Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cameras

The biggest advantages of an SLR are IMO control and responsiveness. You can get better image quality as well, but compact cameras are getting closer in that department these days.

You push the button, the shutter goes click instantly - none of that push the button and wait... wait... wait... click, by which time the thing you were taking a photo of has probably moved.

Obviously to get full advantage from the extra control you need to understand at least the basic principles of it, but its not that hard. And most SLRs still have auto modes for when you can't be bothered. An SLR won't turn a crap photographer into a good one, but if you have an interest and learn how to use it then you will get better results.
    square1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Dave look into the Micro 4/3 camera. They have a bunch of benefits like the SLR with lens interchangeability. Most are mirrorless and more compact too.
    You are also not that bad a shot behind the camera. The Olympus PEN and E-M series are the front runners here.
    +1

Love my Panasonic GX1, pretty compact, great for traveling... not a pain in the ass to carry around like a big clunky DSLR.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    The biggest advantages of an SLR are IMO control and responsiveness. You can get better image quality as well, but compact cameras are getting closer in that department these days.

You push the button, the shutter goes click instantly - none of that push the button and wait... wait... wait... click, by which time the thing you were taking a photo of has probably moved.

Obviously to get full advantage from the extra control you need to understand at least the basic principles of it, but its not that hard. And most SLRs still have auto modes for when you can't be bothered. An SLR won't turn a crap photographer into a good one, but if you have an interest and learn how to use it then you will get better results.
    The shutter speed had me sold once I experienced it, so many surfing pictures missed with what I considered a pretty good point and shoot.

it's all just light control, and balancing (or unbalancing for cool effect) the light. I struggle more with composition than anything!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    One thing I never knew was that the (D)SLRs only have a limited life in the shutter. My old man had one shit itself very early (Canon) and it was an expensive fix. Hence the mirrorless being a big advantage.

Most of them are rated to at least 100,000 clicks now (and usually go way beyond), and I think sub-$100 to replace the shutter if you do manage to wear them out. Older models might have been different though.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I am a useless photographer and I am thinking of spending money on a lost cause in the hopes I at least improve.
    What do you want to be able to do with a new camera? Do you want to get into shooting in RAW and post processing? Do you want it for animals? Do you need additional zoom? Do you want the HD video function? Do you want to learn about ISO, F-Stop, shutter speed, histograms, filters, composition, post processing, apeture/shutter speed priority, focus layering, high dynamic range, low light, starscape, tripods?

What don't you like about your pictures now? Where do you think a DSLR will help you improve?

How hard are you on gear? Will it need to be waterproof? Light weight? Do you want to carry multiple lenses?

I brought a Canon 55D three years ago. That has done me great and nearly 20,000 shots and quite a few videos later i am still learning. I am a whole lot better than i was though. Most of that improvement i put down to practice.
    One thing i do know is it is never the camera that takes a great photo... it is the photographer. The camera mostly just improves the technical quality.

Definetly look at mirrorless/compact system cameras. Most have the same size sensor as common DSLR (APS-C) but are way more compact than DSLR. And they still have interchangeable lenses

We were saying today that the 3 of us that own SLRs at work hardly ever use them
    , except for portraits. Better friendlier options avail
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Would you say Mirrorless are better and friendlier?

35 mm film is really better but who cares anymore!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hmm I'm not quite old enough to know how good 35 mm film is

Hahahahahahahahaha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Good reply Logan. That told the old bugger
    Spoon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    We were saying today that the 3 of us that own SLRs at work hardly ever use them, except for portraits. Better friendlier options avail
    Depends on the individual I think - for some people it isn't worth getting an SLR but I'm currently plotting an upgrade from my ~10yr old SLR to a newer, better one and there is no way I would even consider going back to a compact/in-between kind of thing. Horses for courses, right tool for the job and so on. I stick to a mid-range SLR because I enjoy photography but still carry it up hills, pro photographers use 1kg+ monsters that can take incredible beatings all day every day and never miss a shot, for others a compact that gets pulled out for the odd snap does the trick, some people just take selfies with their phone.

I guess you could make a comparison with rifles - someone who only ever hunts in the bush won't get any advantage from a 7mm superkickassmagnum with fussy load development, slippery bullets, big scope etc and will just get annoyed about carrying the extra bulk. But a long range shooter will be just as annoyed by having to use an open sight SMLE or Norinco JW103 with cheap factory ammo!

I've got the base model Nikon D3100. I'm slowly learning how to turn my good photgraphs into great photographs. There is alot more you can achieve with an SLR camera if you have to motivation to learn how to actually use them. My wife hates our camera because she wants to just point and shoot a 'great' photgraph. Sorry love, you've gotta work for it.