Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By FRST

Thread: 1903A4 Sniper build

1903A4 Sniper build

This project started off with a sportered 1903/a3. The barrel had been shortened/threaded for a suppressor and it was sitting in a Monte Carlo dark walnut stock with some light coloured wood highlights. Pretty hideous to look at, the best pieces on it were Buehler mounts/rings/safety, but sadly being a historical build these would not be retained.

I already had a 1943 Remington barrel in good nick and Allan Carr fitted it for me. These actions and barrels are often indexed to line up with each other and so it was a relatively easy process. With Allan you know it will be right anyhow.

Numrich supplied the stock. This is my second 1903 stock from them and it is a beautifully finished product. The machinery they use must be CNC. The outside is supplied finished and the inletting is just the same- you could happily eat off it. I sourced the milspec metal from Numrich, the late Din Collings and TM.
    I decided to use 1903A1 metal for this rifle and I still need the bottom metal as its A3. The A1 metal is not stamped/welded like the A3 which looks like grandads old rusty single-shot 22 trigger-guard. Just cheap/yuk!
    There are plenty of legit 1903A4 pattern sniper photos around with the A1 metal so this will still be 'correct'

Next step is finding the Redfield Junior rings/mount and a Lyman Alaskan. (If you got some i'll pay good money!)
    I'm not running the Weaver 330c, that scope is a joke!

R93
    Very, very nice!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Cool project

NICE , my advice , take your time & do it right the 1st time & once done , treasure it & donot ever sell it , as its like a custom car , you will never get your money back on it .

I have built 2 sniper builds , and both took a fair bit of time , & I almost gave up on one , BUT I stuck to it , very happy with both , a USMC M40A1 build , and a super rare Canadian C3A1 build ( Parker Hale M87 rifle ) , funny that both use a steel 10x scope , USO MST-100 , modified Unertl type scope .

Donot take short cuts & where ever possible use the right/correct parts etc .

I buildt mine to be as close to the real thing as possible , they ARE however , made to be shooters as well as look COOL .

Later Chris

With the US vintage sniper rifle market growing fast in popularity it is going to be harder and harder to get original parts for those kind of build. Good luck with your project, you are on the right path.

Great advice. This is my third Springfield rebuild and they do take ages. My first USMC sniper Unertl took a while to come up (looked for 6 years) and then you have to be in a favorable financial position to actually get it! And it's not still not an original USMC marked scope (I could buy 10+ 1903 rifles for what they go for)
    I like to have a few projects on the go, that way there's usually something going on in the gun room.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    NICE , my advice , take your time & do it right the 1st time & once done , treasure it & donot ever sell it , as its like a custom car , you will never get your money back on it .

I have built 2 sniper builds , and both took a fair bit of time , & I almost gave up on one , BUT I stuck to it , very happy with both , a USMC M40A1 build , and a super rare Canadian C3A1 build ( Parker Hale M87 rifle ) , funny that both use a steel 10x scope , USO MST-100 , modified Unertl type scope .

Donot take short cuts & where ever possible use the right/correct parts etc .

I buildt mine to be as close to the real thing as possible , they ARE however , made to be shooters as well as look COOL .

Later Chris

Looking real nice T will you be allowed to shoot it
    Stay off the ridgeline.
    The only good assumption is to assume that movement, shape, colour, sound, is always human. Follow this rule and identify your target.

Only if I find a scope. Alaskans are not thick on the ground!