Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Tarata Medium Range Precision Field Shoot (Taranaki)

Tarata Medium Range Precision Field Shoot (Taranaki)

I have a medium range shoot coming up in November. I'm going to use the next few posts on this thread to let you know what it is about.

As usual for my shoots there is limited entry places.

Take note of the practice session. If you want to come along and just shoot some steel for fun and not bother competing then i am going to have a position set up just to do that. I will have a few targets at distances from 100m out to 700m (only actually 4 seperate ranges).

For the competition targets will range from 100m to about 600m. Expect to have to employ some positional shooting and shoot under a time limit while competing. Each competitor will need to score for another competitor so take note of the bring a time keeping device and some optics to spot hits on steel targets.
    Last edited by Gillie; 24-10-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    geezejonesy and Uplandstalker like this.

General rules.

Shoot date is the 23rd of November 2013. There will be no weather cancellation. If it rains then the shoot will still continue, wet weather gear is advisable if it does rain. The shoot location is exposed and so plan to be out in the weather/wind all day.

Please contact me to confirm your entry as there are a limited number of entry spots. No entry is accepted until confirmed by myself.

Competitors are encouraged to bring their own hydration and snacks for the day. I’ll see about putting on a BBQ on the day as well.

Common sense is required by all those attending (including non-competitors). The competitors (and others) will be responsible for themselves. All competitors are required to attend the safety briefing. Any competitor who does not attend the briefing will not be allowed to shoot.

Safety is the first priority. Unsafe behaviour will not be tolerated.
    Last edited by Gillie; 24-10-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Entry information required

The following entry information will be required to be submitted prior to the date of the shoot. There are a limited number of entries so try and let me know early if you want to come so you don’t loose your spot.

Name:
    Contact / Cell Phone:
    Calibre:
    Junior or unlicensed shooter?
    If Yes, supervisor:

Entries can be PM'd to me.
    Breyt likes this.

Shoot Rifle and Equipment Rules

In general any rifle of calibre up to and including 300 Winchester Magnum shall be allowed. The competitor is advised to nominate their rifle calibre upon registration for approval. A bullet type, weight and muzzle velocity may be asked for to determine the calibre acceptance.

Each competitor will require approximately 40 rounds of ammunition to complete the competition.

Any rifle of any weight with any sight shall be allowed. Muzzle breaks and suppressors are allowed.
    No steel core, armour piecing, tracer, or incendiary ammunition is allowed.
    Any form of rest shall be allowed; this includes bipods, packs, sand bags, slings, shooting sticks, pedestal rest, tripods, etc... Any form of rear rest shall be allowed; this includes monopods, pack, sand bag, etc...
    Rifle sharing is allowed between no more than two competitors.

Any form of range determining equipment shall be allowed.
    All competitors are required to carry sufficient optical equipment to be able to reasonably discern bullet impact on steel targets out to approximately 1000m. A good pair of binoculars or a spotting scope is advisable for all competitors. All competitors are discouraged from using their rifle scope to score for another shooter.

All competitors must carry a time keeping device showing seconds e.g. stop watch, timer, wrist watch that indicates seconds as a minimum.
    The competitor will be required to carry all their own equipment throughout the day. The competitor will be required to start each shoot stage carrying all the gear they nominated to carry.

Practice Session

There will be several targets set up and able to be shot from the course start location. The targets are safe to be shot at any time while the competition is running. The intention is that competitors will not be allowed to fire at these targets until after they have competed. Other attendees are allowed to shoot at these targets throughout the day when supervised by a designated range officer.

Safety Briefing

The safety briefing will be held at 9:00am at the first shoot position. All competitors will be required to attend the safety briefing (if they don’t they may not be allowed to shoot). Attendees only there for the practice session can be briefed when they arrive (i.e. not at the main safety briefing) but will not be allowed to shoot until they have been talked to by the designated range officer.

The shoot will start immediately after the safety briefing. Each competitor will be issued their score card and a course map. It is the competitor’s responsibility to ensure their score card is filled out correctly at each stage.

After the Shoot

Once the competitor is finished the last shoot stage they will make their way back to the start position by the marked track. I will try and put on a late lunch BBQ and refreshments at the woolshed at the completion of the shoot. Scores will be collated, stories and excuses will be told, and all feedback on any aspect of the shoot will be welcomed.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You are a Marvel Gillie.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

This is Classic - I cut my teeth in Tarata growing up - Ive paddled the waitara river shooting ducks , and goats , I shot my first goat up Tarata Road when I was 6 years old with a black powder 23-20 single shot stevens . I must get back one day for a look - Hot barrels and safe shooting for your event :-)
    Roy
    Work Just Gets In The Way

Was doing some shooting over the weekend in preparation for this shoot. It is going to be awesome watching the old man compete with his Parker Hale C3 sniper rifle (complete with original 6x kahles!). We were trying 155gr Sierra palma match bullets through it in a bid to get the trajectory to line up pretty close to the old 144gr army ammunition. Worked out really good to 600yards!

Red
    Im keen to come Gillie, i wont be shooting, dont have a bolt action till early next year. but id like to pop in and say hi and watch some of the day.

Spectators are fine on the day Red. You might be asked to sit on a spotting scope to help someone out.

Just on your choice of words you don't specifically need a bolt action to play, any action type will be fine as long as it is safe and you know how to demonstrate it is safe to someone else.

Red
    Yea ill help out. Only have a Winchester 30-30 id be keen to see its/my limits. ive never shot more than a 100 mtrs with it. I wont enter it but will bring it to have a go on the practice range? will pm you my details anyway. cheers

Red
    FacePalm.. writing it on the calendar i see its daughters birthday... maybe next time Gillie, ill have something more suited to flinging lead about by then too. hope its fine for ya.

Sweetas Red, as you say next time. Somethings in life are much more inportant than slinging lead round!