Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Robojaz

Thread: Tikka T3 Super Varmit SS in 308 opinions ?

Tikka T3 Super Varmit SS in 308 opinions ?

Hey Guys ,

Just looking for some feedback regarding the above rifle , i am about to drop the cash to secure myself one .

Going to be used to do general hunting , and target shooting between 200m-600m , In the long term ill get myself a lever gun in either 30-30 or 44 mag for short range hunting

I am familiar with the .308 cartridge , and intend hand loading for her more than likely in a 165-168 Gr , ill work up a proper load her her .

Going to need some decent glass as well , but ill have to save up for either a Nightforce , or Vortex .

Anything i should consider before pulling the trigger on this buy?

Just check the rifle weight if you are intending taking this hunting, as you will have to lug it around. Not the lightest of the Tikka offerings by a long way.

I agree that for a hunting rifle it's will be pretty heavy, I have a Tikka lite in 260 and 223 and am surprised at how well they shoot and how they don't seem to wander as the barrel heats up.

Any reason you want to stick with 308?
    It's a fine round and will work for the hunting and targets, but I'd be inclined to go for a 260 or 6.5x55. Will have better ballistics and less recoil, only advantage 308 has is if you are buying factory ammo.

GWH
    Yeah pretty heavy to lug about, why not just standard T3?

you'll take it hunting once . . . i carry a heavy barrel varmint rifle around the paddocks n hills and thats enough for me, going bush is not an option.

.30/30 is one of my favourite cartridges . . . surprisingly accurate in a good rifle with mild recoil and plenty of power to do the business at most huntiing ranges, a handloaders dream etc etc

good luck . . R
    Last edited by rossi.45; 20-12-2016 at 11:03 AM.

thanks for the feedback guys ,

i recon ill manage the weight , had a full bull barrel rifle already that i hunted with extensively , and i lugged it all over the bush .

with regards to caliber , i didn't go with the 6,5 x 55 solely for the unreliability in supply of a variety of different weights . i am of the opinion that the 308 is a far more readily available caliber , with a good variety in weights and types of bullets from various manufactures. i do know that the 6.5 x 55 has a far more superior SD and BC than the .308 .

i am also under the impression that the .260 caliber is a bit of a barrel burner , please correct me if i am wrong ?

260 is not considered a barrel burner. Won't have 5000+ round life like 308, but is a lot better than the likes of 6.5-284, should get 2500-3000.

If you plan to use factory ammo, you best choice is definitely 308, but if you plan to reload everything then both 6.5x55 and 260 have readily available components. You can actually get Normal training ammo for the 6.5x55, it's not loaded very hot, but it's pretty reasonably priced and gets good reviews accuracy wise.

I've never bought factory ammo for my 260, and hope I never have to $$$$$$$

you hunted with a full bull barrelled rifle . .. more than once . . crikey.

i would definitely get a Nightforce, 3-15 NXS should be the go

good luck . . R.

Iv had a new T3 SS Light 308,20inch barrel, about 2 months.Ok to carry around with a Burris eliminator III 3x12 on top.Iv put a few pkts of ammo thru it at the range to tune,run it in. shoots moa to 600yds,sub moa at a 100yds to 200yds.With a lighter scope youd hardly know its on yr shoulder.Use only Hornady 165gr SSTs,nice shooter for the $$$
    Last edited by Trout; 20-12-2016 at 09:30 PM.

I have a supervarmint in 7mm Rem Mag. And yes with the Nightforce scope it is a heavy rifle. But if you don't mind the weight it is a nice rifle to use. Very accurate. Have you thought of going to a more longer range cartridge, particularly if you intend to get a lever gun for the bush?

Name:  IMG_1188.JPG
Views: 635
Size:  722.2 KB
    Steve123, Milan501 and rossi.45 like this.