Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By GWH

Thread: any advice?

any advice?

The amount of times I've not had a camera on me or even had one but with shit results has gone on long enough! any advice on which dslr on the market 2nd hand or brand new between $200-$500 that would do the trick? I'm not asking for a miracle camera in that price range but something that's hunting friendly wouldn't hurt

For a hunting camera, something like the canon SX50 or SX60 is perfect IMO.. Lighter and smaller and cheaper than a DSLR, insane zoom range and good optical stabilisation for great hunting footage. Sure it's not quite the picture quality of an SLR, but it's still pretty nice. Can be found around your price range, too.
    Tahr, stug, Gibo and 1 others like this.

don't bet on lulu to place....?

+1 for the sx50 is a bit bulky but not too heavy and saves taking the spotting scope. get a semi decent case for it and you could always hang it off the chest strap of your pack / bino bivy or off a belt
    stug likes this.

What StrikerNZ and 223nut ahve said. I have the Canon Sx-50 and have a Lowe pro case that I hang over one shoulder. Easy access and I take a few photos, video becasue it is there. If it is in a pack you won't get it out.

Weight is a factor, as is bulk, so I would steer clear of a DSLR when your primary mission is hunting. The SX-50 has good specs, as do the G series if you have a particularly good scratchie win this week.

Whatever you get, look for a bag or pouch with a zipper or press stud closure - velcro is difficult to open quietly, and spooks close by critters.

i would go for a compact point n shoot style
    Nikon Coolpix P300 with accs | Trade Me
    something like this easy to use, very portable and more than needed for most any pic likely to be printed...
    dslr for more dedicated amateur and still usually only online images so the point/shoot is still ample pixel count for the job
    look for a lens of 24mm equivalent (to 35mm film) for close n wide and a large zoom range, 12-18x to reach out.
    will need technique for a useable pic but no different to shooting
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics...1347632139.htm
    Last edited by Awaian; 15-06-2017 at 11:50 PM.

GWH
    If you want to be able to zoom in and take good pics of far away animals, and or take good video of long range shots etc, then a 'bridge' camera like the Canon Powershot SX50 or the newer one the SX60 are the way to go.

Great bits of kit, far more versatile than the compact point and shoot variety. If you dont want to film or take still at longer range, then the compact is prob all you need.

I have the SX50, but the SX60 is the replacement and on special you can get them for just shy of $500. $550-600 being normal retail by the looks.

This was taken with my Canon SX50 (373 yards)
    https://youtu.be/HXtd7_yV9GI

and this https://youtu.be/ajT6LWCGcEQ
    Last edited by GWH; 16-06-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    blake likes this.

Thanks for the advice guys but I decided to go for a DSLR! actually purchased it this morning, The Nikon D3300. Heres a link of the specs- Nikon D3300 review | TechRadar
    Has actually a very good review! came with 18-55 vrII lens and takes decent close range photos. Just need a bigger magnification lens to complete what I need it for.
    Cheers for the help guys

Yep good camera for the price range.
    Dose it have video capability?
    Wife has the D500 series and the video is very very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Yep good camera for the price range.
    Dose it have video capability?
    Wife has the D500 series and the video is very very good!
    yeah it does mate, 1080/60p HD video to be exact and the videos are coming out clear as hell! What lens do you prefer to use out in the field?

Quote Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys but I decided to go for a DSLR! actually purchased it this morning, The Nikon D3300. Heres a link of the specs- Nikon D3300 review | TechRadar
    Has actually a very good review! came with 18-55 vrII lens and takes decent close range photos. Just need a bigger magnification lens to complete what I need it for.
    Cheers for the help guys
    Now you start to spend money 16-300 mm lens or multiple lens ,tripod,other accessories it gets addictive

i may possibly sell my afs vr 70-300 in the near future if your after a lens for animals

Quote Originally Posted by savage270 View Post
    i may possibly sell my afs vr 70-300 in the near future if your after a lens for animals
    Definitely keen depending on price