Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bearded

Thread: New shooter from Christchurch

New shooter from Christchurch

Hey guys, Tim here. Have used your forum a few times now for some info on bits and pieces, so thought i'd join up!

I've done a bit of hunting here and there over the years (pigs / possums/ bunnies) but have only recently got my Firearms license and I've bought a brand new Ruger 10/22 with a hushpower suppressor and a 3-9x40 ranger scope with mil dots.

Not very happy with the way it's shooting so far, have sighted it in for 25m just for a start.
    I've put several rounds through it which have hit bang on the bullseye lined up with the crosshair.
    But last time I went out to the range @ mcleans island - the spread was about 2-3 inches with the occasional "flyer" ending up about 4-5 inches out. Not very consistent.

I've been using CCI brand ammo

Any thoughts on why it's being so inconsistent?
    steven likes this.

Ejected
    Loose scope bases or rings is the first thing to check. Next would be the scope, gun city range isn't a very good brand.

It could also be the part that connects the stock to the ground thats at fault. You never know.

Check suppressor too
    VIVA LA HOWA

First check all the screws etc are tight. Costs nothing to make sure they are all good first. Second, the ammo could also play a apart but at 25 metres I have something else to try. What gun range are you using? If handloaders, I would suggest that you try the 50 metre range and see what happens. With the groups you are seeing the closeness of the 25m to the scope could be a big part of the issue. Especially on higher magnifications. When you look through the scope at the target, next time, move your head about while aiming at the target. Do the crosshairs move around as you do this? This is called parrallax, and it happens when the target is closer than the focal length of the scope. Most scopes are focused at 75 to 100m so at very close ranges they have this issue.

I have found that by moving the target further away this effect of the moving crosshairs is reduced.

Then the scope itself could be the next thing to check. Do you have access to another scope. Preferably one that you know works well.

Cheers guys will have a look at these things and see how It goes next time im at the range.

Yeah handloaders, oh yeah I never thought about that, maybe need to try it zoomed all the way out to 3x