Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: From Hawkes Bay

Hallo and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by relentless View Post
    Thanks Pete, have just been round at my mates looking at his setup and things. He has written out a list for me. I know sometimes it's cheaper buying a pack but he said alot of it you won't use and things you need extra so maybe worth buying things separately. So far i've got - Redding Big Boss Press / Redding Case Trimmer / Powder Thrower (not sure what one yet) / Electric Scales (not sure which ones yet) / Case lube pad / Primer pad / de-burring tools / Tumbler / Digital Calipers / Dilion or Redding Power trickler / Bullet trays / is there any suggestions on any of these?
    Personally i would forget the powder thrower. I have a lee one and its shit. Also if you are going to buy electronic scales get the best you can afford. I brought Hornady ones and the are also shit. Have gone back to using balance ones until i can afford a quality set of electronic. That is my advice on my limited experience.

Hi thanks POME, will keep this in mind.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by relentless View Post
    Thanks Pete, have just been round at my mates looking at his setup and things. He has written out a list for me. I know sometimes it's cheaper buying a pack but he said alot of it you won't use and things you need extra so maybe worth buying things separately. So far i've got - Redding Big Boss Press / Redding Case Trimmer / Powder Thrower (not sure what one yet) / Electric Scales (not sure which ones yet) / Case lube pad / Primer pad / de-burring tools / Tumbler / Digital Calipers / Dilion or Redding Power trickler / Bullet trays / is there any suggestions on any of these?
    All looks good.

I prefer a balance scale to digital scales ....... Kinda old school but it works for me.

My powder trickler is a Red K fried Spoon, I have several Redding and Hornady tricklers which work great but I just find the plastic spoon way quicker and just as accurate.

I use a powder thrower for my hunting ammo and for long runs but for target ammo and shorter runs I just use the spoon.

One thing you will need that's not on the list is a good Reloading Manual.

What calibre are you going to load for?

Cheers
    Pete

I highly recommend a Lyman or chargemaster auto powder dispenser. So so much faster than trickleing up to weight on balance beams or electronic scales.

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk
    kiwijames, 338 and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by POME View Post
    ....Also if you are going to buy electronic scales get the best you can afford. I brought Hornady ones and the are also shit. Have gone back to using balance ones until i can afford a quality set of electronic. That is my advice on my limited experience.
    Big +1 on that.
    Stick with a quality balance beam until you can afford a magnetic force restoration scale like the A&D FX120, preferably with a Dandy tricker. They're made for each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KSpB8sW7iM

You set your thrower to say 0.3gr under target and with minimal practice, you're def as fast as a dispenser system. I'd guess I average less than 3secs trickling each charge to spot on. The big thing is you know your scale won't be drifting. Electronic scales are the classic example of "Buy once, cry once"
    Last edited by 6x47; 11-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.