Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Hi from the newbie in Napier

Hi from the newbie in Napier

Hi all

Been great reading all your posts. I am looking for some good spots for goat hunting in and around Hawkes Bay.

Regards

Nathan
    petronious_arbiter likes this.

GWH
    Welcome Nathan. It's a great forum with a bunch of good buggers, tell us a bit more about yourself.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome. You are close to a shit load of goats already.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hi all

Been a local for years. Spent many years on ranges shooting as a kid but resently inherited the old man's rifles and I am getting back into it. Haven't done much hunting and very keen to hunt goats to start. The old man gave me a BRNO 581 22long semi and a 1908 BSA SMLE 303. I have just ordered a Rossi wizzard in 243 and expect that to be my go to gun for a while yet. Might look at some larger cal barels for the Rossi in the future but the 243 seemed like a good place to start.
    I teach at a local high school and enjoy the outdoors.
    veitnamcam likes this.

P38
    G'day @Rossiwiz

Welcome to the best hunting and shooting forum on the planet.

Once you've chased a goat or two you might start to look to the west.........

There's plenty of good hunting in the Kaweka and the Ruahine

You might even want to consider checking out the Napier Deerstalkers Assosiation.

We're having our club meeting tomorrow night a 7:30pm Thorne Street Onekawa.
    You'd be most welcome to come along and check us out.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Caretaker
    Welcome Rossiwiz,

P38 is absolutely right, there is a lot of prime hunting to your west.

Send me a private message with your contact details pronto and I can take you out for a Sika hunt after lunch today, can show you a few places and get you behind one of our rifles for a shot or two.

P38, veitnamcam, GWH and 3 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Welcome Rossiwiz,

P38 is absolutely right, there is a lot of prime hunting to your west.

Send me a private message with your contact details pronto and I can take you out for a Sika hunt after lunch today, can show you a few places and get you behind one of our rifles for a shot or two.

Good on ya @7mmsaum

There's no bloody doubt about it.

You are one of life's a Bloody Good Bastards.

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Welcome Rossiwiz enjoy the forum, there are many good buggers here.

Caretaker

Hi from the newbie in Napier

Met Rossiwiz at 5pm and headed for the Kawekas as planned, a nice drive in perfect weather and the views improved the higher we drove.

On the way I pointed out the easy access points and carparks for the flatter walks with Sika possies for his (0-300yrd) 303, it wears a neat little 4-32 Pecar with perfect leather lens protectors on top making it quite a special machine.

On we drove, past the easy spots until arriving where a "steeper" learning curve is needed.

A brief safety chat on unloaded/loaded rifles and safe muzzle direction at all times and we were off.

Covering ground quietly up through the Beech forest we got into position without disturbing the area and settled in for the long haul.

It wasn't long before a fat Sika hind fed into view, bright orange she cautiously navigated the steep face, a little fawn nervously followed, it looked around and followed mum back into cover.

Perseverance on the binos rarely disappoints and slowly scanning down a long scrub face I found a young stag out enjoying the evening, motionless he scoured his surroundings, trying to pull in info through all his senses, even when young they are smart, -nervous, cautious and smart !!

Ranged at 322yrds, zero angle, 26 deg Celsius, 29inhg

The 303 untried at this yardage meant he dropped as an amax from the Rem mag covered the distance.

Down we climbed and upon making a mental image of the other side we descended into the beech below.

Across the other side we climbed steeply, we found where a Kaka had been tearing at a tree looking for its dinner

Once at the right height we sidled to our target area.

Arriving at a lovely animal in great condition we had the usual good natured banter and prepped it for the carry.

Rossiwiz and Sika

The descent through the beech was good in failing light and provided the other half of the "steep" learning curve which lasted until back at the ute where we reflected on how lucky we are and what a neat place we live in.

All in all a great afternoon, thanks Rossiwiz for your company and the laughs, hope we can do it again.

Andrew
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 30-01-2017 at 01:12 AM.
    veitnamcam, wsm junkie and screamO like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Bloody good on ya Andrew. Your generosity with your time will be much appreciated by our new member I am sure.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Caretaker
    Hes a good fella Rushy and will enjoy his hunting I'm sure !
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 30-01-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Welcome aboard

There are few bloody good blokes like the two chaps that took the greenhorn hunting, had a ball chaps and look forward to many more trips up into this beautiful countryside.

Regards and thanks again, Nathan
    P38, Shootm and ROKTOY like this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossiwiz View Post
    There are few bloody good blokes like the two chaps that took the greenhorn hunting, had a ball chaps and look forward to many more trips up into this beautiful countryside.

Regards and thanks again, Nathan
    No problem, hope we haven't ruined your Goat hunting aspirations

And your Venison is ready from this stag, send me a pm or txt and you can pick it up.
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 01-02-2017 at 01:25 PM.
    P38, GWH and Rossiwiz like this.

So I have been asked to add my 10c worth to the story of 7mmsaum taking a newbe on his first Sika hunt.

We left town a little after five and took a leisurely drive up into the hills. 7mmsaum, being the bloody good bloke he is, took time to point out each entry to good hunting spots while discussing ammo, rifles, scopes and who knows what else. I think at one time we even made a mention of our wives, but that may have just been my imagination.
    On arrival at the carpark, 7mmsaum was quick to talk safety. Having learnt all my shooting on ranges, it was old hat but great to hear it being used in the wild. Checking each others rifles is a habit that will ensure we all get home with a great story, it takes but a moment and costs nothing.
    I was surprised at the quality of the track to the hunting spot and was thinking this was looking like a bit of a gentleman's sport. Yup, I can do this I thought as the two evil buggers took a sharp right up a bush covered hillside. Having just, the week before, walked the Tongariro crossing, I thought I would be able to crush a little walk up the hill. Oh man was I wrong! Panting and puffing I must have scared off every bit of game in a ¼ mile. After what felt like a long time, probably only three, not four, heart attacks, we reached a clearing and settled in to wait for nature to return to her balance. It was a perfect time with a light wind blowing and 7mmsaum sharing little tidbits of helpful information as we scanned the opposite hillside.
    Time cleared the evidence of our (my) noise and we spotted a Hind and her young. The decision was made to leave these two for another day. Suddenly there was tension in the air as a young stag was spotted in a clearing some 323yards away. The young chap had seen us and what played out next was a waiting game. Our stag was almost head on, presenting a less than perfect target. That is not to say impossible, but waiting paid dividends as our young man eventually turned to the side and the shot was taken. Watching through the binoculars, I saw the shot hit and I could tell even before the animal dropped it was a very good kill.
    The next stage was the trek down the hill and back up the other side to retrieve the stag. I have some beautiful scars on my legs from the bush bashing we did to get our boy back down. I tried to remind my wife that chicks dig scars, but all I got was a look of whatever. By the time we (note I did none of this but saying we makes it sound so much more like a team!) butchered the stag it was getting a touch dark. The walk back to the ute was pleasant, I wasn't carrying the stag, and it was another good time to hear of past hunts and learn some important bush skills.
    I had a truely great time with the boys and I can not thank 7mmsaum and his mate Ross enough for the experience. Our country needs more buggers like them period. Young men need to get back out in the bush and learn some skills. Perhaps if they did our country would be in less of a hole. Thanks again boys, I look forward to the Venison and any other trip you want me to pretend to be the dog on.
    P38, Shootm, GWH and 4 others like this.