you are ready to shoot (I will have a heap of spare Empty Chamber Indicators there on the day).
    9. Junior and unlicensed shooters are to be supervised by a licensed individual at all times they are handling or carrying a firearm.
    10. Ear protection shall be worn by all attending.
    11. The range officers decision shall be final.
    12. Bring your own sunscreen, water, food, patience and sense of humor There is no shade where we'll be for the day and no water.

Shooting rules shall be as follows:
    1. In general calibers up to and including .338” shall be allowed. A competitor’s rifle caliber shall be submitted for approval prior to shoot registration. A bullet weight / muzzle velocity may be required to be provided by the competitor to help assessing the rifle caliber as acceptable.
    2. Any rifle of any weight with any sight shall be allowed. For this shoot muzzle breaks shall be allowed. Suppressors are fine.
    3. Any form of rest shall be allowed; this includes bipods, packs, sand bags, shooting sticks… Any form of rear rest shall also be allowed including monopod, pack, sand bag…
    4. No steel core, armor piercing, tracer or incendiary ammunition shall be allowed.
    5. Range finders are allowed.

Competition Portion Information
    • Competition safety briefing will be at 9am - all attendees should be there by this time. I will shut the access track after the safety briefing. After this time you will only be allowed up to the shoot position at the range officers discretion. The range access track passes in front of the shoot position. If you come up that track while we are shooting i will simply ask you to turn around and leave. The access track will have a sign on it stating "Do not pass this point".
    • Spectators are fine, just be on time.
    • Competitors will be required to register so they can be squaded (squads of three, more than one squad will be shooting at the same time)
    • The competition is limited to the first 18 people registered. You may register before the day.
    • There will be no sight in period for the competition. Turn up with your gear (including your dope) sorted.
    • Competitors will require 20 rounds of ammunition for the competition.
    • Do not range any target until told by the range officer that you may do so.
    I will get all the quads to shoot the first position and then i'll get two or three squads shooting at once. The majority of the scoring will be done by spotting scope. If you bring smaller caliber (i.e. a .224 caliber) then be prepared to have some of your hits at medium distances not recorded - the range officers decision is final, don't argue.
    The competition is not hard and multiple shots will be required at each target. Target distances will vary between 300m and 850m.

"Have A Go" Portion Information
    • Safety briefing will be at 1:30pm - all attendees should be there by this time. I will open the access track once the competition is finished and close it again after the safety briefing. After this time you will only be allowed up to the shoot position at the range officers discretion.
    • Please turn up with your rifle zeroed and ready to go.
    I'll be around to make sure things run smoothly and help out where i can i will occasionally shut the range to open up the access track and repaint targets.

Feel free to ask me questions whenever. I am bound to have forgotten to mention a few things in this post. I am not sure yet if i'll put on a BBQ or something else. That will get sorted before the day.

Thank You mate

Looks like a nice set of rules.

I am still a maybe at this stage.

Really wont know until a few days before hand

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Looks like a nice set of rules.
    Yep, rules... the part of the day i least like

Banned
    but yet you hold the audience with your safety breifings so well

R93
    Good on ya Gillie! Another outing I wish I could, but cant attend. Can you move to the South Island? I will keep an eye out for one of your shoots next year and make the trip over if I am still here in Oz. I have met a couple like minded idividuals here that would love to come over as well. Do you allow decendants of criminals to attend? They can hold the plates up I spose.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    gillie and myself or gonna run a biathalon type event end of may in The big smoke of Dannevirke!!!,gille runs good shot's grunts would just love them.

R93
    Time of year dictates my trips and when I take time off. April and May are spent hunting and when I take the largest blocks of time. I will be going to 2 on 2 off and it shouldnt be an issue then unless held when I am on shift.
    I will try and make your one in May but think I will be chasing mountain goats.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    yea just puttin it out there.I was going to marshal but fuck that im gonna shoot instead.

You guys up there got no ear plugs ?

Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    You guys up there got no ear plugs ?

Just saying
    Cheer Greg, was wondering how long it was going to be before someone mentioned that - short answer - no.
    Hearing protection will however be required to be worn by all those attending the shoot on the day.

yo gillie

should like to attend havent decided if i will compete or shoot for shits n giggles either way i can be there to lend a hand wont be staying overnite at this stage but will throw in a fart sack if i decide too stay
    let me know if you require anything ?

Jonesy
    ps are you aware that the big claybird shoot on manganui road is also on that day ?
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    either way i can be there to lend a hand wont be staying overnite at this stage but will throw in a fart sack if i decide too stay
    let me know if you require anything ?
    At this stage someone there to spot and score would be great. I can supply the scoring material and a spotting scope. Anyone else whoe wants to spot/score would be appreciated as well. Chances are i can sort another spotting scope.

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    ps are you aware that the big claybird shoot on manganui road is also on that day ?
    Nope, i wasn't aware of that one. Unfortunately over the shooting season there is not many free weekends and clashes of events is common...

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Time of year dictates my trips and when I take time off.
    Chances are i am running another long range event in Rotorua in May on top of the shoot in Dannevirke. Otherwise i don't expect to have more shoots running till November/December.

I'd love to go down south to run an event - the problem is cost, its not just a tank of gas anymore. I have only come close to breaking even (cost wise) on one shoot i have run once. Doesn't stop me running them though

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    yea just puttin it out there.I was going to marshal but fuck that im gonna shoot instead.
    Don't think i'll be shooting the biathalon event - pretty certain i'll be full time running it! Looking forward to that one though. The date you proposed looks fine from my end. Can you remember if it was going to be a 20 or 40 round match?

I was reading the world champs biathalon event got something like 200,000 spectators this year!

Banned
    40 + 5 round snap shoot for top 5.We might get 20 spectators

That snap shoots is going to be a laugh... well, at least for the spectators!