Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 4 Post By planenutz
  • 1 Post By Willie
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 2 Post By keenbloke
  • 1 Post By MassiveAttack

Thread: small goods machines/smoker/mincer/sausages

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    2,765

    small goods machines/smoker/mincer/sausages

    Thinking about a smoker mainly and also a mincer/sausage maker.

    Any recommendations on what to buy for a beginner?

    I dont really have the patience/for-thought to muck around for to long trying to maintain a fire etc so liked the look of the electric ones??

    Should a mincer by electric or are the manual ones ok.

    Cheers for any tips
    MightyBoosh likes this.

  2. #2
    Cook Angus_A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The big smoke
    Posts
    1,244
    Smokers are easy enough to build out of old filing cabinets with a cheap electric hob for burning power. That's the method i've always used and it's fantastic for smoking a large amount of things such as fish and bacon. For things such as pulled pork and brisket that require longer, hotter cooking a webber grill does a fantastic job and requires very little babysitting after your coals are lit so depending on what you're looking to smoke it may be better to take that route.
    Manual mincers work just fine,are much cheaper than electric and are way easier to clean in my experience. Some stand mixers have mincer attachments also so that could be worth investigating (might be easier to justify to the wife hah). Either will typically come with a sausage stuffing attachment.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Home - mainland nz, actual - could be anywhere...
    Posts
    2,378
    I've got a Bradley digital smoker. It's good that you can repeat what worked, and easy to use. But bloody expensive to feed the wood pucks in, and your limited to the flavors that they have.
    Would get one again - maybe, but would look at the ones that can use normal shavings etc.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arrowtown
    Posts
    173
    My two cents worth:

    Smokers are awesome. Every home should have one and as I type this I have a salmon being hot smoked for dinner tonight. 40-45 minutes start to finish, slow cooked and melt in your mouth. Unfortunately its hard to get something decent without spending big money in one form or another. Years ago I bought a cheap upstanding charcoal smoker on 1-day. Damned if I could get the thing to work to my satisfaction so I bought a cheap gas ring to go in the bottom. That worked better. Biggest issue is temperature control and with the gas ring I only get a max of 130C. It's good for biltong and hot smoking fish but not really that practical for making a Ham, for example. A couple of years back I got a Smokai smoke generator... Damn, I should have done that years ago. By attaching the Smokai smoke generator to the side of my Brinkman box I can now hot AND cold smoke, opening up a whole new world of yummyness

    In hindsight I'd have been better buying the Smokai first and going from there. My future plans involve going bigger on the smoke box. I need more room... I'm thinking a wooden structure about 1.8 m high and a good 600 x 600 wide/deep. Big hams need a bit of room and with that height I can then do sausages easier.

    An important note: There are not enough days left in your life to enjoy the awesomeness of smoked food so don't delay getting into it any longer.

    What was the question again? Oh, yeah... right... buy something like a Smokai smoke generator and go from there... get an old fridge, bolt it on the side and see how you go. Experiment with enthusiasm.

    Mincer? Yep, definitely. Go electric. Much easier to use and faster when you're doing it on your own. An electric mincer also let's you have two hands free... easier to make sausages that way.

    Enjoy.

  5. #5
    Member Willie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    513
    For a mincer/ sausage maker hard to pass this up
    SAUSAGE MAKER | Trade Me or if you prefer red SAUSAGE MAKER 2800W | Trade Me
    I have one and it turns meat into mince easy enough, maybe just need to trim the sinew a little more than a commercial grade one but for the price it's awesome.
    Also just finished 3 salamis this morning which are now resting in the fridge.
    Sausage stuff can be found here:https://www.thecasingboutique.com/?locality=nz and here https://oskarbutcher.co.nz/

    Good fun indeed!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    290
    If you a serious about small goods dont piss about with a hand mincer, unless you are only going to do 1 kg at a time.
    Also dont piss about with the small electric ones.
    Get a seperate mincer and seperate sausage stuffer

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-fa...1327516124.htm

    Sausage Maker Filler Stuffer Sausage Making 10LB | Trade Me

    Both these types ( not this specific one ) will be good long lasting machines. Chill the meat down real low ...almost frozen and the mincer will plough through it.

    Smokai is probably a good bit of kit, I made a copy of one called an amazen smoker and it works great for cold smoke, but everyone that has the smokai loves them.

  7. #7
    Member tiroatedson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Te Awamutu Rural
    Posts
    667
    Just minced some dog tucker heifer up today using a Kenwood mincer. Two back legs no worries. Broke them into strips to freeze them down then poked them through. Mince will get a try tomorrow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,118
    I smoke fish and meat in my bbq no problem. Its mostly hot smoking but if turned right down its almost cold smoking. I put the sawdust/chips in a tin foil pkt with holes punched in them.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    My two cents worth:

    Smokers are awesome. Every home should have one and as I type this I have a salmon being hot smoked for dinner tonight. 40-45 minutes start to finish, slow cooked and melt in your mouth. Unfortunately its hard to get something decent without spending big money in one form or another. Years ago I bought a cheap upstanding charcoal smoker on 1-day. Damned if I could get the thing to work to my satisfaction so I bought a cheap gas ring to go in the bottom. That worked better. Biggest issue is temperature control and with the gas ring I only get a max of 130C. It's good for biltong and hot smoking fish but not really that practical for making a Ham, for example. A couple of years back I got a Smokai smoke generator... Damn, I should have done that years ago. By attaching the Smokai smoke generator to the side of my Brinkman box I can now hot AND cold smoke, opening up a whole new world of yummyness

    In hindsight I'd have been better buying the Smokai first and going from there. My future plans involve going bigger on the smoke box. I need more room... I'm thinking a wooden structure about 1.8 m high and a good 600 x 600 wide/deep. Big hams need a bit of room and with that height I can then do sausages easier.

    An important note: There are not enough days left in your life to enjoy the awesomeness of smoked food so don't delay getting into it any longer.

    What was the question again? Oh, yeah... right... buy something like a Smokai smoke generator and go from there... get an old fridge, bolt it on the side and see how you go. Experiment with enthusiasm.

    Mincer? Yep, definitely. Go electric. Much easier to use and faster when you're doing it on your own. An electric mincer also let's you have two hands free... easier to make sausages that way.

    Enjoy.
    I might buy a wine barrel and a smokai for a bit of authenticity
    keenbloke likes this.

  10. #10
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I might buy a wine barrel and a smokai for a bit of authenticity
    New or old? The price of a new barrel would make your eyes water

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arrowtown
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I might buy a wine barrel and a smokai for a bit of authenticity
    Yep, they work well. I'm not sure they impart any additional flavours but they certainly look good and in terms of volume, they're just about perfect for home use.

    Having a door rather than a lid would be my preference. I've seen barrels where you stack stuff in from the top and I think that might be cumbersome once you've got it running.

    Go for it... you won't regret it.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    2,765
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    New or old? The price of a new barrel would make your eyes water
    Old I'm thinking, couple Hundy??

  13. #13
    Member keenbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    118
    Smoked Cheese is the business!! Old boss got one of these https://www.wildearthwines.co.nz/stoaker
    It is fricken awesome but I'm sure you could do the same thing at a much cheaper cost with the smokai
    johnd and Beaker like this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Shaky City
    Posts
    1,443
    Smoked nuts (e.g. almonds) are also awesome.
    johnd likes this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    121
    I have a Smokai, works pretty well. Use it on my BBQ, Been trying to get a old wine barrel, but hell they are expensive!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Couple of looks in new areas produce the goods
    By deer243 in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-08-2016, 09:10 PM
  2. Insurance for sporting goods
    By Ryan_Songhurst in forum Off topic
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 18-06-2016, 09:56 AM
  3. Annealing machines?
    By kimjon in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 28-04-2015, 01:02 PM
  4. Dangerous goods courses
    By hunter308 in forum Off topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM
  5. Sausages! Salamis! Small goods!
    By Gutshot in forum Hunting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!