Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Well, I thought I'd better introduce myself. I'm a full time student at the University of Otago and work part-time in a sporting goods store down here, which is the ideal job for me right now. One day I'd like to participate in all the shooting sports (or as many as humanly possible, always wanted to do three-gun, CAS etc), I have tried my hand at pistol shooting, small bore rifle shooting and was in the highschool trapshooting team, but for now I've limited myself to long range metallic silhouette (Gunslinger shoots are great fun) and service rifle competitions (member of the local Bruce Rifle Club). I don't hunt as much as I'd like to but hopefully I can change that. If a group of members on here are ever planning a rabbit/goat shooting trip to say Central Otago, I could be very keen to tag along.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum. Enjoy.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Welcome Tommygun
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Welcome

Welcome aboard mate....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

sturg4
    Like the name. Like the gun. Ever used one?

We captured a few off the Viet Cong as we did most military weapons. But I think as a weapon for Jungle Fighting there were little better in their day.

But I digress .. Welcome to the Forum 'tommygun'.

My name's Tom and at some point a friend decided it'd be a good nickname. No, I've handled one but haven't fired one, probably my favorite SMG from the second world war, maybe a tie with the PPSH-41, I'd love to collect that sort of thing, but funds are limited at this point. If I recall correctly, the Thompson was still being used by the Americans early on in Vietnam, anyway, thanks for your service.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Like the name. Like the gun. Ever used one?
    No but I have had a blat on a Stirling sub (as I am sure so too have you) and thought it to be a complete piece of crap.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    No but I have had a blat on a Stirling sub (as I am sure so too have you) and thought it to be a complete piece of crap.
    I have the same feelings as you about the Stirling Rushy. The Tommy was a quality gun. Biggest complaint about them was the cost of manufacturing the Tommygun. The 45 cal slug was a lot more use in the jungle than the nine mill.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    My name's Tom and at some point a friend decided it'd be a good nickname. No, I've handled one but haven't fired one, probably my favorite SMG from the second world war, maybe a tie with the PPSH-41, I'd love to collect that sort of thing, but funds are limited at this point. If I recall correctly, the Thompson was still being used by the Americans early on in Vietnam, anyway, thanks for your service.
    Hi there TOM, I will see if I can put up a picture taken of a bunch of weapons from the era.

The Tommyguns we captured were older stuff. They were probably supplied by the Americans to the Resistance who were fighting the Japanese in Siam as they called it in that day.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    The 45 cal slug was a lot more use in the jungle than the nine mill.
    A debate that has raged for years and has no practicle, outcome either way.
    Didn't know NZ Inf soldiers were allowed to use/carry non issue weapons in that campaign?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I'm not sure, but one Vet told me they'd never fire an AK, because friendlies tended to open fire at the noise

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    A debate that has raged for years and has no practicle, outcome either way.
    Didn't know NZ Inf soldiers were allowed to use/carry non issue weapons in that campaign?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    You are right R93 we never used non issue weapons. I hope I never gave anyone that impression. It would be the quickest way I know to get bumped off. We knew the sound of every weapon we used and knew intimately the sound of the enemies weapons. The sound of an AK even on TV makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. (Not that you very often hear an actual AK in action)

But we busted some large weapon caches that held a museum of weapons from all over the world. They were choppered back to Nui Dat and stored in a conex. Some soldiers were lucky enough to have a play.

Everything from a Spandau to an American Greasegun favoured by the underworld. Lots of French weapons as you can imagine.

Once or twice we found crossbows.
    Last edited by Scribe; 26-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.