Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Target pistol shooting... anyone ?

Hey hey, welcome, yeah those cowboys are a bit different. It's fun to shoot it casually though, we have a couple here who are right into it, i shoot issf and will start the service section here once ive shot it in taupo, we have a lot of sillhouette shooters, 200mt range, havnt really tried that yet, just a little with the 22.
    There's always a chance, while there's lead in the air!
    A golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.

Baz
    Hi all, nice selection of pistols on display there. I have just started shooting at the local club, just done 2 shoots, great bunch of guys. Mainly wanted to join a club with a good bunch of knowledgeable guys to help me with my long range rifle shooting etc, but after shotting a pistol for the first time, im hooked. will join and go for my B licence. will end up doing E at same time.

I am just getting into pistols, the club gun is a Bretta. What should a first time pistol owner be looking into getting?

Cheers!

Baz
    Club guns are Beretta Neos x3 and 2x 9mm Semi Automatic Baikal 446 Viking Pistols.

The Beretta Neos are easy to use for a first timer, shoot ok to. Have not shot the 9mm yet, looking forward to it tho!

Pistols?

A good pistol Baz needs to be reliable and comfortable.

If your pistol jams or miss feeds on the range/cof when you are laying sideways, shooting thru a awkward port etc or is ammo fussy then it becomes frustrating for you but great for the other competitors.
    I have yet to have one single stoppage with my pistol and when on an IPSC COF I regulary encounter my mates with more expensive and tighter tollerance pistols having to clear stoppages, remove mags, etc due to ammo variances etc.

If you are shooting ISSF then accuracy is a must, Service Match then reliability and being comfortable in both hands etc and ergonomics are great, same as with IPSC. As I shoot IPSC and Service my two main needs are reliability and ergonomics.

Have a think on what type of match you wish to shoot the most and have a chat to the guys shooting that style, they will give you heaps of thoughts. ISSF will have vastly different needs to IPSC and Service will have vastly different needs to Metallic Silhouette. They all are fun to shoot.

Cheers.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Good advice there from littledog, best thing to do is during the time it takes to get your B cat, it took me 11 months, try as many different guns as you can, our club have ruger mk3 club guns, really nice to shoot, i find the grip a little thin, but apparently, they are mongrels to strip for cleaning, i bought a Walther GSP, google it, ugly as sin, old as the hills, 1971, .22, i tried in Taupo, and bought it on the spot, paid $250 for it, stole it! sometimes you find a deal eh! I'll never sell that gun, it has never miss fired or miss fed, like i said, its ugly, buts deadly accurate! I also own a S&W 22a, had loads of trouble with it misfiring, got that sorted now, after talking to some really nice guys in the clubs, 100% now, and again, quite cheap, $400 second hand. Whatever section you think youll shoot, get a decent 22, they are fun to shoot, cheap as chips to feed, and provide loads of fun. I have a 9mm and a 357 revolver, I am going to shoot service as well, i like the precision shooting as opposed to the speed shooting, even though it is a timed event, you still have to score the bulls! Like i said, try as many guns as you can, not sure where you are but everyone that comes to our club gets to shoot lots of different stuff, awesome guys, very generous and very helpfull, something ive found to be common now in Rotorua and taupo as well, and im sure right around NZ, good luck, enjoy, have fun!
    There's always a chance, while there's lead in the air!
    A golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.

Hey Baz, 9mm is just the start. After that will be 45 ACP, 44 Mag etc. Im sure offers will come to try out all the other guys toys. Does anyone else see the humour in joining a pistol club to help with long range rifle shooting?

Baz
    [QUOTE=compound;6989]Hey Baz, 9mm is just the start. After that will be 45 ACP, 44 Mag etc. Im sure offers will come to try out all the other guys toys. Does anyone else see the humour in joining a pistol club to help with long range rifle shooting?[/QUOTE]

Yeah ok, but last time I checked I used the same finger to practice trigger controll on the pistol so when im back on the longrange rifle i'm twice as good. Also there is alot of knowledge to be found with a good bunch of guys that like pistols, rifles, reloading, hunting and shotguns etc.

And who dosent like shooting, what ever form it takes???

Very true. I should try to get to the range more often. Might see you down there one day.

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!