Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Gidday from Wellington

Gidday from Wellington

Hey there guys,

I've just moved to Wellington and am wanting to find some new mates for hunting around the place! I've had experience shooting mainly bunnies in South Canterbury so could use some hints and tips from you more experienced guys. I figured this is the place to be.

It's been a while since I've ever posted on a forum. It should be fun to get back into it.

A little about me - I'm Canadian born and moved to NZ when I was 10, back in 2000. I'm the last of my family left here in NZ apart from an older brother who still lives in Chch. He is ex-NZ Army but isn't very into tramping or hunting. I now am working for the Army here in Wellington as a reserve after an injury put me out of a full time soldier role in April. I've got plenty of Army mates down south but I'm not quite so established here in Wellies. I'd appreciate any recommendations of places to start and people to meet.

Cheers,
    Dougie

Hi there welcome try going to this if you can make it.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...835/#post21712

R93
    Welcome Dougie. I am an ex-pat Canuck as well, been here since 79-80. Still a long suffering Leaf fan as well. Also spent a long time here in the green machine as a grunt.
    I hope you enjoy the forum. Great bunch of members here from all walks of life.

Thanks R93! '79 eh... I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye! I grew up in NB until I moved to Chch. All my family now lives in the TGA or Windsor though. Parents split but both ended up back there! (Both sets of grandparents and the rest of the whanau are there). Where abouts are you from?

Were you in around any time of action? There was a bit of a dry spell back in the early 90s huh but surely you've got some sweet tales from RNZIR!

Cheers for the welcome. And thanks Falcon, not sure if I can make the trip up to Palmy then but we'll see how we go.

R93
    I played the odd game of pee wee hockey in Windsor Ontario mate! At least your not a Noofy eh?
    I was from Welland then moved to Niagara falls. I served from 84-2001 in NZ. Had an awesome time. Still miss it sometimes especially the months of free ammo and shooting comps.
    My old man is Kiwi and played rugby for the Niagara Wasps there. He got homesick and we ended up back here. Still have my Canadian
    passport eh.
    Last edited by R93; 22-06-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome aboard Dougie. I am sure you will find someone that will show you around but the moose a fairly scarce in that area and even in the Wairarapa they are hard to find.

Hi Dougie, Welcome to the forums and enjoy

Ah awesome. This bunch looks great already! I was once on an NZ forum and when I went back home for my Dad's wedding, I met up with one of the old Canadian dudes on the forum at Vancouver Airport! It was great to have someone help me out seeing as there was so much construction going on there at that time and I was young and travelling on my own. (FYI a cop from Canterbury had previously visited this guy )

R93 I'm a truckie - why walk when you can drive? Grunt with a licence...

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post

R93 I'm a truckie - why walk when you can drive? Grunt with a licence...
    Because we make a less conspicuous target

More danger pay for me!

Also, slightly off topic, but if you haven't already, go read Generation Kill by Evan Wright. Amazing book eh, I fell in love with those guys. You really feel like they are your brothers. Alternatively if you wish, watch the series. (Doing both is better though! Reading first of course.)

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Also, slightly off topic, but if you haven't already, go read Generation Kill by Evan Wright. Amazing book eh, I fell in love with those guys. You really feel like they are your brothers. Alternatively if you wish, watch the series. (Doing both is better though! Reading first of course.)
    Not a bad series alright. They are a different breed all together from the us as far a soldiering goes though. All geared up and money is no object.

I hear the yanks just toss away spent mags!

R93
    Yup! and weapons on some occasions.

Totally crazy eh. Gen Kill is a better book than it is mini series but still there was so much stuff that was exactly real like it happened. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Back to the hunting stuff - is there anyone else here in Wellington that you know of R93? I see that the Rimutakas might be a good place for some goat hunting. I'm not really into it for the pigs (I seriously couldn't stab something to death unless it was trying to kill me!) but apparently it's a good spot for pigs, goats and some reds.

I've had plenty of practice with my bestie's 10 .22 but would that be suitable for goats? It sure drops the bunnies but would it do the trick for small game?