Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: How to cook goat?????

SiB
    Don't call it goat. Call it chevron. If I recall correctly that was the name used when it was being marketed.

I have heard that Italians like billy meat.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Goat can dry out easily as there is little fat in the meat so retaining as much moisture as possible when roasting in the key to juicy tender results ..... That and not trying to roast up a stinky old billy that is.

As others have said above Roast slowly for a longer period in an oven bag or wrapped in foil.

Cooked in the slow cooker with a can of chopped tomatoes, some herbs and red wine is very nice too.

I leave the bone in when cooking the legs.

Pierce the leg in several places and poke a clove of garlic into the cuts, Coat the outside with mixed herbs, Place the leg in a roasting bag or wrapped in foil in a roasting dish that has a lid add some sliced onions and a half a cup or so of red wine and cook it slowly over several hours.

There's lots of recipe's on the net Google some up and give it a try.

Just be prepared for People to screw their nose up and refuse to eat it once they know it is Goat Meat.

My wife's snobby friend loved the Roast Goat Leg I did last Christmas ...... She's still telling everyone that was the best LAMB Roast she's ever had.

Cheers
    Pete
    Thanks P38 Going to do it for xmas day, and wont tell anyone what it is until after, i did this with rabbit last year as kebabs and everyone ate it and liked it.
    P38, mikee, Pengy and 1 others like this.
    God bless me coz on other bas**@d will

Goat is the most commonly eaten meat on the planet

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Stock up on oven bags (can use them in the crock pot for super easy clean up too) and go crazy. I love goat with cous cous, Google is your friend and go crazy.

I can't remember the last time I bought meat at the supermarket. Rabbit and hate can be Devine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Rabbit and hate can be Devine too.
    I always thought hate tasted a bit nasty.
    P38, veitnamcam, kiwijames and 1 others like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    I shot three young billy goats for dog tucker. They were around six months old at a guess and weren't very stinky. cooked up one rear quarter and it was great so don't limit yourself just to nannies, young billies are good to

Sent from my workbench
    Yep.

Like any animal, young equals tender.

Cheers
    Pete

Throw it in a big pot & boil it for a couple of hours. The dog will love it & they don't get fat from eating it.
    Gun control means using both hands

Chevon rates highly in my family..... Was a bit nervous first time , tho I don't know why...even suprised the mother inlaw after eating wat she thought was lamb.
    I take meat from young animals preferably nannies and cook the rear wheels like a lamb hogget nice and slow on low and usually from frozen.... I like to salt the leg quite well and add a small amount of water just enough to cover the covered roasting dish and add a bit of fresh wild thyme seems to go pretty good.... The sweetest goat I've eaten came from up the side of the clutha river not far from Alexandra.... Straps can be cooked similar to venison I like my veni straps in a length about 6 to 8 inches long..cook it hard on high to sear then in a moderate oven for maybe 10 mins.... Always let meat rest for a time. Fillets are very good too

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Throw it in a big pot & boil it for a couple of hours. The dog will love it & they don't get fat from eating it.
    Yeah but man are there farts rotton
    God bless me coz on other bas**@d will

Just chucked some goat in my veni sausage mix, will report back next week when they return from the butcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Every time I have been on a stinky shooting mission I have thought that I would take a piece home and try it. Every time I have shot one I have thought I would rather have KFC
    Yet to try goat

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Every time I have been on a stinky shooting mission I have thought that I would take a piece home and try it. Every time I have shot one I have thought I would rather have KFC
    Yet to try goat
    When in Wellington I was taking them out whole which kinda sucked smell wise but every scrap was fed to the dogs. (Now I have a raw food contact for dog food, so that's changed...)

Andrew showed me a way to do goats just like how we've done rabbits and hares. Back steaks and back wheels, no need to gut...as long as you're knife doesn't slip eh @7mmsaum hahaha "Hey Dougie, just watch you don't cut the gut bag-" POP. Whoops. Anyway super quick and easy and you'll be home before tea with a pikau full of yummy, easy meat. I've perfected my de-silvering on goat meat. Get your knife under the sinue and then flip it over and fillet like a fish.

I reckon for eating, cooking, preparing, shooting, gutting, learning how to hunt..goats are under-rated as to how much we can learn from them.
    sako75, Pengy and RV1 like this.

Lots of fresh rosemary and pin some bacon to them with tookpicks to keep the moisture up.

I eat a fair bit of goat. I pick them just big enough to go in the bbq whole pat them down with spices either Moroccan or Mexican wrap some foil around it and slow roast. Take the foil off for the last 45 mins. Yum Yum. And when you can go and get 5 or 6 in a few hours of hunting they are good value.
    Dougie likes this.