Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Want some recipes?

I filled my painters boot with meat last week instead of money so a bit low now. Probably less than a hundred kilos left

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I filled my painters boot with meat last week instead of money so a bit low now. Probably less than a hundred kilos left

100KG's shit you're gonna starve!!!!

you guys are mean.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    I think you should share this anyways mate.....sounds tasty! I then may share mine...... has a very unlikely ingredient but is off the chain!!!
    OK Gibo but just because you asked for it. I have jealously guarded this secret for years but it is time now for you and the other forum members to take a step up in the quality of a BBQ'd back steak.

Mix in a shaker 1/4 cup soya sauce, 1/8 cup of your favourite port or red wine, 1/8 cup worchester sauce, 1-2 tea spoons of crushed garlic, a splash of good olive oil and copiuos rough ground seasoned pepper (to taste). Let the venison and the marinade both come to room temperature separately. 30 minutes before cooking, put the venison into the marinade so it gets covered all over. Cook the venison to medium rare, rest covered for at least 10 minutes and enjoy.
    Dino and Dougie like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    OK Gibo but just because you asked for it. I have jealously guarded this secret for years but it is time now for you and the other forum members to take a step up in the quality of a BBQ'd back steak.

Mix in a shaker 1/4 cup soya sauce, 1/8 cup of your favourite port or red wine, 1/8 cup worchester sauce, 1-2 tea spoons of crushed garlic, a splash of good olive oil and copiuos rough ground seasoned pepper (to taste). Let the venison and the marinade both come to room temperature separately. 30 minutes before cooking, put the venison into the marinade so it gets covered all over. Cook the venison to medium rare, rest covered for at least 10 minutes and enjoy.

Ah mate you are a Legend!!
    I have a deck warming party to hold on Saturday so it will be tried out then. Sounds the buisness though. Thanks Rushy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ah mate you are a Legend!!
    I have a deck warming party to hold on Saturday so it will be tried out then. Sounds the buisness though. Thanks Rushy!!
    Really important things that you may have glossed over in the reading Gibo are - room temperature - 30 minutes - rest. Gibo let me know how many of your guests reckon it is the best that they have ever tasted. I can almost guarantee there will be some.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Really important things that you may have glossed over in the reading Gibo are - room temperature - 30 minutes - rest. Gibo let me know how many of your guests reckon it is the best that they have ever tasted. I can almost guarantee there will be some.
    No glossing mate will be to the letter!! I am a bit particular with my precious Veni so I wont take any short cuts!

Very very similar to mine Rushy :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Very very similar to mine Rushy
    Just like Richard Pearse and Wilbur and Orville Wright at opposite ends of the globe had a similar idea about powered flight, it doesn't surprise me that two good looking guys that love venison could refine a similar marinade over years of tinkering.

Add some sweet chilli, it is surprisingly good...

Not bad, i personally enjoy it seared rare with a mint infused balsamic reduction. But then again when it comes to red meat i'm a purist and like it prepared as simply as possible. Will give the marinade a try though!

Quote Originally Posted by Angus_A View Post
    Not bad, i personally enjoy it seared rare with a mint infused balsamic reduction. But then again when it comes to red meat i'm a purist and like it prepared as simply as possible. Will give the marinade a try though!
    Angus I will give that a go. Do you simply crush some mint into an off the shelf reduced balsamic or do you do the hard yards and prepare the reduction from scratch? I am interested in your thoughts on the marinade so best you get out there and smack over an animal.

In the mean time i can send you a whole vacume packed muscle from a hind quarter to go nuts on and post it up.

Now what would be the best way to send it?
    I haven't had much luck with things getting to the other island on time lately .

Very similar recipe to what we use.
    I prefer to cook it on the BBQ with the 2 outer burners going.

Rested

Good to eat. I don't like my venison medium rare

I've adapted my marinade to gluten free, really have to watch a lot of products you wouldn't think would have any in. I never measure the ingredients, but about 1/4 cup of red wine, a tablespoon of San-J Organic Tamari sauce (basically a gluten free soy sauce), a good slosh of Barkers black current, a squirt of Barkers spicy plum sauce and a sprinkle of Masterfoods Thai seasoning. Put everything together as Rushy says, but make sure it gets turned a few times.

I use a similar mix for a casserole in the slow cooker with a bit of crushed kiwifruit for really tough meats.
    Gibo likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!