Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By 7mm Rem Mag
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 7 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 3 Post By Rushy
  • 3 Post By PerazziSC3

Thread: Iv'e just lost my virginity

Iv'e just lost my virginity

Hi there,

I'm new to the site and thought I would introduce myself. Until 2 weeks ago I was a 48 year old virgin however after 6 months of hunting with a deer hunting expert (big brother) I can happily say I have now shot my first deer. I was suppose to be at my brothers house at 3.30 am but I had set my cell phone alarm for Monday to Friday so my alarm never went off, it wasn't until I received a text from my brother at 3.45 am saying where are you that I jumped out of bed, pulled on my clothes, jumped in my truck and high tailed it up there. We still arrived at the hunting spot just before first light so all was not lost, we walked briskly to a spot where my brother had previously shot 2 deer and we had seen others. We got out our bino's and glassed the area, there was no sign of life however after a period of time a hind and fawn walked out into the clearing. Although I had never shot a deer I wasn't tempted to take a shot as these animals are our future crop, after they had a good feed they disappeared back into the bush. I asked my brother if he thought any more would come and he said we should probably go and check out some other areas, we had packed up our stuff and were just about to walk away when I looked back and in virtually the same spot there was a 4 pointer grazing. We quickly got our gear ready, ranged the deer which was 362 meters ballistic (391 meters) and I was soon ready to take my first shot. I took aim and squeezed the trigger, the bullet appeared to just miss the deer's head to the right so I quickly reloaded and took aim again this time hitting the deer in the left rear hind leg. I had to crash through bush until I reach a clearing, my brother had to talk me over to where I shot the deer using a radio. Once there I saw some blood but the deer had gone, I spent about 20 minutes tracking the blood trail until I heard it splashing around in the creek. I moved quickly to the creek scoped up the deer and with a head shot it was all over, I had finally got my first deer (great feeling). https://youtu.be/CJh2GQ5hNjk
    P38, Pengy, LOC and 1 others like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Well Done you'd have to be happy with that ,good footage two .
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Good on you for getting your first deer, now get out there and practice with your rifle before tou take a shot like that again instead of crossing your fingers and shooting the poor bastards in the ass
    veitnamcam, tetawa, GWH and 4 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first deer. Learn from your experience with this one.
    veitnamcam, GWH and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Thank you, yes I'm very happy and thanks to my brother for helping me and for his great video

I always struggle a bit with down hill shots ,iv shot my shear of deer over the years but its always surprising how rusty the shooting can get if you haven't fired a shot or 3 for a while..been lucky lately though my kids are on holiday & like shooting so been to the range a far bit it paid off a couple of days ago , now my eldest wants to shoot a deer shes a pretty good shot to ,100 meters with the 223
    Name:  IMG_2666 (Copy).JPG
Views: 363
Size:  74.3 KB

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    I always struggle a bit with down hill shots ,iv shot my shear of deer over the years but its always surprising how rusty the shooting can get if you haven't fired a shot or 3 for a while..been lucky lately though my kids are on holiday & like shooting so been to the range a far bit it paid off a couple of days ago , now my eldest wants to shoot a deer shes a pretty good shot to ,100 meters with the 223
    Attachment 62645
    Is this a photo of your eldest? Women are usually better shots, right out of the box, in my experience. I've taken many couples, that haven't shot before, out shooting and quite often it's the women that hit the target squarely, and the guy doesn't hit the target at all!
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

If you want to watch the video here is the new link, the old video had a spelling mistake. Cheers and happy watching https://youtu.be/gw0U53pf9vs

I agree Boaraxa, I spent a lot of time with my brother sighting in my riffle. We used the range finder at several different distances and I shot until I was spot on however even with the ballistic range the down hill shot still went high. The down hill certainly presents some challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    I agree Boaraxa, I spent a lot of time with my brother sighting in my riffle. We used the range finder at several different distances and I shot until I was spot on however even with the ballistic range the down hill shot still went high. The down hill certainly presents some challenges.
    I suggest spending more time sighting in....
    outdoorlad, Munsey and HNTMAD like this.