Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Duck Eggs

Duck Eggs

Are these any good? Do you get more bang for your buck in terms of protien and other goodies?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Let a couple of dozen of them hatch and grow Dougie and you will certainly get more protien and enough down to top up an old sleeping bag.
    mattdw and Dougie like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Are they Mallard or domestic (Moscovie etc)?
    They are certainly richer in flavour that the Chook eggs and I recall my ma used to use less when baking with duck eggs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    They are certainly richer in flavour that the Chook eggs and I recall my ma used to use less when baking with duck eggs.....
    Maybe because they are larger? (Are they?)

I'm just day dreaming about living somewhere that I can have a coupe...is it legal to have ducks with clipped wings live in a coupe?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Maybe because they are larger? (Are they?)

I'm just day dreaming about living somewhere that I can have a coupe...is it legal to have ducks with clipped wings live in a coupe?
    Yeah they are larger by a bit depending on the duck and the chicken, it was more to do with the flavour as it is way richer. Not sure how she compensated for the volume...not a baker...
    We used to have a farm in town with ducks so dont think its a problem having "domestic" ducks in a coupe in town. Not sure on the rules for Mallards and Parries though.
    If they come to take them away just cook em!!

Parries in town? Good way to piss off your neighbours...
    Wirehunt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Parries in town? Good way to piss off your neighbours...
    Ours were Moscovy. Oh and the Geese I bought back from up the river....they pissed the neighbours off!!! But then again so did the Goats!

SiB
    the only thing I'm aware off regarding the other types of eggs is the issue of bacteria; so these eggs must be cooked (ie baking is Ok) - that means eating the raw cake batter mix is not OK, eating the baked (duck) egg cake is OK
    NOBODY IS PERFECT - but if you're from Yorkshire you're pretty close
    The above was written slowly, for those of us who can't read quickly.

I got introduced to ducks eggs when I was a kid living in Te Puke one of our freinds had a few mallard ducks set up camp in their chook house and never left so every time I stayed there I was always given bacon and scrambled duck eggs with baked beans for breakfast then was dragged out to the shearing shed with their father to work off the huge breakfast picking up wool for the day and would get some pocket money out of it too .
    Wirehunt and Gibo like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

awesome for making sponges and cakes

I remember mallard eggs being about the same size and taste as bantam eggs but the memory could be fading, it's been a long time since I had either.

My olds farm Emu's. They are equivalent to about 12 chicken eggs and taste about the same.
    I used to bring them to work and make everyone an omelete. 2 eggs feed all 8 of us.
    Wirehunt likes this.

My olds farm Emu's. They are equivalent to about 12 chicken eggs and taste about the same.
    I used to bring them to work and make everyone an omelete. 2 eggs feed all 8 of us.
    Ah yes emus the dopiest birds around only form of wildlife I have seen run towards a combine harvester and straight into the feeder house and through the thresher after being tangled in the pickup tynes of the grain head.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

ebf
    Mrs ebf got some (duck eggs) at the Lower Hutt market last weekend and gave them to Mrs kiwi39

Apparently they are very good. Speak to Tim about what the taste is like.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

We used to gather wild mallard eggs as kids tasted like yuk very rich. I'd never rush back for more. Quail eggs are awesome to eat and best chook eggs are the ones I buy from the Lichfield Poultry farm just south of Putaruru, free range units are wow