Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hows it going?

Hows it going?

Hi Guys and Girls

My name Shaun, Im 30 and live in Cambridge. I've got a wife and 3 daughters....
    I'm pretty new to this hunting thing, I grew up in town and lived a towny life. I always enjoyed watched hunting shows on tv and the past few years have really found and interest where i would buy magazines and read books on hunting. I've done the odd bit of possum and rabbit shooting 1 season of duck shooting and plenty of clay bird social afternoons in the past.

My father in-law was a keen hunter in his midlife but had really let himself go physically and stopped altogether. He was struck with Pancreatic Cancer nearly 3 years ago, with having my family go through these battles and know that you get a new lease on life once you're out the other side of a Cancer battle. I told him I wanted him to teach me and take me out.
    I went about getting my firearms licence and he had his 14 hour surgery, done his chemo and was given the all clear. Never cure'd but his cell counts where well bellow normal.
    With loosing 20+kg in his battle he was able to eat properly and be more active.
    We planned his first outing for Easter this year and hit Tongariro Forestry for the Roar. My 1st Roar, and my 1st time getting out into the bush for more than a day walk. We spent 3 nights out there and I loved it. Had an amazing adventure and although its no trophy i managed to shot my 1st stag a young 6 pointer, But well worth the trip and has put plenty of food on the table for the extended family as well.

Thats a bit of a run down on me. I thought I'd join the forums to;
    A. Gain more knowledge and hear from peoples experiences
    B. Learn more about Firearms, gps, and all the extras.
    C. Find some bargains that dont incur tardme taxes....

Cheers

Welcome Projects, cracker intro and soak it up man.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Good sh*t man. Get amongst it. Pretty good group of chaps that hang out here. Some know a bit about hunting, the rest of us make it up and sound good
    veitnamcam and kiwijames like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks for the welcome guys.
    One thing i have picked up on in my short time is that hunters a genuine good blokes who arent afraid to share a yarn or 2, look forward to hearing plenty of them on here. I also found out that you guys are tough as nails and i have a lot to do to catch up, hopefully all in good time. I played a bit of rugby in my time and although its been awhile I dont think ive let myself go too much. But it was a real eye opener for me carrying my kill back to the bike, I cannot think of any other way to train for those hard slogs with an animal on your back apart from getting out there and doing it.
    veitnamcam and WallyR like this.

Well done mate, better late than never, i took up hunting at 55, so glad i didnt miss out......good luck and be safe.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Welcome, yeah nice intro. keep it up.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Great intro Projects. Welcome aboard....

Hey @Projects welcome mate you will learn a lot of useful stuff from the guys on here

Thanks again for the welcomes.
    Had a browse through the site and wow there's a lot of good reads on here. I can see myself loosing a lot of "work" time reading through some threads.
    Scouser likes this.

Great intro there, im sure the trip out did your father in law more good than the doctors. This forum is full of good bastards, why not hook your FIL up as well youll both enjoy it.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome fellah. JoshC was being modest by the way.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome and get out there and enjoy the sport, you never know what's around the corner.
    Pointer and tiroatedson like this.

Welcome to the forum....there is a few of them out there but this one strikes the right balance of knowledge sharing and piss taking IMO.

Congrats on the Stag.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks guys. Sure does seem like a good bunch of guys here, glad its not too serious though and there's a good bit of banter.
    I do like that on the birthday list for today there was a bunch of 40's and 50's year olds. Give me confidence there's a wealth of knowledge and experience in here mixed with a fair bit of Bull Shit as well im guessing....

My father inlaw wouldnt know how to sign up for something like this let alone know how it works. He knows how to use trademe, ebay and search the weather and swell reports. He sure did enjoy getting back into the bush. Family friend came in with us as well, 80 year old man. We stayed in the Ten Man hut which this old guy built with his mates back in the the early 80's. So heard some really good yarns from him while being in there.

I borrowed my mates rifle which is a Savage Axis 7mm08. Shot straight and done the job so i cant complain (90m standing shot no rest, 3rd time pulling the trigger on a high powered caliber). But I'm going to be seeking some advice on getting my own soon, obviously im fond of the 7mm08 round now that it done me well. Is this a bad round to stick with?

Are savages bad? there's a Weather Warrior I've been keeping an eye on the past week.
    ROKTOY likes this.

Now you gone done it 7-08 and Savage axis in one post
    Forgotmaboltagain+1