Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Rig (Lemon fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    sweet & sour fish . Wasn't to shabby at all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Forgot it was a" Run Night " Im training buddy for my daughter , she's training for upcoming football Tournament . I scoffed all that and some , including 3 Coronas . Then got the call up , completely forgotten . No pain no gain they say
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

One of my favourite eating fish, influenced by my mother, is smoked ling.

I like an oily fish so quite like warehou. Not a fan of the flavourless stuff that tends to be so highly prized nowadays.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    For me it goes deep sea fish eating quality

...Gemfish/Bluenose Tied first, White Warehou second Orange roughy/patagonian toothfish 3rd..... This is all cooked but in another catagory I guess you have to have raw and bluefin is right up there....not fussed on it cooked

Inshore fish Turbot firstplace JohnDory second (never caught either of them myself on a rod) Blue cod third and snapper/gurnard/yellowbelly and greenback flounders 4th equal ..
    Near total agreement on that, though I don't think I've ever had white warehou.

Gemfish is bloody nice and 'puka a bit over-rated. It certainly keeps poorly even using the top techniques. I prefer to immed bleed fish on landing then straight on ice, vac-pakd soon as I get home. 'Puka need all that red stuff trimmed off, else it taints the white stuff quickly. We recently ate some vac-pakd blue cod that was over eight months old and it was mint.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Near total agreement on that, though I don't think I've ever had white warehou.

Gemfish is bloody nice and 'puka a bit over-rated. It certainly keeps poorly even using the top techniques. I prefer to immed bleed fish on landing then straight on ice, vac-pakd soon as I get home. 'Puka need all that red stuff trimmed off, else it taints the white stuff quickly. We recently ate some vac-pakd blue cod that was over eight months old and it was mint.
    Yea puka/grouper/ bass is well over rated imho but bluenose or gemfish! Sweet succulent soft juicy flesh and white also.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    One of my favourite eating fish, influenced by my mother, is smoked ling.

I like an oily fish so quite like warehou. Not a fan of the flavourless stuff that tends to be so highly prized nowadays.
    Ling is certanĺy not bad....very firm flesh tho. Never tried it smoked myself only ever fresh pan fried or battered and shallow fried....would probably smoke up well tho

We had a Pom come out and stay with us in the Marlborough sounds many years ago. We took him out fishing and caught a couple cod and a couple Kahawahai. We had them fillets and in the pan as soon as we got home and were tucking into a very nice fresh feed. He just sat there staring at the fish on his plate and staring at us. We asked what was up and it went a little like this...

Pom: Is this safe to eat?

Us: Yes. Why? I thought you said you like fish?

Pom: I do. But its not right. It doesn't smell like fish.

us: Thats because its fresh.

Pom: I eat fresh fish at home and it smells like fish. this doesn't smell like fish.

Us: Ours smells just like fish that was caught a few hours ago. If you really want it to smell, I can leave it out in the sun for a day, but we dont eat that Sh_t. It smells liek that back "home" because it probably spent a week or three in the hold of the boat, a few days to the shop and a few days at the shop BEFORE you bought it.

He listened, he tentatively tried it and he really enjoyed it. I found out a few years later that he cannot eat fish back home. (Its not fresh enough- It now smells fishy....)
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ling is certanĺy not bad....very firm flesh tho. Never tried it smoked myself only ever fresh pan fried or battered and shallow fried....would probably smoke up well tho

Smoked ling, a dark orange colour on the outside, flaked and cooked in a 'pie' with smashed spud and eggs. Cheese grilled on the top at the end. Usual seasoning to taste.

The lemon fish was great with a gluten free batter (dreamed up in head on the day) with just enough curry powder to give it colour but not much taste.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Smoked ling, a dark orange colour on the outside, flaked and cooked in a 'pie' with smashed spud and eggs. Cheese grilled on the top at the end. Usual seasoning to taste.

The lemon fish was great with a gluten free batter (dreamed up in head on the day) with just enough curry powder to give it colour but not much taste.
    Im sure I would find you some more if you popped up for a weekend and hopefully some snapper this time.