Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: TECT all terain park rifle range

TECT all terain park rifle range

Does anyone know what the go is with this place. Price etc and how to gain access????
    I am a member of BOP NZDA so do i just rock on up or what's the deal.

Might be my second choice for sighting in the rifle today.

As always, cheers in advance.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Pop up on a public range day on a Sunday, pay your $15 and you're good to go after a basic induction.

To get the range key, you need to purchase a range ticket and then get three inductions signed off on public range Sundays. You then pay for your key and you can go up midweek or any time you like. I found to go that way suits me as I'm often unable to attend on Sundays...
    What he said ^^^

If you are a BOP NZDA member its worth getting the 3 inductions done and gettig your own range key. Annual range fee is $50 and you pay a one off amount of $20 for a range key once you are certified.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Thanks for the replies Mauser and Bryan. Seems a little pricey for getting access to a range. Granted a heft of money has been thrown at it however $45.00 for range inductions then the range key and the range ticket and ongoing yearly subs! Also why the need for 3? Surely a RO would be able to see you either are safe and follow standing orders or you don't. can't see why you would need 3 times other than to gather revenue.

Will keep it in the back of my mind but for the little extra distance will stick with Rotorua.
    Waikato and by that i mean Hamilton, could really do with a range.

Willie, if I had the chance at a dedicated range anytime, such as TECT, I would jump at the opportunity, shit 3 inductions and a little bit of money is cheap! And having said that I presently have access to several properties to sight in my rifles, one all set up with a bench. And I can fully understand the 3 inductions, they just have to be sure they want you on their range. Sounds like it an excellent asset to the community, with a very reasonable protocol to ensure our shooting sport stays safe, big ups to those responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Thanks for the replies Mauser and Bryan. Seems a little pricey for getting access to a range. Granted a heft of money has been thrown at it however $45.00 for range inductions then the range key and the range ticket and ongoing yearly subs! Also why the need for 3? Surely a RO would be able to see you either are safe and follow standing orders or you don't. can't see why you would need 3 times other than to gather revenue.

Will keep it in the back of my mind but for the little extra distance will stick with Rotorua.
    Waikato and by that i mean Hamilton, could really do with a range.
    Actually, the price is dirt cheap. If it was a commercial venture you would be paying more than 10 times that - like golf club fees or squash clubs feez etc. Or, buy your own bit of land for several hundred grand, go through resource consent process for thousands more, and then pay annual,rates of $4000 - $5000 PER YEAR , maybe more??

Makes $100 - $160 per year for subs and 300m range access look pretty cheap aye !

Safety issues are a major concern with any rifle range. Alot of the shooters that turn up NEED more than one vist before they really get the gist of what the protocols are. Some of the shit we see on the public range days when on R/O duty can be pretty scary. And yes, sometimes it is 'experienced' firearm license holders at fault too, not just the newbies. That is why there are strict rules that must be followed, otherwise 1 incident could shut the whole place down, especially seeing it is council leased land, not privately owned.

Yes, you could say i have had a 'little bit' to do with setting this facility up, so am intimately aware of the issues faced. Cheers.
    Last edited by dfmaisey; 18-01-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    Bushrash, Barefoot, mikee and 4 others like this.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

res
    Seems very cheep and very fair conditions to me
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post
    Actually, the price is dirt cheap. If it was a commercial venture you would be paying more than 10 times that - like golf club fees or squash clubs feez etc. Or, buy your own bit of land for several hundred grand, go through resource consent process for thousands more, and then pay annual,rates of $4000 - $5000 PER YEAR , maybe more??

Makes $100 - $160 per year for subs and 300m range access look pretty cheap aye !

Safety issues are a major concern with any rifle range. Alot of the shooters that turn up NEED more than one vist before they really get the gist of what the protocols are. Some of the shit we see on the public range days when on R/O duty can be pretty scary. And yes, sometimes it is 'experienced' firearm license holders at fault too, not just the newbies. That is why there are strict rules that must be followed, otherwise 1 incident could shut the whole place down, especially seeing it is council leased land, not privately owned.

Yes, you could say i have had a 'little bit' to do with setting this facility up, so am intimately aware of the issues faced. Cheers.
    Yep thats the truth, cheap cheap cheap
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I could see it if i was reloading and throwing all sorts of lead down it, for me i just don't shoot enough to warrant it.
    Also then must be pretty spoiled with Rotorua range, much cheapness there!

That scares me! 3 times to get it right, oh dear oh dear! Makes me wonder how they got their license, lets be honest it aint bloody rocket science

Try Taupo no bullshit, arrive invest $2:00 in the honesty box, introduce yourself to any fellow shooters, wait your turn to go forward, agree with the other guys, I visually check their weapons, for my own peace of mind, all go forward the back and check with others before recommending shooting, met some real good guys down there already, it ain't rocket science, as you say
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Of course if @Woody is there I wait till he goes home! That guy can shoot!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I could see it if i was reloading and throwing all sorts of lead down it, for me i just don't shoot enough to warrant it.
    Also then must be pretty spoiled with Rotorua range, much cheapness there!
    Agree with you Willie. I was a member, and helped on a couple of weekends shovelling dirt and cutting up empty barrels, and for the number of times I would use the place, it seemed expensive. I thought that as a member of NZDA, we should have been able to have more options available to us - say a smaller fee for a set number of days per year. The current setup is awesome for those who are into it big time, but us casual hunters - not so much!
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    Agree with you Willie. I was a member, and helped on a couple of weekends shovelling dirt and cutting up empty barrels, and for the number of times I would use the place, it seemed expensive. I thought that as a member of NZDA, we should have been able to have more options available to us - say a smaller fee for a set number of days per year. The current setup is awesome for those who are into it big time, but us casual hunters - not so much!
    Lentil you should get in touch with Rotorua NZDA and go for a range key from there. Much more cost effective and pretty damn good bunch out there. Also not far from Papamoa. If you need access and i am heading that way will give you a shout and come on out if you haven't already set it up

T
    Quote Originally Posted by dfmaisey View Post

So do the funds received go to the NZDA, the Council or do you just cover costs? Just asking, not really any bone to pick, I'm in Taupo all the time and enjoy shooting there, the safety down there seems to be OK, mainly because you have to talk to each other to use the range.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yep. Open communication with other shooters / range users is what works. A visit to the Taupo NZDA range often as not results in a social occasion and yarn session, shooters helping each other out with advice, tips or just general discussion. Often a local branch members will turn up to just have a looksee or empty the rubbish bins etc. Most persons are polite and listen and comply with any behaviour hints given by local users /members.

There is even tolerance of guys like Maca49 and their vintage guns. I have seen people happily accommodated with everything from bows and arrows, black powder muskets , hunting rimfires. centrefires, AR types and casual police / Army practices and sharing the facility well.

Our biggest problem are the few dirty bastards who shoot cans and fruit and leave their mess out on the range instead of picking it up, along with old target papers and placing it in the bins provided. One other bunch of f-wits used some tracers last year and started a bloody fire which required a fire brigade callout. Any users seeing wankers like these abusers please report them and their rego's to NZDA committee or police.

We're more or less "civilised in Taupo
    mikee likes this.