Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Tips/tricks/advice/recipes/whatever

Tips/tricks/advice/recipes/whatever

I have so much free time here it's ridiculous.
    So i wanted to know if theres any recipes people want or any advice or tips people need.

Thanks

Angus
    sako75 and GWH like this.
    "A party without cake is just a meeting" - Juila Child

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    OK I got one for you. How do you rest meat (like a whole fillet) without it going cold?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    OK I got one for you. How do you rest meat (like a whole fillet) without it going cold?
    Wrap it in foil, keep it on a wire rack so there's a little surface touching the meat (and therefore drawing out moisture) an eye fillet should need only about 20 minutes to rest.
    Serving on warm plates is also a must. If your kitchen is particularly cold a 50-60 degree oven is safe for resting purposes.
    Dougie and stingray like this.

The other ting I do is wrap tea towel round the foil, keeps a bit more heat in, just like a blanket. Not required in commercial kitchens as normally bloody hot!

Don't put towel round and stick it in the oven

Cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

your sausage recipes!

Angus, can you explain what & when different oils should be used for? ie; olive, rapeseed, canola, etc
    I just use olive for everything, also what's the story on mixing butter & oil?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Angus, can you explain what & when different oils should be used for? ie; olive, rapeseed, canola, etc
    I just use olive for everything, also what's the story on mixing butter & oil?
    Olive oil has a low smoke point so it's best used when cooking at lower temperatures. It has a strong flavour so it's not ideal for searing, regular olive oil should be used for cooking whilst extra virgin should be used for salads and dressings because it has more plant matter in it (giving it a stronger flavour) which makes it burn and turn bitter very easy.
    Rapeseed/canola/ricebran/avacado/soya bean oil are what are known as 'neutral oils' and have little to no flavour but extremely high smoke points making them ideal for searing and frying. Generally rice bran and sunflower oil have the highest smoke points of the lot.
    Combining butter and oil will stablize it and prevent it from burning as quickly when used for frying.
    veitnamcam and GWH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    your sausage recipes!
    Oh yeah, i forgot about that. I'll type some up now for ya buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_A View Post
    Olive oil has a low smoke point so it's best used when cooking at lower temperatures. It has a strong flavour so it's not ideal for searing, regular olive oil should be used for cooking whilst extra virgin should be used for salads and dressings because it has more plant matter in it (giving it a stronger flavour) which makes it burn and turn bitter very easy.
    Rapeseed/canola/ricebran/avacado/soya bean oil are what are known as 'neutral oils' and have little to no flavour but extremely high smoke points making them ideal for searing and frying. Generally rice bran and sunflower oil have the highest smoke points of the lot.
    Combining butter and oil will stablize it and prevent it from burning as quickly when used for frying.
    Whats the tucky with coconut oil, we use it almost exclusively for when cooking meat alone. Seems pretty neutral taste wise

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Whats the tucky with coconut oil, we use it almost exclusively for when cooking meat alone. Seems pretty neutral taste wise
    I use it for deserts when i need to make a chocolate coating for eclairs etc. But i don't generally recommend it for cooking with as it's not a very stable product, bloody good for you though i hear. We used to put a teaspoon of it in our coffee at the beginning of a shift to even out the caffeine release and keep us going longer.
    kiwi39 likes this.

What do you mean by stable? Does it not have a consistent smoke temp if thats how you measure it?

Yep. Exactly.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_A View Post
    Yep. Exactly.
    Cheers. Will make sure the wife and I keep an eye on it.

What's that sauce recipe you gave to that old fart Rushy! He made some last night for the venison, it's sticky, want to make money? Bottle it that's one of the best sauces I've tasted! We should talk!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    What's that sauce recipe you gave to that old fart Rushy! He made some last night for the venison, it's sticky, want to make money? Bottle it that's one of the best sauces I've tasted! We should talk!
    Must have been shit veni to need sauce Rushy gave me a sauce recipe for veni a year ago. Maybe need to stop getting tasty ones to try it?
    veitnamcam likes this.