Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: 2-Stroketastic!!!

How does it drive the tire? Friction drive on the tread? direct drive? chain an sprokets? gears?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How does it drive the tire? Friction drive on the tread? direct drive? chain an sprokets? gears?
    It has a friction drive. Basically out of the motor, directly connected to the crank is what looks like the knurled handle of a socket wrench. The drive spindle is about 19mm in diameter and the wheel is roughly 190mm in diameter...so giving it roughly a 10:1 gear ratio.

This knurled drive is a direct drive...i.e. no clutch, so when the motor is going, so are you. It's single speed, no gears. The engine should top out at 19,000 rpm (give or take). I haven't done the math, but it will do about 40-50km/h. Doesn't sound fast, but it will get to top speed pretty quickly!

As the tire wears, you can move the tire up to meet the motor which is in a fixed position.

Very simple design. It does have a few negatives, but overall its perfect for this application.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    It has a friction drive. Basically out of the motor, directly connected to the crank is what looks like the knurled handle of a socket wrench. The drive spindle is about 19mm in diameter and the wheel is roughly 190mm in diameter...so giving it roughly a 10:1 gear ratio.

This knurled drive is a direct drive...i.e. no clutch, so when the motor is going, so are you. It's single speed, no gears. The engine should top out at 19,000 rpm (give or take). I haven't done the math, but it will do about 40-50km/h. Doesn't sound fast, but it will get to top speed pretty quickly!

As the tire wears, you can move the tire up to meet the motor which is in a fixed position.

Very simple design. It does have a few negatives, but overall its perfect for this application.
    Ah so a smart(or silly) man with a lathe could gear it up to take advantage of the extra power

Careful we don't want any attempts at the Darwin awards

50km/h will seem like warp 3 when you are on that tiny thing, Those small wheels wont stop too fast either!

BTW I love it already, it looks like all motor and expansion chamber.
    kimjon likes this.

Yes VC you're on to it, but at the cost of acceleration. Standard spindle size is 0.6", because of the extra power I'm hoping/banking on getting from my porting and other mods, I've gone to 0.75" spindle diameter. This will hopefully raise top end speed from about 30-40kph to about the expected 40-50kph I'm going for.

Hopefully it doesn't bog too much at the low end due to the taller gear ratio...but only time will tell?
    veitnamcam likes this.

Looking sick Kimjon, at 50kmph I'd say you are going to scare hrs elf and any citizens nearby shitless when you scream past them on the footpath.
    You are going to have to post a video.
    Maybe down the greyhound track riding it dressed as a rabbit?
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

I think I need one!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

But can it drift?
    veitnamcam likes this.

My parts arrived from the U.S. today. Ebay rocks!

Anyway, just waiting on one last package, some fancy billet clamps, but for now two $0.02 cable ties will do just fine.

So as they say..."that's a wrap!" The photos don't do it justice, I spent hours polishing all the aluminium to look like chrome, and every detail has had an obsessive amount of attention.

My wife is back from her holiday, I can see her eyes glaze over as soon as I mention this project...I'm going to be banned from talking about it around her soon, I can feel it

So as silly a project this is, I'm pretty happy with what I've made. Now is time to ride it, well maybe tomorrow...it's dark outside and raining right now...

Kj
    Last edited by kimjon; 05-05-2016 at 09:23 PM.

And after the test ride you can order the Nos kit
    kimjon, Beaker and deadidick like this.

Rain could make it really imteresting!!
    veitnamcam, kimjon and Beaker like this.

Fuck yea! Looks bad arse all right.
    kimjon likes this.

Okay, yeah/nah...won't be in a hurry to fit nitrous oxide to it...pretty fast alright, definitely not disappointed in its performance that's for sure.

This thing is a beast! Wants to run fast, does bog a little from its idle, but from low/mid range upwards the power band is massive. If you keep it out of absolute idle, i.e. low/mid upwards there is power to burn with very quick throttle response. Best I can describe the feeling is like running any performance car/bike as if stuck in second gear.
    veitnamcam and deadidick like this.

Ejected
    So gopro footage?

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    Okay, yeah/nah...won't be in a hurry to fit nitrous oxide to it...pretty fast alright, definitely not disappointed in its performance that's for sure.

This thing is a beast! Wants to run fast, does bog a little from its idle, but from low/mid range upwards the power band is massive. If you keep it out of absolute idle, i.e. low/mid upwards there is power to burn with very quick throttle response. Best I can describe the feeling is like running any performance car/bike as if stuck in second gear.
    Bigger pinion on its way then ay

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    deadidick likes this.