Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why do people frown at using military rifles for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Why do people find it so hard to keep their fingers off the trigger? I use the safety, keep my finger off the trigger & keep control of muzzle direction. I guess 20 years of pistol shooting has instilled those things in me but really it isn't hard. More than once I've tripped & taken a tumble while running in an IPSC stage & kept everything safe, recovered & carried on. Whether I'm shooting targets or live things it dosn't matter, same rules apply.

Exactly

Personally I think you should just make your first shot count, be it from a semi, bolt of bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Personally I think you should just make your first shot count, be it from a semi, bolt of bow.
    The first one is the only one that counts, all the rest are just lead in the air...and hope.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post

Agree, but what does that have to do with people having terrible safety habits?

Semi for mobs of goats and so forth!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Why do people find it so hard to keep their fingers off the trigger? I use the safety, keep my finger off the trigger & keep control of muzzle direction. I guess 20 years of pistol shooting has instilled those things in me but really it isn't hard. More than once I've tripped & taken a tumble while running in an IPSC stage & kept everything safe, recovered & carried on. Whether I'm shooting targets or live things it dosn't matter, same rules apply.
    Well sad Spiker, the no1 safety (in my opinion) is the brain holding the firearm, followed by the finger off the trigger and safe muzzle direction, followed by the manufactures safety applied. If the brain holding the gun is not engaged then trouble is likely. Have experinced that personally with a very near miss by a disengaged brain pointing a firearm around and then pressing the trigger. Sends shivers down my spine these days thinking about it.

I like both semi's and bolt rifles and dont think it matters what one hunts with as long as the right calibre for the game is chosen and safety is followed. Ive seen some nuts with both semi,s and bolties. Personal choice and personal responsibility.

Cheers.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Opps meant "Well said Spiker"......

Cheers.

Thinking about the actual title of the thread "Why do people frown at using military rifles for hunting?"

I think a lot of it maybe because of the way they are portrayed in the movies IE 60 odd rounds being sprayed down range and nothing falling over, unless its something that wasn't aimed at.
    Certainly wouldn't help especially with the old school .
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'm going to take an un-sporterised Jungle Carbine hunting.

There is something about the no5 that just say's "YES"! I have seen a few still being used for hunting in Aussie.

Cheers.

Last time I went for a hunt in the Omaru a mate of a mate came along with a No.5 in mostly stock condition except for having a scope mounted. I'm kind of glad he didn't attempt to fire it. The chamber and barrel were clogged with rust and half the ammo he had was old CAC FMJ rounds which were becoming badly corroded. I frown at using military rifles in possibly dangerous condition for hunting. I'll have to take my 91/30 for a walk one day though. Still to bag a deer with the Rock River too.

Stock condition?

What a shame, ive seen some very nice no5's around and the owners had kept them in very good condition. That one you mention Beavis sounds scarry. Hopefully the ammo wouldn't fire or the owner may have been in a sore state.
    Good little handy rifles still used in many parts of the world-Aussie hunters use em and the Canadian Rangers still have them issued.

The no5 would be a nice handy little wild boar gun. Bit of a kick to it. But would be a military rifle that fits a shorter range, brush hunting role nicely. with its short statue an ruggedness.

Cheers.

Ive a few No5's and trust me all (bar one) are an absolute hoot to shoot, great scrub rifle. I even went wallaby shooting with an 1867 .577 Snider Enfield once, but thats a story for another day!

I often hunt with semi auto mil rifles, depending on the type of hunting im doing and love the rugged dependability of the rifles. I am just always mindful its not the rifle, but the nut behind the butt that is 99.9% of the issue. I mean if someone turns up with a firearm as Beavis discribes in that state, then regardless of the type of rifle, new or old, bolt, semi, single shot or what ever, then to me they are a liability. If they are not able to ensure its in an operational state! how can they be trusted to ensure its in a safe state when it should be. I must also agree Vietnamcam, its a perception thing.

But that folks is were we all come in to play, we have to educate people, set good safe standards , practices and change peoples perceptions!

well thats my perception!

I understand this is a gun nerds forum so I'm going to get picked on but I'd still look at you funny if you walked into a hut one evening and put an AR in the gun rack

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I understand this is a gun nerds forum so I'm going to get picked on but I'd still look at you funny if you walked into a hut one evening and put an AR in the gun rack
    That says more about the person looking than the person carrying the firearm. The guy with the bow might look at your bolt action and you funny too.

I agree Makros, but perceptions can be hard to change. You may say it reflects on me, and I'm sure it does, but I bet my sentiments are echoed by many others too. Dare I say it, the vast majority of hunters.
    I'm sure if you all went out tomorrow with MSSAs hunting deer, and it became a common sight and therefore accepted I wouldn't look sideways. However, unless you just fell off a WARO chopper and are in need of help, you would look a little silly. At the end of the day stereotypes are hard to destroy
    10/22 likes this.