Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: From NA to NZ

From NA to NZ

Time to introduce myself I suppose. Found out today that I'm moving to New Zealand so figured I should get a head start on sorting out the relevant laws of the land regarding firearms ownership and hunting in New Zealand.

By way of background: I'm from northwestern Canada, spent a good portion of my life working in the bush and have worked as a gunsmith and blacksmith amongst other things. I'll be central south island so would be glad to meet up and make some connections in a new country!

Edit - I've been digging into the relevant laws relating to firearms ownership in NZ and it seems they're about as clouded as our Canadian laws. If anyone knows of a primer or "NZ gun laws 101" discussion somewhere I'd be interested in reading it.
    Last edited by canross; 21-01-2017 at 04:29 PM.

R93
    Welcome. There are a few of us ex Canucks here. 😆

Not the variety of animals or fish you will be used to, but you can chase them all year round.

Hope you enjoy the move.
    We pretty much have western Canadas scenery packed into a smaller space in the south island.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Tim Dicko and Soulosurfer like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Visitor's firearms licence and import permits | New Zealand Police

There's a section regarding new immigrants.
    WallyR and canross like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post

Thanks moutere! I've been browsing that website for a while now but hadn't noticed the new immigrant section. Helps clarify the plan a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Game for any Game

Welcome, the key problem many visitors (when not settling and travelling ue country) have is storage of firearms. They must be so secured in an approved manner by your arms officer and ammunition stored separately.
    Soulosurfer likes this.

Welcome aboard canross, my brother in law move to Canada for work 6 years ago, no trouble getting them there or getting his pal. Now hes in yellowknife and has citizenship, must get my shit together for a holiday, he says the wildlifes quite plentiful and all ill need to get is a win? card.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Welcome aboard canross, my brother in law move to Canada for work 6 years ago, no trouble getting them there or getting his pal. Now hes in yellowknife and has citizenship, must get my shit together for a holiday, he says the wildlifes quite plentiful and all ill need to get is a win? card.
    Yellowknife is waaaay up north so the wildlife up there is really unmatched anywhere! Yes youlll need a wildlife identification number and a license. Another option is for him to be a host for you. The. You can hunt under his license, he would just need to buy a supplemental tag for whatever you are hunting so he doesn't use up His own!

Game for any Game

I've been digging around a fair bit on google and this site, but a few things may require starting specific threads, but in the interim I'll put some of the questions here. Apologies in advance, learning new firearms laws is never fun for anyone.

For some background, it appears that both of our laws are built on similar concepts, but with radically different implementation. I see a wide variety of information on the police websites that mix laws with what "should" be done, so I'm trying to define what is an actual law and what is considered a best practice.

Based on what I understand of the laws, I would be looking to import a mix of A and E category firearms. I understand that I must apply for and be granted the relevant licences in advance of import. I am hoping to complete all my applications and certification in advance, since I would ideally like to move all my stuff at the same time as I move, to avoid a return flight to Canada to send a second shipment.

1) Does anyone know if the police will grant A and E category licenses to someone abroad? I am able to demonstrate possession of of equivalent licenses to the A, B and E category licenses, have a valid range membership, and can bring secure storage containers with me that would meet police standards (to be established later in this post).

1A) I'm assuming that I must take some sort of safety course in NZ - are they taught by private contractors or government? Is there a "best" course available around Christchurch?

1B) I see that the C endorsement allows the possession of certain firearms for the purpose of collection, but that they can't be fired with live ammunition... if a firearm is purchased under a C category, can it then be transferred to a different category to be shot, if you possess the relevant category license?

2)How do the magazine laws work in NZ? I see references to 7 round capacity in centerfire magazines, but also appearances of holding more than 10 rounds. I think I understand that both capacity and appearance influence category of firearm, in that a magazine that either holds more than 7 rounds or appears to hold more than 10 will make said firearm an E category firearm? So in this case, a bolt action rifle with an 8 round magazine, or magazine that appears to hold 11 rounds would be considered an E category firearm?

2A) In E category firearms, are normal (IE unlimited capacity) magazines permitted, or are they somehow limited to capacity as well? If so, what is the maximum rounds permitted, and may they appear longer than that?

In Canada the rough rule is that semi-automatics may only hold 5 centerfire rounds, whereas bolt/pump/rimfire long guns are unlimited. Pistols may have 10 round magazines. Appearances don't factor into the law, hence the confusion.

3) To define E category firearms, if a firearm has ANY of the defining features, does it become E Category, or is it a combination system like in the US? IE, does the addition of a single listed feature, like a bayonet lug to a bolt action rifle make it an E Category Firearm?

3A) How does this affect things like Lee Enfields, that possess 10 round magazines and bayonet lugs, but are not by any means assault rifles?

3B) Does anyone see any barriers to bringing what are considered E category firearms into the country? I see references to handing in E category guns when importing others... but since I'm moving there that doesn't make a ton of sense.

4) Which categories are subject to transfer control, registration and max ownership? I've seen that pistols must be transferred, registered, and that you may possess a maximum of 12. Is this the case with A and E categories?

5) Does removal of features (IE cutting off a bayonet lug, removing the pistol grip to solid stock and putting in a 5 round magazine) change the category of a firearm from E to A?

6) Can A-category firearms be legally changed to E category firearms by adding the defined features (such as a bayonet lug, pistol grip, or normal capacity magazine). Will the police allow this? Are there barriers to doing so if you are already a licensed E category owner?

Thanks! Hadn't seen that somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Welcome, the key problem many visitors (when not settling and travelling ue country) have is storage of firearms. They must be so secured in an approved manner by your arms officer and ammunition stored separately.
    I'll be there for a while, so plan is to get properly permitted then bring or build a safe there. I'm still feeling out the regulations on what I would need to do. I think I understand storage regulations based on this ( https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...rage/howto.htm )

Number: 30 or fewer
    (or any number of weapons for a Miscellaneous licence)

Category: A, B, C, E & M

Storage State: Unloaded, with the bolt removed or the action broken

Storage Container: In a locked container constructed of solid steel or solid timber, and securely fixed to the frame or floor of a permanent building if the container weighs less than 150kg.

Container must be kept locked with a sturdy combination lock, keyed lock or keyed padlock.

From this I have a few questions.

7) In practice, do the police allow private individuals to build their own locking cabinets, provided the regulations are followed (IE 6mm+ plate thickness, two locking devices, deadbolt diameter etc)?

8) For E Category firearms, are steel cabinets weighing in excess of 150kg required to be bolted to the ground? (I see conflicting information on this between this site saying that they do not need to be bolted if over 150kg (https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...rage/howto.htm) and this one saying they should be ( http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...nts-pol67n.pdf ).

9) There is reference to solid timber as a safe material. In this case, could a purpose built storage cabinet be constructed from 2.5cm plywood, and reinforced with an internal structure of 2x4's with a 4x4 frame, along with a solid core door, protected hinges and deadbolts and steel sill around the door? I mostly ask because in Canada the police follow their own policies, so what is written in law and enforced in practice are two very different things. This would be for A Cat or A&E Cat firearms.

9A) May category A firearms be stored inside a locked home, out of view, but simply trigger locked? Based on what I've read I don't believe so, but it seems to not cover it directly.

9B) Must firearms be disassembled when stored? Would storing an A or E Category firearm in a locked approved safe or cabinet permit them to be left assembled without a trigger lock? If not, would adding a trigger lock to the firearm permit them to be left assembled? If they must be partially or fully disassembled, do the bolts have to be separately locked elsewhere, or can they just be hidden?

I see I found an answer to this one - as long as firearms are in a secure safe, they do not need to be disassembled. Correct?
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...26/#post549117

9C) Ammunition storage. I see that it must be stored separately from firearms. Is it required to be locked in its own box, simply in a separate room, can it be locked with a firearm in a secure area such as a volt or safe?

10) In terms of places/locations that can be hunted or used for target shooting. I realize this will be a complicated one dictated by regional, municipal and federal laws, but in general, are there public areas that are permitted for target shooting or hunting without specific permission? I'm speaking in terms of heading out into somewhere for a weekend camping trip and doing some long range target shooting at the same time. In Canada there is crown/public land that is basically a free for all, but there are some exceptions in different provinces and specific locations.

11) Less on the legal side and more on the hobby side, I am primarily a military surplus and antique collector. I haven't seen much in the way of surplus or antiques for sale online, so curious about availability there. Is that the case or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

12) Any big shows that absolutely have to be attended in the next year? Looks like I'll be in Canada for the 1000 table show, figure I should keep it going by going to some shows in NZ when I get there.

13) Are there any relevant laws regarding building your own firearms? I'm referring to bolt actions in general, but semi-autos as well I suppose.

It's a bit of a grey area here in Canada, but general consensus is as long as it's not a pistol or semi auto you can do whatever you want, and if it is one of the two, you have to tell the police and possibly register it.

13A) Any controls on making suppressors? It's illegal in Canada so not done, but they're so darn simple it seems a waste of money to buy them.

14) Is barrel length controlled? I see that firearms under 30 inches are considered pistols, but am curious whether shortening barrels or rebarreling is permitted? I'm quite fond of short barreled bolt actions for thick bush hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Canada's pretty laid back in that regard, especially the northern territories The PAL (almost all legal long guns) takes a day to take/pass and the RPAL (pistols and some other long guns) takes another day, costing approximately $200 CAD depending on how much the instructor charges. The RCMP will take up to 3 months to send you the firearms license, but if you call daily it goes down to 1 month. Each province/territory has different laws regarding how people from out of province or country can hunt. From a quick look the NWT requires non-residents to use a government registered guide/outfitter if they hunt big game in the territory. Small game is ok without a guide, IE rabbits and grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulosurfer View Post
    Yellowknife is waaaay up north so the wildlife up there is really unmatched anywhere! Yes youlll need a wildlife identification number and a license. Another option is for him to be a host for you. The. You can hunt under his license, he would just need to buy a supplemental tag for whatever you are hunting so he doesn't use up His own!

I believe this changed as of 2014 ( Information for Hunters | Environment and Natural Resources - heading Non-resident / non-resident alien hunting ). I don't think any of the western provinces allowing hunting under another's license anymore, though the Yukon might. Hunter hosts only exist in Alberta now - BC and the NWT don't have them.
    Last edited by canross; 24-01-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    I'll be there for a while, so plan is to get properly permitted then bring or build a safe there. I'm still feeling out the regulations on what I would need to do. I think I understand storage regulations based on this ( https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...rage/howto.htm )

8) For E Category firearms, are steel cabinets weighing in excess of 150kg required to be bolted to the ground? (I see conflicting information on this between this site saying that they do not need to be bolted if over 150kg (https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...rage/howto.htm)
    That link references the Queensland State (Australia) requirements, not NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    I've been digging around a fair bit on google and this site, but a few things may require starting specific threads, but in the interim I'll put some of the questions here. Apologies in advance, learning new firearms laws is never fun for anyone.

For some background, it appears that both of our laws are built on similar concepts, but with radically different implementation. I see a wide variety of information on the police websites that mix laws with what "should" be done, so I'm trying to define what is an actual law and what is considered a best practice.

Based on what I understand of the laws, I would be looking to import a mix of A and E category firearms. I understand that I must apply for and be granted the relevant licences in advance of import. I am hoping to complete all my applications and certification in advance, since I would ideally like to move all my stuff at the same time as I move, to avoid a return flight to Canada to send a second shipment.

1) Does anyone know if the police will grant A and E category licenses to someone abroad? I am able to demonstrate possession of of equivalent licenses to the A, B and E category licenses, have a valid range membership, and can bring secure storage containers with me that would meet police standards (to be established later in this post).

1A) I'm assuming that I must take some sort of safety course in NZ - are they taught by private contractors or government? Is there a "best" course available around Christchurch?

1B) I see that the C endorsement allows the possession of certain firearms for the purpose of collection, but that they can't be fired with live ammunition... if a firearm is purchased under a C category, can it then be transferred to a different category to be shot, if you possess the relevant category license?

2)How do the magazine laws work in NZ? I see references to 7 round capacity in centerfire magazines, but also appearances of holding more than 10 rounds. I think I understand that both capacity and appearance influence category of firearm, in that a magazine that either holds more than 7 rounds or appears to hold more than 10 will make said firearm an E category firearm? So in this case, a bolt action rifle with an 8 round magazine, or magazine that appears to hold 11 rounds would be considered an E category firearm?

2A) In E category firearms, are normal (IE unlimited capacity) magazines permitted, or are they somehow limited to capacity as well? If so, what is the maximum rounds permitted, and may they appear longer than that?

In Canada the rough rule is that semi-automatics may only hold 5 centerfire rounds, whereas bolt/pump/rimfire long guns are unlimited. Pistols may have 10 round magazines. Appearances don't factor into the law, hence the confusion.

3) To define E category firearms, if a firearm has ANY of the defining features, does it become E Category, or is it a combination system like in the US? IE, does the addition of a single listed feature, like a bayonet lug to a bolt action rifle make it an E Category Firearm?

3A) How does this affect things like Lee Enfields, that possess 10 round magazines and bayonet lugs, but are not by any means assault rifles?

3B) Does anyone see any barriers to bringing what are considered E category firearms into the country? I see references to handing in E category guns when importing others... but since I'm moving there that doesn't make a ton of sense.

4) Which categories are subject to transfer control, registration and max ownership? I've seen that pistols must be transferred, registered, and that you may possess a maximum of 12. Is this the case with A and E categories?

5) Does removal of features (IE cutting off a bayonet lug, removing the pistol grip to solid stock and putting in a 5 round magazine) change the category of a firearm from E to A?

6) Can A-category firearms be legally changed to E category firearms by adding the defined features (such as a bayonet lug, pistol grip, or normal capacity magazine). Will the police allow this? Are there barriers to doing so if you are already a licensed E category owner?

Thanks! Hadn't seen that somehow.

From this I have a few questions.

7) In practice, do the police allow private individuals to build their own locking cabinets, provided the regulations are followed (IE 6mm+ plate thickness, two locking devices, deadbolt diameter etc)?

8) For E Category firearms, are steel cabinets weighing in excess of 150kg required to be bolted to the ground? (I see conflicting information on this between this site saying that they do not need to be bolted if over 150kg (https://www.police.qld.gov.au/progra...rage/howto.htm) and this one saying they should be ( http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...nts-pol67n.pdf ).

9) There is reference to solid timber as a safe material. In this case, could a purpose built storage cabinet be constructed from 2.5cm plywood, and reinforced with an internal structure of 2x4's with a 4x4 frame, along with a solid core door, protected hinges and deadbolts and steel sill around the door? I mostly ask because in Canada the police follow their own policies, so what is written in law and enforced in practice are two very different things. This would be for A Cat or A&E Cat firearms.

9A) May category A firearms be stored inside a locked home, out of view, but simply trigger locked? Based on what I've read I don't believe so, but it seems to not cover it directly.

9B) Must firearms be disassembled when stored? Would storing an A or E Category firearm in a locked approved safe or cabinet permit them to be left assembled without a trigger lock? If not, would adding a trigger lock to the firearm permit them to be left assembled? If they must be partially or fully disassembled, do the bolts have to be separately locked elsewhere, or can they just be hidden?

I see I found an answer to this one - as long as firearms are in a secure safe, they do not need to be disassembled. Correct?
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...26/#post549117

9C) Ammunition storage. I see that it must be stored separately from firearms. Is it required to be locked in its own box, simply in a separate room, can it be locked with a firearm in a secure area such as a volt or safe?

10) In terms of places/locations that can be hunted or used for target shooting. I realize this will be a complicated one dictated by regional, municipal and federal laws, but in general, are there public areas that are permitted for target shooting or hunting without specific permission? I'm speaking in terms of heading out into somewhere for a weekend camping trip and doing some long range target shooting at the same time. In Canada there is crown/public land that is basically a free for all, but there are some exceptions in different provinces and specific locations.

11) Less on the legal side and more on the hobby side, I am primarily a military surplus and antique collector. I haven't seen much in the way of surplus or antiques for sale online, so curious about availability there. Is that the case or am I just looking in all the wrong places?

12) Any big shows that absolutely have to be attended in the next year? Looks like I'll be in Canada for the 1000 table show, figure I should keep it going by going to some shows in NZ when I get there.

13) Are there any relevant laws regarding building your own firearms? I'm referring to bolt actions in general, but semi-autos as well I suppose.

It's a bit of a grey area here in Canada, but general consensus is as long as it's not a pistol or semi auto you can do whatever you want, and if it is one of the two, you have to tell the police and possibly register it.

13A) Any controls on making suppressors? It's illegal in Canada so not done, but they're so darn simple it seems a waste of money to buy them.

14) Is barrel length controlled? I see that firearms under 30 inches are considered pistols, but am curious whether shortening barrels or rebarreling is permitted? I'm quite fond of short barreled bolt actions for thick bush hunting.

Canada's pretty laid back in that regard, especially the northern territories The PAL (almost all legal long guns) takes a day to take/pass and the RPAL (pistols and some other long guns) takes another day, costing approximately $200 CAD depending on how much the instructor charges. The RCMP will take up to 3 months to send you the firearms license, but if you call daily it goes down to 1 month. Each province/territory has different laws regarding how people from out of province or country can hunt. From a quick look the NWT requires non-residents to use a government registered guide/outfitter if they hunt big game in the territory. Small game is ok without a guide, IE rabbits and grouse.

I believe this changed as of 2014 ( Information for Hunters | Environment and Natural Resources - heading Non-resident / non-resident alien hunting ). I don't think any of the western provinces allowing hunting under another's license anymore, though the Yukon might. Hunter hosts only exist in Alberta now - BC and the NWT don't have them.
    Dang that's too bad!

Game for any Game

That link references the Queensland State (Australia) requirements, not NZ.
    Right you are. I should've known. Does such a published standard exist for NZ or is it more of a "depends who you get inspecting it" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Soulosurfer View Post
    Dang that's too bad!

Worth a trip anyways! Maybe see if you can find someone in Alberta - they can still host, and it's directly below NWT. Only big game seasons are really in the fall though.

I also see that the storage regs pertaining to ammunition with firearms is here: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regul...DLM169122.html

Doesn't really spell out what "capable of being discharged" means. I'm assuming a trigger lock fits the bill.

Hi Canross

Yes, a firearms safety course is required. This is not onerous, and they held on a regular basis. The Christchurch Arms Office will help you with this, and they are a good bunch.

Yes, you can make your own cabinet provided it meets the requirements. All endorsed licences (B,C,D, E) require a minimum cabinet of 6mm steel, recessed doors, 5 lever deadlocks, securely attached to the building, or a 'stout room' or 'strong room' (concrete & steel).

Pistols and Restricted Weapons (machine guns etc) held on a C endorsement may not be fired with ball ammunition (blanks at a properly organised 'theatrical event' is OK). Restricted Weapons must be stored with a vital part removed and stored separately. If you wish to shoot your pistols then they must be held under a B (pistol club) endorsement, but they can be stored or displayed with your C firearms.

There are no A category magazine restrictions except for semi-auto long arms as follows; .22 rimfire - 15 rounds, centrefire rifles and shotguns - 7 rounds. Higher capacity semi-autos require an E endorsement and are classified as MSSA's (Military Style Semi Auto's), and such features as flash hiders, folding stocks, and free-standing pistol grips also fit this category (only on semi-autos).

There are no restrictions on the number of firearms you may possess on a C endorsement, but the B endorsement restricts you to 12 pistols (unless you can prove you need more to participate in your events).

A category firearms (rifles, shotguns) do not need to have bolts or magazines removed when in storage unless the ammo is stored in the same cabinet. Store your ammo in another cupboard and no worries! The ammo storage rule is that it must be reasonably secure from children. There are no specific requirements for this.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask for more info.
    canross likes this.

I forgot to mention that suppressors are completely unrestricted. The ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation) actually encourages their use. There is a very large range of then available in NZ at modest prices by overseas standards. Many engineers make their own, with varying results!

Ther is no ruling on barrel length, just the overall length. Shortened rifle and shotguns are very popular here for bush work.

Building your own firearms for personal use is legal (permits are needed for pistols, etc), but the manufacture of firearms for sale is restricted to licensed dealers.

Hunting is usually done on Public land. DOC (Dept of Conservation) issue permits free of charge for their vast land areas. Private land require permission of course.
    canross likes this.

Well, by the sounds of it I'm going to have fun there. Appreciate your taking the time to type all this gundoc! Working on some more questions for you - just reading up first to save asking questions that're already written somewhere.