Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Butterfish andMoki

Quote Originally Posted by sakokid View Post
    Yum
    +1
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Blue Moki is fine if you treat it right, gill, gut and on to ice straight away.

Apparently it's great smoked but I prefer to just crumb it,

My favourite is to squeeze lemon juice over fresh fillets, cover it and leave in the fridge for the day, then crumb and quick pan fry.
    stingray and Boulderman like this.

just like kaiwha, bleed gut and chill, best speared and iki'ed ( head shot recomended, body shot or netted their flesh goes tends to grey). Smoked they are amazing huge chunks of firm white flesh! Great to use the left overs for fish pie, if find you get a big one break the fillet down to bite size pieces rather than over cook large fillets. That is cut the fillet in half width ways and / or length ways so you can cook it through quickly.

Never shot a red moki, they're just to damn tame / trusting ... Easy going!
    Haggie and 308jase like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Never shot a red moki, they're just to damn tame / trusting ... Easy going!
    Another Nelson Spearo I see!!!
    stingray likes this.

When I started spearfishing I was told it is best to freeze butterfish, then thaw it for cooking. Can't say I noticed a huge difference either way, it's a hit and miss fish, shoot two (or more) during the same dive, one is glorious, the other is tough and chewy. They can get quite broad, so I have found that slicing down the fillet to make it half as thick before frying in the pan works best, hot and fast. Ceviche with butterfish goes well also.

Moki goes great in a curry, Thai style. Throw it in last so it just cooks through, magic. Otherwise, I find it a bit 'fishy' for most uses.

yea i can agree with that, iv been told unless moki is fat then give it a miss