Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 3 Post By chindit
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Looking for advice

Looking for advice

Looking for a good quality trail cam, but have got deep pockets and short arms. Looking for something that'll take photos of trespassers with enough clarity for prosecution. Having had nothing to do with them, nor knowing what range they have , what's out there. Probably looking at up to 25m range.
    Is this achievable on a budget, or will I be whistling in the wind

Key component I have found is the delay time from detection to picture taken. If set up on the side of a track someone can walk past and you miss them. If set up in an open space not such an issue. Got a Bushnell originally and happy with it, then an alcheapo off trade me to try and get it to pxt images to my phone (didn't work) but it works just as well as my Bushnell.
    oraki likes this.

Saw one on TM around $220 delivered that send a pxt and thought it might be ok. Might be better looking for something else. Some that I've seen have a red light showing at night which would defeat the purpose of having one. Chances are they'd see the light and pinch it. I like the idea of pxt because even if they do take it, I've still got a photo of them messing with it. I guess you get what you pay for, and potentially could save us thousands in damage, so should factor that into the purchase.
    What pisses me off is the fact that I've got to go to these lengths to protect what's mine from this pond scum.
    They think what is mine belongs to them. Fecken lowlife pieces of shite who've never worked a day in their lives

What about a poacher alarm. Don't know the legality of such in NZ. About 15 pounds from the uk, or you could probably make one. Trip wire fires a blank shotgun cartridge BOOM. Could be fun. It would just be a alarm to warn you that some lowlife is on your property not to scare them shitless right. Good explanation on how it works on youtube, easy to make.
    WallyR, oraki and 223nut like this.

Looked into the pxt ones but pricey, as you say you get what you pay for, h & f can get mountain pxt ones in, I'm in patch reception so limited where I can put my one, it works but only in certain places
    oraki likes this.

They're walking along the edge of a paddock which is about 3 km away from the house. Loud noises will turn them into even bigger shitheads, and I still won't hear it anyway. Trigger time on a camera possibly not to much of a prob as they're either on the edge, or in 12m on the tramline. It's just finding that posse where it will work. Detection distance is going to be the biggest problem I think